Equipment failure delays 2nd Ave. subway AGAIN!

LRG

From what I've heard, the reason they won't build a tube from manhattan to SI is because somewhere along the way the floor at the bottom of New York Harbor drops dramatically, so supposedly it isn't possible. I always thought they should extend the R train into Staten Island and have a transfer to the SIRT and then that way NYC can finally be whole without SI being treated like a stepchild.

I'm glad someone's on the same page with me about this. Staten Island is a very nice place but without some sort of real connection to the rest of the city other than a shitty boat then it will forever be looked down upon. Unfortunately, I don't think the (R) to S.I. would be feasible as the route is long enough as it is already.

I'm glad someone's on the same page with me about this. Staten Island is a very nice place but without some sort of real connection to the rest of the city other than a shitty boat then it will forever be looked down upon. Unfortunately, I don't think the (R) to S.I. would be feasible as the route is long enough as it is already.

You can have an express line. Ever notice those extra wide platforms after the R breaks away from the N? There was supposed to be express service that was never built. In one spot where there is a little glimmer of light you can see 4 track beds. SI is far to drive to as well. A few years ago I went to the west side of Staten Island from Queens to go out with a girl. It took me over an hour to get there. It was during rush hour, but I could have made it to NJ faster. I didn't go out with her again. I've lived in NYC since birth and I think I've only been to SI about 20 to 30 times, and 5 of those times was driving through from NJ, and 1 was taking the bridge there by accident. It's not that easy to get to.

I don't know if there would be an inter state problem, but they might have also been able to do a SI train go into NJ then into lower manhattan if the floor in NY Harbor was bad, or maybe to a PATH connection.

Archived