'Jailbreaking' ruled legal: iPhone users can now unlock devices

Harry

Owners of the iPhone will be able to legally unlock their devices so they can run software applications that haven't been approved by Apple Inc., according to new government rules announced Monday.

The decision to allow the practice commonly known as ''jailbreaking'' is one of a handful of new exemptions from a 1998 federal law that prohibits people from bypassing technical measures that companies put on their products to prevent unauthorized use of copyright-protected material. The Library of Congress, which oversees the Copyright Office, reviews and authorizes exemptions every three years to ensure that the law does not prevent certain non-infringing uses of copyright-protected works.

For iPhone jailbreakers, the new rules effectively legitimize a practice that has been operating in a legal gray area by exempting it from liability. Apple claims that jailbreaking is an unauthorized modification of its software.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/07/26/2010-07-26_jailbreaking_ruled_legal_iphone_users_can_now_unlock_devices_run_nonapple_approv.html#ixzz0uqR323uz

post-1-133288582121_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582121_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if this means if we can use the iPhone with another GSM network (e.g. T-Mobile). Even so, I wouldn't want to anyway as I'm pretty much done with T-Mobile.

The article is a bit misleading. Alot of people think that the words "jailbreak" and "unlock" can be used interchangeably even though those two words mean completely different things. To "jailbreak" means to use an exploit to let you install Cydia that lets you download unapproved apps, themes, ringtones, and lots of tweaks that will never see the App Store. To "unlock" means to make the iphone run on other carriers. The article is titled " 'Jailbreaking' ruled legal: iPhone users can now unlock devices, run non-Apple approved software" is incorrect because they use the word "unlock" instead of "jailbreak" which will further confuse people. A better word to use than "unlock" is "hack" which makes more sense andit avoids the repetitivness of using the word "jailbreak" twice.So in short, Jailbreaking is legal while unlocking is still illegal.

The article is a bit misleading. Alot of people think that the words "jailbreak" and "unlock" can be used interchangeably even though those two words mean completely different things. To "jailbreak" means to use an exploit to let you install Cydia that lets you download unapproved apps, themes, ringtones, and lots of tweaks that will never see the App Store. To "unlock" means to make the iphone run on other carriers. The article is titled " 'Jailbreaking' ruled legal: iPhone users can now unlock devices, run non-Apple approved software" is incorrect because they use the word "unlock" instead of "jailbreak" which will further confuse people. A better word to use than "unlock" is "hack" which makes more sense andit avoids the repetitivness of using the word "jailbreak" twice.So in short, Jailbreaking is legal while unlocking is still illegal.

Unlocking been legal since day 1. I don't know where you got the idea that unlocking phones were illegal. All it takes to unlock a CDMA is reflash of the software in most cases.

I'm not sure if this means if we can use the iPhone with another GSM network (e.g. T-Mobile). Even so, I wouldn't want to anyway as I'm pretty much done with T-Mobile.

Both unlocking and jailbreaking is legal now. In fact, jailbreaking/unlocking was never illegal, but you could still get sued or prosecuted if Apple caught you.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-officially-legal/

Archived