Equipment failure delays 2nd Ave. subway AGAIN!

LRG

That could be done without cutting another line. It would be like when the other side was closed, and the (Q6) ran there. They probably reduced te (D) a bit. If they did this, then perhaps the (T) could be the Bay Pkwy service, filling it in. (Returning to the West End where it started!)

This might have been a temporary alternative for when the line is constructed as far down as Chrystie St. and the Water st. section is not built yet. Problem is, it likely requires shallow Chrystie construction, which has been ruled out for being too disruptive to the community.

And as others point out; who knows when or if it will ever get that far.

I don't know, I would really prefer they not overload the bridge or sacrifice (:P(D) service just to make room for the (T). If anything (T) riders can just transfer to those 2 to get to Brooklyn.

The best case is for the (T) to eventually get to the Montague tunnel [since there's enough capacity with the (Mx) gone]. I think the (T) should replace the (R) as the full time line going to 95th St and then they can make the (R) go to 9th av or Bay Pkwy on the West End line.

Maybe they should just tear down the 2nd AV line

Send the (T) to Staten Island!!! Lol I just had to write that :P

They should....I wonder how long that project going to take.

Yeah sure, imagine the (T) heading to Middle Village, then residents along the Myrtle Avenue Line will complain about the (T) being too new and doesn't have historical value and would then want the (Mx)/(M) to turn turquoise!!!!!

F the blue (T)!!

I honestly don't see what the big deal over this is. These are only teething problems which won't affect the project's overall schedule. Also, just to provide an update, these "teething problems" are now gone. The problems were mainly due to unstable soil in the low 90's (90-92nd St.); the soil there is now frozen and bored past. The first 700 feet of the tunnel is the test tunnel, so that the (MTA) can see how the tunneling procedure will look like the rest of the way. After that, the tunneling will go faster (50+ feet a day). As of July 29th the TBM bored through 657 feet, so the test tunnel phase is almost done (if not done already).

The TBM is currently just north of 89th St. It has 6,503 feet left in its 7,200 feet run down to 65th St. where it will then come back up to 91st St.

Source: http://thelaunchbox.blogspot.com/2010/08/tbm-on-move-august-2-2010.html

6,503 ft. You know how long that distance is. 5,280 ft is 1 mile. So do the math. It's about 1 and 1/4th of a mile of drilling left. Then they will have to drill another mile to 125th St. So do you know how long this is going to take. Yes I agree why are they only using one TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine). They should have mutiple machines. One should be drilling down 125th St right now. One should be at the location it is now. One should be drilling south. There get my message now. One machine wouldn't do the job. You need mutiple machines to drilll the tunnel. The completed length of Second Avenue would have to be 13.5 miles. So that is a very short distance. Judging by them. I would be dead when they finish Second Avenue.

You do not need more than one TBM for just Phase I of this project. Let's see. 6,503 feet of tunnel left to drill. The TBM drills 50 feet a day, 5 days a week.

That's 250 feet per week, which is 1,000 feet per month. By this time next year, both of the tunnels should be finished. Tunneling is not what is taking the majority of the time on this project. They could start the tunneling two years from now and it wouldn't have an effect on the overall schedule. What takes up most of the time is constructing the stations, and then setting up communications (track, signals, etc.). So if you can get the job done in the same amount of time just using one TBM, rather than using two TBMs, which one would you use?

In an ideal world that would be happening ((MTA) would be working on various phases at a time) but there's not enough money for the (MTA) to work on more than one phase at a time. They have many other projects on the table that also need to be finished, so any available money has to be used for other purposes.

I don't know, I would really prefer they not overload the bridge or sacrifice (:((D) service just to make room for the (T). If anything (T) riders can just transfer to those 2 to get to Brooklyn.

The best case is for the (T) to eventually get to the Montague tunnel [since there's enough capacity with the (Mx) gone]. I think the (T) should replace the (R) as the full time line going to 95th St and then they can make the (R) go to 9th av or Bay Pkwy on the West End line.

Good point. Send it over the Montague tunnel and the (T) should operate local while the (D) runs express on West End.

In an ideal world that would be happening ((MTA) would be working on various phases at a time) but there's not enough money for the (MTA) to work on more than one phase at a time. They have many other projects on the table that also need to be finished, so any available money has to be used for other purposes.

The two other huge capital projects being Fulton Street Transit Center including reopening of the southbound (R) Cortlandt St and connections between the Center and World Trade Center (E) to develop Lower Manhattan , (7) extension to develop West Side.

Fulton St. is fully funded; they received stimulus funds. The (7) extension is also fully funded, except for the funds necesary for the 10th Ave. station. East Side Access isn't fully funded though, IIRC. Either way, after these capital megaprojects get finished, I don't see the (MTA) starting any new ones (other than the other SAS phases).

Fulton St. is fully funded; they received stimulus funds. The (7) extension is also fully funded, except for the funds necesary for the 10th Ave. station. East Side Access isn't fully funded though, IIRC. Either way, after these capital megaprojects get finished, I don't see the (MTA) starting any new ones (other than the other SAS phases).

I agree...they need to keep with the maintaince of everything else..they more they build the more they have to maintain also

As much as I like the ideas, let's be realistic: one we'll be lucky anything gets built south of 72nd St and two, we'll be lucky if they get as far a Houston to be able to pick from ONLY ONE of those lines to LM.

Wow you are an optimist. We will be lucky if we even get to 96 street!

Send the (T) to Staten Island!!! Lol I just had to write that :P

From what I've heard, the reason they won't build a tube from manhattan to SI is because somewhere along the way the floor at the bottom of New York Harbor drops dramatically, so supposedly it isn't possible. I always thought they should extend the R train into Staten Island and have a transfer to the SIRT and then that way NYC can finally be whole without SI being treated like a stepchild.

The Willy B should have been built wider, but you have to keep in mind that when it was built, cars were not nearly as wide as they are now.

It's over 100 years old now. It was probably mostly Horse and buggy than car back then. They had no clue what would happen the next 100 years. Would it be possible to widen any of the bridges, or would the towers not hold?

Archived