Equipment failure delays 2nd Ave. subway AGAIN!

LRG

Tunneling the Second Ave. subway has been "plagued" by equipment breakdowns, a top MTA executive said Monday - once again slowing progress on the long-awaited East Side line.

The giant tunnel boring machine is carving through Manhattan bedrock an average of only about 14 feet a day - less than half the rate expected in the first stage of tunneling, the executive said at a Metropolitan Transportation Authority committee meeting.

"We have yet to achieve the productivity I was hoping [for]," said Michael Horodniceanu, president of the MTA Captital Construction Co. "We were plagued by a lot of technical problems."

The 400-foot machine started heading south under Second Ave. near 96th St. in mid June. Since then, the driveshaft broke and had to be replaced and there have been problems with electronic components and hydraulics systems, he said.

Horodniceanu said he believed the tunneling contractor has fixed the problems, which are not uncommon in the first month or so after activating a tunnel boring machine.

The MTA has pushed back the completion date for the project several times, most recently to December 2016.

And the Federal Transit Administration last month sent a letter to the authority say it would likely be delayed again - to February 2018.

In the letter, FTA Administrator Peter Rogoff said the project was affected by high construction costs but also said key management positions were not filled for months and delays resulted from design changes.

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/27/2010-07-27_equipment_failure_delays_2nd_ave_subway_again.html/index.html

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They should have orderd 4 tbms then it would have been done sooner and Quicker than just waiting with 1 to do all that work. what a dumb idea to do so not smart at all at this rate the sas may be never be finished.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They should have orderd 4 tbms then it would have been done sooner and Quicker than just waiting with 1 to do all that work. what a dumb idea to do so not smart at all at this rate the sas may be never be finished.

With what money???

The money that came from the FTA. Or if they want to be cheap about it use the tbms from the 7 extension project and just change the cutter head on them.

Nothing much. Just I might not live to see a (T) run up to the fourth phase. I might live for the third phase but the fourth phase might still be under construction when I die. Which would be somewhere in the late 2070's. One thing though I assure you in the future most of the grandchildren or children of us rail fans would finally post a blog that says. Second Avenue is Complete After 70 years!!!.

They are actually not spurs they are ways for the Second Avenue Subway to access Brooklyn. The tunnels or bridges are going to be used to connect to Brooklyn via cheaper ways so the (MTA) won't spend too much. I still favor the (T) to run to Brooklyn via the Manhattan Bridge. Though I was thinking about the Avenue C spur and I am wondering why would you extend the Second Avenue Subway to the Eighth Avenue Line when you could extend the Eighth Avenue Line east and the Second Avenue Subway east so they could construct the never built IND Worth Street Line to the never built IND Utica Line.

Archived