The Light Rail Thread

I went to San Francisco and they have a fantastic light rail system, but it seemed to be mainly in residential neighborhoods. The only place in Manhattan I could see it working is in off the beat parts of Manhattan like ts like Greenwich St or West Broadway.

Thats true. However I hope that they would raise the Bayonne Bridge and built a new deck with light rail tracks for it. Also I figured out that since they are replacing the Geothals Bridge they could build light rail tracks so the Newark Light Rail could also run to Staten Island

No need for LRT. That will cost the T/a, keep it plain BRT that would be nice. Plus with traffic in the city it wont help at all

I guess I don't see where with heavy traffic BRT is any better than LRT they will both get stuck in the congestion unless you have a private ROW such as a center reservation in the street, in that case LRT although more expensive to build, would be capable of carrying more passengers per hr.

Light rail would probaly be good for a Bronx-Queens crosstown service connecting to LGA. The Queens Blvd line is just about serves a good portion of Queens, I hope a Queens Blvd super express is a priority the near future w/ the (F) and a future 2nd Av train serviing it.

Eastern Queens and Staten Island are good places for light rail, although I'd prefer to see subway extensions of the (E) and (7) into Eastern Queens as well as the Queens Boulevard Super Express.

I agree. I don't think you will ever see an (7) extension because of the NIMBYs'. However I can see an (E) extension as far as Queens Village/Springfield Blvd but decades from now maybe Mid-21st Century.

I always supported Light Rail and would be great for places like Merrick Blvd, Northern Blvd among others.

It a cheaper alternative than buliding subway lines. Also I always thought the (MTA) should use LIRR/MNRR trains that stop at Bronx/Queens stations by charging no more than the express bus fare rush hours(peak)to/from Manhattan as well. Off peak the same price as a subway/local bus.

Not to get too off topic but a great idea other than extending the (N) (Q)to LGA Airport in which Astoria/Elmhurst NIMBYS have blocked now & recent past is to bulid a Airtrain shuttle train between (7)Mets-Williets Point(aka Citifield)stop and LGA Airport.

Just my takes.

I agree. I don't think you will ever see an (7) extension because of the NIMBYs'. However I can see an (E) extension as far as Queens Village/Springfield Blvd but decades from now maybe Mid-21st Century.

Unfortunately, that much is true. I would happily welcome a (7) extension to where I live in Bayside, but I guess there are still people living here who will bitch about the line being extended for stupid reasons. The (E) extension should theoretically be much easier to do - and should be done - because there are two parallel double-track LIRR lines in southeast Queens. If the (E) is extended to Laurelton via St. Albans, the existing West Hempstead LIRR service can be shifted onto the LIRR line through Locust Manor. Since the LIRR is already planning to cut weekend West Hempstead service, perhaps now is a good time to take a fresh look at extending the (E) to southeast Queens.

I always supported Light Rail and would be great for places like Merrick Blvd, Northern Blvd among others.

For me, this would be the next-best solution. Perhaps a Northern Blvd light rail line could be built and connect directly to the (7) at an expanded Main Street terminal. Another light rail service could run along Hillside Avenue and connect to the (F) at 179th Street in a similar manner.

It a cheaper alternative than buliding subway lines.

It sure is. Plus, LRVs are larger than buses and have more capacity than even 60-foot buses. They can be run in short trains, with one operator in the first car, allowing for even more capacity per LR train.

Also I always thought the (MTA) should use LIRR/MNRR trains that stop at Bronx/Queens stations by charging no more than the express bus fare rush hours(peak)to/from Manhattan as well. Off peak the same price as a subway/local bus.

At the very least, this is what the (MTA) should be doing to combat overcrowding on Queens subway lines. It's ridiculous that they're not. As I've posted before, I'd take the LIRR into Manhattan on weekdays and avoid the madness that is the Main Street-Flushing (7) station. But at $8 each (and rising), it's very expensive, so I take the Q12 or Q13 to Flushing and transfer to the (7). Even if I got a monthly, with a monthly MetroCard, it's still a lot of money per month.

Archived