Court Reduces Jury Award to Woman Hit by Subway Train

Trainspotter

Court Reduces Jury Award to Woman Hit by Subway Train

A woman who was hit by a subway train while stooping to pick up her Bible from a Manhattan station platform is entitled to damages, but less than half of what a jury had awarded her, an appellate court ruled on Tuesday.

The four-judge panel of the Appellate Division of State Supreme Court in Manhattan reduced the damages awarded to the woman, Alice Huang, to $11.5 million, from $28.5 million.

The judges, ruling unanimously, affirmed the jury’s finding that the conductor had failed to look to the front and back of the train before signaling the operator to go. As a result, the judges said, the operator did not see Ms. Huang, then an 18-year-old art student, as she tried to pick up the book she had dropped while getting off the train in 2001. Her hip was crushed by an F train as she was dragged down the platform at the West 23rd Street station.

David Dean, Ms. Huang’s lawyer, said on Wednesday that the decision was “a fair analysis of the evidence,” and that Ms. Huang was delighted. “Alice is such a lovely and genteel person that it’s possible that the jury, as we were, was impressed with that, and perhaps even overly appreciated her loss,” Mr. Dean said, adding that with interest, the award against the New York City Transit Authority would come to $12.5 million.

He said that Ms. Huang, who still walks with crutches, is trying to graduate to a cane, and hopes to regain the confidence to pursue a career.

The defense lawyer, Wallace Gossett, told The Associated Press that the transit agency would appeal to the Court of Appeals.

She dropped her bible on the subway platform? Why didn't she just take it in the bathroom with her, and do #1 and #2 directly on it. It would of been cleaner, than dropping it on the platform floor. She got what happened cause Lawdy punished her, for dropping her bible there of all places.

The judges, ruling unanimously, affirmed the jury’s finding that the conductor had failed to look to the front and back of the train before signaling the operator to go. As a result, the judges said, the operator did not see Ms. Huang, then an 18-year-old art student, as she tried to pick up the book she had dropped while getting off the train in 2001. Her hip was crushed by an F train as she was dragged down the platform at the West 23rd Street station.

I'm confused by where she would have dropped the bible that this would have happened. Not only does this article unnecessary muddle things by claiming first that she was "hit" by the train, but it says she was dragged, causing her injuries. But if she got stuck in the doors, the T/O shouldn't have got indication, and therefore wouldn't of been able to take power.

And secondly, if you drop anything on the platform, particularly near the train, you have to be VERY aware of your surroundings at all times, you can't just go get something cuz it "looks like the coast is clear" - a lot of 12-9's happen that way "oh i dropped my phone, hang on let me go get it i'll be back up in 2 seconds"... yeah she gets her ridiculous and huge payout, but i'm sure she'd rather walk normally for the rest of her life and have to spend a few bucks to replace the bible than limp around with assistance at a very young age, develop an arthritic hip later in life, and have to fork over a big chunk of her settlement to her lawyer anyway.

The real outrage is that we're paying for this woman's stupidity. It's our train fare, from the good people of New York, that are paying for this addlebrained woman's multi-million dollar settlement. The judges who ruled in her favor in this case are incompetent and deserve to be removed from the bench.

Hell, I sure wish I'd break my leg and get hit by a train! If I'm getting twelve million dollars in pocket afterwards, I'd say it's entirely worth it! "Goodbye, 167th Street, it's been nice knowing ya! The good people of New York have given me a settlement, and now I'm living it up in my palatial waterfront mansion on the shores of Miami, Florida!"

She shouldn't be thanking God. She should be thanking the judges.

"Our Judges, Who Art In The Appelate Court Of The State Of New York, Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done...."

Its the fortune she has been waiting for!

I hope she uses that money for good will....

Its the fortune she has been waiting for!

I hope she uses that money for good will....

Probably her own good will...lord knows being an aspiring artist she needed all the money she could get...

Creativity doesn't pay rent...

Archived