The Orange M... One month later

error46146

THANK YOU. The fact there was so much upheaval over the letter is absurd. (V) was already programmed in the 160s to Metropolitan Avenue. (V) was recognized as a Sixth Avenue Line, so what was the deal if it went along Broadway Brooklyn and Myrtle? (Mx)/(V) people have been around for years, and all this time, I NEVER heard of creating a new designation to appease to riders of the minority.

JFTR, the 'M' was around since 1960, so what? Big effing deal that it the 'M' would have been killed off. And one more tidbit, the 'V' has been around LONGER than the M; the former has been around longer than the latter, since the R12s came around? Roman numerals anyone? (:)) There was never a 1000 train, yet there was ALWAYS a (5) train.

So much for history....

A roman numeral doesnt actually count :) And they would still have to reprogram the (V) line announcements as stated before.

The (M) is serving its purpose alright, instead of transfering between the (J)(Mx)(Z) and the (F) at Delancey-Essex Streets, the (M) goes through 6 Avenue. I've seen the ridership of the (M) and I think that was a good move to combine the (Mx)(V) services into the (M). At first I thought it wouldn't work, but now it's looking good. The headways could be better, but when I checked the (V) it was the same way too...

Sure the (M) trains are shorter than the (V) trains so they'll reposition themselves a bit, but not by a lot. Heck the riders catching the (C) until recently sometimes deal with making the dash to take the (C) also. I don't see this as a major problem at all.

Good thing people are adapting to this (M).

The (M) is serving its purpose alright, instead of transfering between the (J)(Mx)(Z) and the (F) at Delancey-Essex Streets, the (M) goes through 6 Avenue. I've seen the ridership of the (M) and I think that was a good move to combine the (Mx)(V) services into the (M). At first I thought it wouldn't work, but now it's looking good. The headways could be better, but when I checked the (V) it was the same way too...

Sure the (M) trains are shorter than the (V) trains so they'll reposition themselves a bit, but not by a lot. Heck the riders catching the (C) until recently sometimes deal with making the dash to take the (C) also. I don't see this as a major problem at all.

Good thing people are adapting to this (M).

Yeah when you ride it, the (M) headways aren't really exactly the name as the (V) even though it is the same on the schedule, it is probably because the route is longer than the (V).

Yeah when you ride it, the (M) headways aren't really exactly the name as the (V) even though it is the same on the schedule, it is probably because the route is longer than the (V).

That's something a lot of people don't understand. The longer the route is, the more prone to delays it will be, especially along busy corridors like Queens Boulevard. The old (Mx), as a matter of fact, was rated most frequent over all the other lines due to less strain the lines it ran or provided. You rarely see any tie-ups along Fourth Avenue and Nassau Street, but Queens Boulevard, you can forget about it.

The current M headways are roughly the same as the old V ones. I put the two schedules side by side before the switch, and they were very similar.

The (V) ran on an average of six minutes; the (M) is a slight increase from 10 mins. to 8.

yeah the (M) does take longer than the (V) but who cares, right now until September its better to take the Locals Manhattan Bound, They are currently doing Trackwork and you might have to rely on the (M) and (R), I don't know why people are still complaining about it, Its here Get the f**k over it, I took the (M) via Queens Blvd Express, I ran better than the (E)/(F), Plus They should make the (M) Express along with the (Z), have the (J) make all stops until b'way Junction then start the skip-stop after B'way junction Have the (Z) go Exprees between Marcy and B'way Junction.

They should make the (M) Express along with the (Z), have the (J) make all stops until b'way Junction then start the skip-stop after B'way junction Have the (Z) go Exprees between Marcy and B'way Junction.

Your plan of having the (Z) run express to Broadway Junction and the (J) all stops and then the (J)(Z) skip stop won't work. It defeats the skip-stop purpose. The (J) will carry quite a load between Marcy Avenue-Broadway Junction. The (J)(Z) passenger loads would be uneven. I say keep the (J)(M)(Z) current pattern as is.

Your plan of having the (Z) run express to Broadway Junction and the (J) all stops and then the (J)(Z) skip stop won't work. It defeats the skip-stop purpose. The (J) will carry quite a load between Marcy Avenue-Broadway Junction. The (J)(Z) passenger loads would be uneven. I say keep the (J)(M)(Z) current pattern as is.

I've wondered about that. Many years ago, the QJ and the KK ran skip-stop via Jamaica and the latter ran local from East NY through Essex and the "new" 70(J) ran express. When the 70(K) was truncated to East NY, the 70(J) ran skip-stop with itself (as "A" and "B").

I'm not really sure why the (J) and (Z) can't run the same way or truncate the (Z) and run the (J) skip-stop with itself.

I've wondered about that. Many years ago, the QJ and the KK ran skip-stop via Jamaica and the latter ran local from East NY through Essex and the "new" 70(J) ran express. When the 70(K) was truncated to East NY, the 70(J) ran skip-stop with itself (as "A" and "B").

I'm not really sure why the (J) and (Z) can't run the same way or truncate the (Z) and run the (J) skip-stop with itself.

I think it is because they feel that the portion of the route between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue would receive too much service. That, and there is the problem of the merge at Marcy Avenue.

The frequency of the (J) on the Jamaica Avenue portion of the route would have to be less than it is now, both for financial purposes and capacity purposes (don't forget that you would now have an additional train merging at Myrtle Avenue).

couldnt (J) run express and (Z) local?

If that happened, that would defeat the purpose of Skip-stop. And pah to the ignorance of those who can't comprehend what stops the (J) serves and what stops the (Z) serves...pick up a schedule!

Sorry if this devrails the topic or it was asked in an earlier thread, but couldnt (J) run express and (Z) local? Skip stop confuses people, its the only combo that does this. I take (J) almost every day but I believe the express tracks are available until Crescent, so why not operate that way?

They are only available from Marcy Avenue-Broadway Junction.

The problem is that there could be bunching with (J) and (Z) trains.

Think of it this way: At the stops served by both the (J) and (Z), there is an even 5 minute headway between trains. If you had the express service between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue, let's say it takes a train an average of 40 additional seconds per stop. 40*4=160, or slightly less than 3 minutes added onto the travel time. That would mean that, if the headway between trains is every 5 minutes at Broadway Junction, the headway between trains would be 7 minutes, then 3 minutes at Myrtle Avenue.

That would, of course, be the net effect (the (J) would have 2 stops added and the (Z) would have 2 stops taken away)

Archived