Cell Service and Wi-Fi Coming to NYC Subway Underground Soon

trainspot12

Alright seriously, I barely see people talking on the subway with their phones on the above ground stations nor buses.

Then you either don't ride enough or you're not paying attention, because they do it, and it's obnoxious. Buses are in fact one of the WORST for that which is one of the many reasons I don't take buses very often.

I ride those lines all the time. I probably dont notice enough because I'm plugged in with headphones. Listen to music and it shouldnt bother you too much. Who are obnoxious are crowds of kids afterschool.....

While crowds of kids are obnoxious, that doesn't excuse obnoxious cell phone users. Just because you choose to "plug in" doesn't mean that others should have to also. There's a reason services like Peter Pan and Amtrak insist in their riding rules that cell phone conversations be kept BRIEF and LOW VOLUME, and only if NECESSARY.

Yes, cell phone users can be annoying but seriously it is not that bad. If conditions are going to be apocalyptic in the subway when it receives cell phone service, then what makes it any different from elevated service? In fact, it's going to be even quieter than elevated service since people won't be talking on the train, since the tunnels themselves won't be wired.

You need to ride more during rush hours even on weekends especially on the Manhattan Bridge going towards Brooklyn, also train outside heading towards Coney Island. Even on the Flushing line during busy hours. I am sure other lines experience as well with the same issues.

Heck, I see people making calls on 125 Street on the (1).

Great! Now I can call to complain about the nasty conditions in the station and the fact that the train is late while still in the station!!

This plan is still going to cost the MTA at least some money- someone has to pay to power all of these new antennas and electrical cables. Plus, if one technician accidentally hits the wrong cable, it can cause serious disruptions. The fewer non-MTA people playing around in our ancient tunnels with our ancient technology, the better

SMH, and BTW, no antennas are used. Its all wiring with fiber optic cable.

How can a fiber optic cable transmit or receive an RF signal?

It cant, there will have to be repeater stations installed. Antennas and copper cable is what will be used. And who knows how safe that can be bursting high wattage microwave signals in enclosed tunnels isnt too healthy.

*Sigh* I don't want this too happen now I have to listen to peoples dramatic phone calls on my ride home,school or elsewhere it's bad enough I'll have a 1hr 15min ride round trip 2hr30min to/from school Kingsbridge to Euclid Av(Transit Tech) I gotta listen to b.s convos loud mouth people it's already bad on the (4) and (D).

It cant, there will have to be repeater stations installed. Antennas and copper cable is what will be used. And who knows how safe that can be bursting high wattage microwave signals in enclosed tunnels isnt too healthy.
Its called radiating cable to be exact. And BTW, I was joking when i said fiber optic i wanted to know who knew their stuff on here. And to the person who said high wattage signals, high wattage signals will not have to be used because the cable will be running along the upper side of the tunnel. Theres no reason to have to run a high power. And BTW, its not the power that is all the factor, its something called Gain.

Archived