Sneezing

Dan05979

Why is it when someone near you sneezes some of us have to say either "god bless you" or "gezundheit"? And then if you don't they look at you like you just landed from the moon lol?

I'm going to start saying "Thank you for spreading your germs" or "Hey man you sprayed me"

Anybody with me on my thoughts?

Why is it when someone near you sneezes some of us have to say either "god bless you" or "gezundheit"? And then if you don't they look at you like you just landed from the moon lol?

I'm going to start saying "Thank you for spreading your germs" or "Hey man you sprayed me"

LOL! Dan you're a trip! X-D

For me when people sneeze I don't say anything. I don't know why...I just don't. In addition, when I sneeze I don't really expect people to say "bless you" to me at all. I'm gonna avoid sneezing altogether in public or whenever I'm around people period.

I always say "gezundheit" when someone that I know sneezes. Why we say "god bless you" or "gezundheit"? We're used to saying them.

Right we say it because other people say it and so on and so on. And I hope you sneezers sneeze on your arms not your hands so I don't have to touch you, you pigs.

Right we say it because other people say it and so on and so on. And I hope you sneezers sneeze on your arms not your hands so I don't have to touch you, you pigs.

Yep, I sneeze in the cuff of my arm. Been doing that since I was young anyway and I grew into it.

When I was young my grandma used to tell me that because you stop breathing when you sneeze, you should say salud, or bless you because the devil couldn't care less if the person ever breathed again.

Hearing a girl say bless you in Spanish after you sneeze = being in heaven lol

What would happen if someone did? :eek:

;)

Then I'll say "Do you mind?" and if they start with me they'll get a nice whallop in the face :)

A-choooo!!!! LOL

Same goes for you. B)

This thread made me remember this event involving a few friends of mine who challenged each other to see who could be the oddest out in public one night without getting arrested, constituting an immediate failure. We had until the time we separated to pull stunts. I didn't take part in the game, for reasons not to be disclosed in this post. While waiting at a restaurant with like 30 other people, my friend sneezed and someone remarked "God bless you!" He paused and looked up at her and said (this is essentially verbatim), "God? God, you say? What 'God?' Where? Who? How? Why? When will this "God" show himself? I take offense to your statement regarding "God" because to me, Madam, there is no "God." If there were such a "God," then why is there death in the world? Why is there famine? Poverty? Disease? War? Ma'am, I ask you: if your "God" really did exist, then why am I STILL waiting in line, why am I sneezing and why are you preaching your religion to me?"

This rant resulted in the hostess taking our buzzer box away and a mortified look upon the face of that poor lady and those within earshot. :eek:

I tell you what, there's nothing like a good hard sneeze to clean you out, especially when there back to back.

I remember this girl I was with used to sneeze like a mouse would, very funny stuff.

And how many of you's sneeze and let one slip out the cheeks at the same time? Liars.

This dude Dan is a trip.... lmao

I never sneezed, then farted... that's on some other shit, bro...

about the mouse thing... funny, I knew a couple girls like that also (their sneezes sounded like... "ha-cheeee", rather than "haaa-choooo")... it was kinda cute soundin.... long as they aint sneeze around me though...

as far as blessing people when they sneeze.... I never quite understood that....

Why am I blessing you for? When I sneeze, I don't bless myself....

I don't know you. I don't want your blessings - they are meaningless.

Call me rude, call me cynical, I don't care.

People look for any avenue/medium to try to communicate with people.

Let me put it this way.....

You sneeze ON me, you're gonna NEED blessings.

One of the most disgusting habits people have (especially on the subway) is coughing, yawning, and/or sneezing w/o covering they f***in' mouths...

Can't say that, I'm afraid. Anytime someone sneezes, I usually do say "Bless you!" or "Gesundheit!" I even say that when they cough (this part here because I was raised that way).

These days, people usually use these terms because it's considered polite. You sneeze, you respond with these phrases. It's just common courtesy here in the states. Sneezing and having a loved one NOT "excuse" you is viewed as rude and leaves a bad impression.

The only time I DON'T "bless" them is when they sneeze or cough without covering their mouths. I find intentionally not containing a sneeze disgusting, and it's a big pet peeve of mine.

he'll smack you with the walking stick

And God bless you if you're a little boy and you sneeze on the Pope...:eek::eek::eek:

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that you heart stops when you sneeze, so in the old days when you sneezed people said "God Bless You" so that you would be blessed and would continue on living. So I really don't see why this is still a courtesy when it doesn't even mean anything anymore.

Archived