Cell Service and Wi-Fi Coming to NYC Subway Underground Soon

trainspot12

Quoted from the NY Daily News: Monday, July 26, 2010

"Subway riders, can you hear me now?

A stalled plan to provide cellular and Wi-Fi service in all 277 underground subway stations is back on track, sources said.

Transit Wireless will soon start work on wiring stations so riders can make calls and send texts during everyday travels - and during emergencies."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/26/2010-07-26_a_hard_cell_but_mtas_finally_sold.html#ixzz0unRDKpHw

Great! Now I can call to complain about the nasty conditions in the station and the fact that the train is late while still in the station!!

This plan is still going to cost the MTA at least some money- someone has to pay to power all of these new antennas and electrical cables. Plus, if one technician accidentally hits the wrong cable, it can cause serious disruptions. The fewer non-MTA people playing around in our ancient tunnels with our ancient technology, the better

People use the word "soon" to broadly these days. The East Side Access project will be ready soon. The Second Avenue Subway will be ready soon. The (7) Extension will be ready soon. In that case, let me get the popcorn going and I'll watch and see how "soon" everything will magically appear in the next three minutes.

People use the word "soon" to broadly these days. The East Side Access project will be ready soon. The Second Avenue Subway will be ready soon. The (7) Extension will be ready soon. In that case, let me get the popcorn going and I'll watch and see how "soon" everything will magically appear in the next three minutes.

I feel the same way sometimes, but then again, "soon" has a different meaning to some people.

well the article says

"Under the original agreement, Transit Wireless was to rig the first batch of Manhattan stations within two years of getting the construction go-ahead. The company would then have four years to wire all other stations."

so... 2016?

Can I join too? By the time that I die, everything won't be ready.

When this actualy happens and i can use my smartphone underground that will be the day when pigs and trains Fly above the city without tracks.

Then get ready to see flying bacon and floating R188s around 2016.

Wonderful, now every a**hole with a phone is going to be running their damn mouth about their personal problems. Here's to hoping EVERY subway train gets an HVAC/AC unit as loud as the R142's.

I agree with you on that, I don't want to hear that shit ether.

I can not wait for some people proposed to MTA that there needs to be no talking outloud using a handheld device section of all subway cars or even on the platforms.

Or they should do it like in Japan, no cell phones conversations on trains.

Alright seriously, I barely see people talking on the subway with their phones on the above ground stations nor buses. People seem to take the fact that others are in the immediate proximity and do not appreciate loud conversations. People primarily would just text away and use the applications on their smartphones. I would be listening to more radio stations than the few songs on my phone over and over when I'm underground on the subway.

Alright seriously, I barely see people talking on the subway with their phones on the above ground stations nor buses. People seem to take the fact that others are in the immediate proximity and do not appreciate loud conversations. People primarily would just text away and use the applications on their smartphones. I would be listening to more radio stations than the few songs on my phone over and over when I'm underground on the subway.

You need to ride more during rush hours even on weekends especially on the Manhattan Bridge going towards Brooklyn, also train outside heading towards Coney Island. Even on the Flushing line during busy hours. I am sure other lines experience as well with the same issues.

Archived