New iPhone app for NJ Transit trains

klimchuk

Hi

For the last 3.5 years I was commuting every day on NJ Transit from NJ to Manhattan,NY and back.Sometimes it was not a good experience because of delays or other problems like broken train or wires. So I decided to write an iPhone application which will help to catch the train in such conditions. Eventually it became more than that: advisories, maps, DepartureVision and integration with njtransit.com web site

Check it out www.njt-rails.com

Hi

For the last 3.5 years I was commuting every day on NJ Transit from NJ to Manhattan,NY and back.Sometimes it was not a good experience because of delays or other problems like broken train or wires. So I decided to write an iPhone application which will help to catch the train in such conditions. Eventually it became more than that: advisories, maps, DepartureVision and integration with njtransit.com web site

Check it out www.njt-rails.com

Wow!! This is really nice. Good job! Have you considered doing one for MTA, and perhaps a Blackberry app as well?

Wow!! This is really nice. Good job! Have you considered doing one for MTA, and perhaps a Blackberry app as well?

Well, not for now. It's personal project and I'm the only developer :)

Besides I was thinking there was an app for MTA. Am I wrong?

There is an app for MTA, but it's only for train arrival times, and the other is for the same, only by txt.

Make an app for trains much simpler than for buses. You have limited number of routes with 10 stops or so. It's not a problem to transfer all info directly to mobile device for offline usage.

Buses are different story. GTFS file for NJ Transit buses takes 116MB

Just not possible to use such amount of information in offline mode. There should be web app instead and it makes less sense to build mobile app for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Great app - just installed it on my iPhone. Very well thought out and easy to use (and that's saying a lot for some iPhone apps).

Be nice to put in the PATH train running frequency based on Hoboken arrival times, since that sometimes affects selecting which NJ Transit train to take.

Great app - just installed it on my iPhone. Very well thought out and easy to use (and that's saying a lot for some iPhone apps).

Be nice to put in the PATH train running frequency based on Hoboken arrival times, since that sometimes affects selecting which NJ Transit train to take.

Thank you for positive feedback!

I really don't know where to take PATH schedules for now but will try to find out.

Thank you for positive feedback!

I really don't know where to take PATH schedules for now but will try to find out.

Right on the website for PATH they have the schedules.

Finding out the exact times for the trains during the rush hours might be difficult.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived