Spending a day touring the buses?

joshcamp

Hello all,

I'll be spending a couple days in the city in a few weeks. I live near Philly and usually I'll make a weekend trip every month or two. Great for a sanity break! I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for a one-day bus itinerary?

I'm doing the same thing with the subways too the day before. I plan on doing the Brighton Line down to Coney Island, F to Roosevelt Ave, the 7 to the World's Fair grounds, and eventually the A out to Far Rockaway and back. And of course, a stop at the Transit Museum.

But any ideas for the buses? There's only one thing I specifically plan on doing, and that's to take a late afternoon SI ferry down and an evening X1 back up. (How crowded are they going to Manhattan in the early evening?)

I'm staying in the Upper West Side but I could start anywhere within reason. And I'm more interested in the scenery and geography than the specific types of buses or things like that.

Thanks for any help ;)

Hello all,

I'll be spending a couple days in the city in a few weeks. I live near Philly and usually I'll make a weekend trip every month or two. Great for a sanity break! I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for a one-day bus itinerary?

I'm doing the same thing with the subways too the day before. I plan on doing the Brighton Line down to Coney Island, F to Roosevelt Ave, the 7 to the World's Fair grounds, and eventually the A out to Far Rockaway and back. And of course, a stop at the Transit Museum.

But any ideas for the buses? There's only one thing I specifically plan on doing, and that's to take a late afternoon SI ferry down and an evening X1 back up. (How crowded are they going to Manhattan in the early evening?)

I'm staying in the Upper West Side but I could start anywhere within reason. And I'm more interested in the scenery and geography than the specific types of buses or things like that.

Thanks for any help ;)

Welcome aboard Josh. Don't forget to bring up some tastykake snacks up from Philly as well LOL for us.

As far as busfanning in NYC goes here are some of my favorites (you don't have to follow them)that is worth the trip IMO that is scenic. Note most involves buses crossing Bridges or near bodies of water. Make sure you get a schedule mainly for the express buses like the X1 and X17 since outside of rush hours, they run every 20-60 minutes.

Q44/QBX1 between Main/Roosevelt Flushing Transit Center (7)and the Bronx via the Whitestone Bridge.

X1/X10/X17(the full time SI-Manhattan bus routes) Also the S53/79 over the Verrzano Between SI and Brooklyn at the 86th St (R) Bay Ridge Transit Center.

M5 Riverside Drive section between 72nd and Bway. and 135th St/Bway. with views of the GW Bridge and the Hudson River.

Q60/Q32 between Manhattan's East Midtown at 2nd Ave/60th St and LI City aka Queens Plaza (E)(R)(M) and Queensboro Station (N)(Q)(7) lines for great view on the 59th St (Queensboro)Bridge.

Q35 between Kings Plaza in Brooklyn and the Rockaways in Queens via Marine Park/Gil Hodges Bridge.

Q53 along the Cross Bay Bridge between Howard Beach and the Rockaways in Queens.

If you have time, you might want also to check out (MTA) LI Bus which mainly serves Nassau County, Long Island and Beeline Buses which serves Westchester County, NY as well and both take Metrocards.

I am sure the other guys have more suggestions. Good luck.:tup:

Excellent suggestions! I'll do at least a few of those.

What are your favorites just within Manhattan? I'm definitely doing the M4 up to the Cloisters, and maybe the M5 back down? Any other suggestions?

LOL there's a Tastykake factory outlet right down the road for me, so I can get everything 75% off. Never going to the grocery store for my Krimpets ever again ;)

Small list of Neighborhoods/historic sites in NYC to check out IMO

Coney Island/Brighton Beach- (D)(N)(Q)(F) to Stillwell or the (Q) or (;)-runs Monday-Fridays Only to Brighton Beach.

Harlem aka 125th St especially the Apollo.

Bronx Zoo (2) to Pelham Pwy/White Plains Rd station then transfer to the BX12 LOCAL marked either Sedwick or Inwood-Bound (westbound)couple of stops.

City Island-If you really enjoy good seafood resturants cheaper than Manhattan. (6) to Pelham Bay than the BX29 to City Island. Also great views of the Whitestone and Throgs Neck Bridges along with parts of Long Island shore.

Prospect Park- (Q) or (:) to Prospect Park or (F) to 15th St/Prospect Park west stops.

Chinatown/Little Italy at the Canal St (6)(N)(Q)(R) and (J) lines dowtown.

Don't forget the many museums along 5th Ave between 40th and 96th Sts as well.

For Busfanning purposes within or close to Manhattan that makes you combine touring my choices are in no order.

M5, M104 (travels along Bway between Times Sq and 125th) M101/102/103 (along Lex/3rd between 125th and Downtown) and the M60 which runs along the RFK Triboro Bridge between Columbia Univ and LGA airport.

And buddy if you can afford it get either 7-day or 14-day unlimited metrocards which are also accepted on the outerboro 'express' buses from Manhattan like the X1 and X17. Sadly the 1-day 'fun' unlimited MC are not accepted on the 'express' buses.

Hope it helps. Send me a PM (private message) if any more questions.

I would recommend the M10 (M10) for its' Central Park West section - West 59th Street to West 110th Street.

Similiarly, the M1 (M1) Fifth Avenue bus southbound (northbound is Madison Avenue) but from Marcus Garvey Park (120th Street) to 42d Street. In addition to Central Park (on your left), you'll see sights such as The Museum Of The City Of New York and the New York Public Library with its' two famous lions.

Just remember to buy 2 1-Day Fun Passes for your trips. They are $8.25 each and allow you to use the local buses and subways as much as you want for 1 day. However, they don't work on the express buses, so the fare is $5.50 when you use a Pay-Per Ride MetroCard (recommended) or coins.

I would recommend the 7-Day Pass for $27 or the 7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard for $45, but you say you are only staying for the weekend.

If you plan on using 7 or more express trips during your stay, in addition to the local trips, the Express Bus MetroCard might be a good deal after all.

Have fun!

You can use the Q53 to get from the (7) to Rockaway Blvd. on the (A). It only takes about 20-30 minutes and saves you a lot of time than by commuting between those two areas by subway. It's a fast, scenic route with a lot of open stretches.

For the bus, if you have time, spend it on some Queens Village routes. The Q46 is a great run, especially east of Francis Lewis Blvd., and so is the Q88 if traffic is light. The Q64 is rather quick, and also offers a scenic route in Electchester.

Buses cross bridges

Broadway Bridge: Bx7, Bx20 Peak Only, BxM1.

University Heights Bridge: Bx12 Select Bus Service- paid at bus stop to get proof of payment. During summer season, Bx12 local service to/from Orchard Beach are available, where you could paid onboard the bus.

Washington Bridge: Bx3, Bx11, Bx13, Bx35, Bx36/LTD.

145th St Bridge: Bx6

Madison Av Bridge: Bx33, BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, Bee-Line BxM4C.

3rd & Willis Av Bridges: Mostly Bx15.

Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (formelly Triboro Bridge): M35 (Not recommended), M60, BxM6, BxM7, BxM7A, BxM9, BxM10, BxM11, BxM18.

Roosevelt Island/36th Av Bridge: RIOC Tram (S)- You must paid $1 with cash fare, Q102.

Queensboro Bridge aka 59th St Bridge: Q32, Q60, Q101, QM1, QM2/A, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM10, QM12, QM15, QM16, QM18, QM21, QM24, X63, X64, X68, RIOC Tram (S) Bus ($1, you need to paid with cash fare)

Subway (N) and weekday (Q)

Williamsburg Bridge:

Subway (J)(Z) and Weekday (M), most express buses from Downtown Manhattan except for BM and Staten Island Buses.

Bronx Whitestone Bridge:

Q44: Please note because of NYCDOT turning restriction, northbound bus stop at Main St & 38th Av by Citibank, while southbound stop at Main St & 39th Av in front of church, where QBx1 used to drop-off.

QBx1: Please note because of NYCDOT turning restriction, QBx1 bus stop is shared with Q19, Q48 and Q66 at Roosevelt Av & Main St opposite Burger King.

Cross Bay Bridge-Joseph Adappolo Bridge- Q21/Q53 LTD

Marine Parkway Bridge: Q35

Verrazaro Narrows Bridge: S53/S92/S79 and most express buses that goes on Gowanus Expressway.

Westchester County Bee-Line Buses:

W1T which travels near Hudson River from beautiful neighborhood of Riverdale, Bronx to Tarryown, NY.

W3/W43 along Sprain Brook Parkway- beautiful and scenic parkway

W15.

MTA Long Island Bus:

Most Long Island Bus routes travel beautiful scenic routes.

City of Long Beach Bus is also beautiful along.

You might want to take N69 to Point Lookout- very scenic.

If you plan to change from N15 or N33, you must ask for transfer to Long Beach Bus, and bus operator will give you transfer. Bus back on N69 is $2 cash fare, $1.50 for within Long Beach.

You might also want to try out Tappan Zee Express, which is very beautiful and cross wonderful Tappan Zee Bridge.

If you take any Bee-Line buses that goes to White Plains, you must tell bus operator, Tappan Zee transfer and they give to you and you only paid $2.00 cash fare return trip.

I would recommend the M10 (M10) for its' Central Park West section - West 59th Street to West 110th Street.

Similiarly, the M1 (M1) Fifth Avenue bus southbound (northbound is Madison Avenue) but from Marcus Garvey Park (120th Street) to 42d Street. In addition to Central Park (on your left), you'll see sights such as The Museum Of The City Of New York and the New York Public Library with its' two famous lions.

Please note, on weekends, M1 makes final stop at 5th Av & 108th St and goes back uptown.

Small list of Neighborhoods/historic sites in NYC to check out IMO

Coney Island/Brighton Beach- (D)(N)(Q)(F) to Stillwell or the (Q) or (:P-runs Monday-Fridays Only to Brighton Beach.

Harlem aka 125th St especially the Apollo.

Bronx Zoo (2) to Pelham Pwy/White Plains Rd station then transfer to the BX12 LOCAL marked either Sedwick or Inwood-Bound (westbound)couple of stops.

City Island-If you really enjoy good seafood resturants cheaper than Manhattan. (6) to Pelham Bay than the BX29 to City Island. Also great views of the Whitestone and Throgs Neck Bridges along with parts of Long Island shore.

Prospect Park- (Q) or (:P to Prospect Park or (F) to 15th St/Prospect Park west stops.

Chinatown/Little Italy at the Canal St (6)(N)(Q)(R) and (J) lines dowtown.

Don't forget the many museums along 5th Ave between 40th and 96th Sts as well.

For Busfanning purposes within or close to Manhattan that makes you combine touring my choices are in no order.

M5, M104 (travels along Bway between Times Sq and 125th) M101/102/103 (along Lex/3rd between 125th and Downtown) and the M60 which runs along the RFK Triboro Bridge between Columbia Univ and LGA airport.

And buddy if you can afford it get either 7-day or 14-day unlimited metrocards which are also accepted on the outerboro 'express' buses from Manhattan like the X1 and X17. Sadly the 1-day 'fun' unlimited MC are not accepted on the 'express' buses.

Hope it helps. Send me a PM (private message) if any more questions.

Don't you mean 7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard and Regular MetroCard is only one accepted on express buses like X1, Atlantic Express X23/X24, Bee-Line BxM4C, but this card is not accepted on MTA Long Island Bus, because Long Island does not have express buses.

7-Day and 14-Day Pass are just like 1-Day Fun Pass, not accepted on $5.50 express bus.

Yuki, you're overloading the poor guy with so many routes, he's gonna get confused..... This is why I don't just blurt out random recommended routes to take..... Consider the fact that Philadelphia isn't split up into "boroughs"....

What time do you want you bus fan trip to start and end?? I have a great suggestion, but I need to know how much time I am working with.

Joshcamp, I have the same question as East New York.... give us a projected total trip time (especially since you want to tour on a weekend)....

I can definitely fit in, a trip on the Staten Island Ferry & the x1, if you'd like....

Wow, lots of great suggestions. Thanks guys! I'm not new to all of this, lol, I spend a weekend in the city every month or two. I've just never specifically tried to cram a bunch of buses in one day. Figured I might as well go for it :P

East NY - I'm pretty flexible regarding time. Earliest I could start would be about 8 am, and as long as I'm back in Midtown by 7 or so, the rest of the day is up for grabs. It would be great if I could combine my subway ideas with some bus trips into one day, but I could spread it over two days if needed. And it'd a Monday and/or Tuesday, if that makes any difference.

Don't forget to bring up some tastykake snacks up from Philly as well LOL for us.

Nothing goes better than Phillies Baseball than Tastykakes! lol

Also, there is a Cheesesteak place on 3 Avenue between 12 and 13 Streets (99 Miles to Philly). It is near the (4)(5)(6)(N)(Q)(R)(L) trains.

Archived