MTA's 4-year plan: Fare and toll hikes in January, pay freezes for workers

Harry

The MTA says it can avoid further service cuts for four years - but riders and transit workers will still be in for a bumpy ride.

Transit officials Wednesday will officially unveil a four-year financial plan that includes fare and toll hikes in January and again in 2013.

Transit workers would see their pay frozen for two years unless they agree to work rule changes or other concessions covering the cost of raises.

Officials concede the plan has its share of risks and uncertainties, like the performance of the economy, levels of state funding and the ability of labor and management to find middle ground in contract negotiations.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/28/2010-07-28_mta_roller_coaster_foresees_no_cuts_in_service_but_will_hike_fares_tolls__freeze.html#ixzz0uyu4Ey4z

post-1-133288582126_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582126_thumb.jpg

Transit workers would see their pay frozen for two years unless they agree to work rule changes or other concessions covering the cost of raises.

The union will not agree to a two-year wage freeze. This'll be one of the most contentious contract negotiations to date.

The union will not agree to a two-year wage freeze. This'll be one of the most contentious contract negotiations to date.

This isn't meant to be anti-union, but if the agency is running at a deficit how can raises to employees possibly be justified?

This isn't meant to be anti-union, but if the agency is running at a deficit how can raises to employees possibly be justified?

If its in the Contract thats another matter..

Now if it has to be negotiated thats something different..

Go to Arbitration take it from there.

I'm really, really starting to hate Jay Walder. His solution to everything: Pay more for shittier service. I bet he would even increase the fare to $10. When the fare reaches $5/ride, I'm done with the subway.

I'm really, really starting to hate Jay Walder. His solution to everything: Pay more for shittier service. I bet he would even increase the fare to $10. When the fare reaches $5/ride, I'm done with the subway.

What would you do if you were him?

What would you do if you were him?

There are many other things that can be done instead of raising the fare every 20 minutes. Let's see...

1) Reduce weekday train frequencies on the 1, 6, and 7.

2) Restore the (6)'s 125th Street Shuttle late nights, considering the (4) is local

3) Halt 2nd Av. Subway construction (it's bound to stop anyway)

and those are just some of the things that could be done

*note: feasibility of these procedures is questionable at best

**note: these plans may not be realistic at all

Whats not mentioned much is the overbudget of much of these capital programs he "wont shave a dime of funding from". And I'll actually take a pay freeze (for a year) but there better be some juicy add-ons in other areas in exchange for that.

There are many other things that can be done instead of raising the fare every 20 minutes. Let's see...

1) Reduce weekday train frequencies on the 1, 6, and 7.

2) Restore the (6)'s 125th Street Shuttle late nights, considering the (4) is local

3) Halt 2nd Av. Subway construction (it's bound to stop anyway)

and those are just some of the things that could be done

*note: feasibility of these procedures is questionable at best

**note: these plans may not be realistic at all

None of those would work. 1 is not possible, that level of service is needed. Service cuts reduce ridership and income. 2 is the only one that makes any possible sense. 3 does nothing because SAS has been needed for 80 years and that only helps the capital budget anyway.

What needs to be done is get rid of paper pushers, plans to implement un needed new technology and/or gadgets, and other un needed jobs and redundant management and focus on SERVICE. Then SOMEONE needs to find a way to go and get more money from BOTH the city and the state because Cheapberg and Walking Stick Patterson would rather fund their cronies than anything that benefits their constituencies.

Whats not mentioned much is the overbudget of much of these capital programs he "wont shave a dime of funding from".

That's where the money is going. Every project is late on arrival and overbudget. The MTA needs to spend alot of time on how to cut back on that.

maybe the system should shut down over nite then......no service betw the hrs of like 1-4 am.........All these crappy countdown clocks and now cell phone service BS needs to stop and put that money else where......put off some station rehabs.....they've been Rehabing 59st forever !!!

Archived