A question for bus operators

YankeesPwnMets

Lets say the bus is absolutely packed, and there is absolutely no space left. You see a person on a wheelchair get wanting to get on, but you know its completely packed. Do operators have the right to say "next bus please," because on the M22 today, the entire bus was filled but the operator still let the wheelchair guy get on, and it forced everybody on each other, which i thought was a very bad decision to let the wheelchair person on

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, I am obligated to accomodate a passenger who is mobility challenged. I have had passengers leave the bus, (gave them transfers) to make room for a wheelchair passenger. I have one one occassion, had to call for Police assistance because some passengers in the back of the bus refused to step off the bus so I could board a wheelchair. Any operator who has a good head on his/her shoulders, uses his/her common sense in the situation & explains tactfully to the passengers what is happening. Most passengers will cooperate. Some don't but, I tell them that the wheelchair passenger could be them or a family member. (they comply after that.)

The RTS bus can board two wheelchairs while the Low Floor Orion Hybrids can take on three chairs.(MTA)

He made the right choice 150 percent.the didabled go first.they r more important than the regular rider.if he had left that person behind he can be subject to disciplinary action or loose his job.the disabled have more rights than your average customer.he did the right thing n if the people on the bus didn't want to move he is not to move that bus until the disabled passanger borded the bus. That b/o did the right thing in transit and the ada's eyes.I would have done the same.

Lets say the bus is absolutely packed, and there is absolutely no space left. You see a person on a wheelchair get wanting to get on, but you know its completely packed. Do operators have the right to say "next bus please," because on the M22 today, the entire bus was filled but the operator still let the wheelchair guy get on, and it forced everybody on each other, which i thought was a very bad decision to let the wheelchair person on

I am not a bus operator but one time on my way home from Saturday school I was on the Q104 and the bus was full and a person with a weelchair wanted to get on so the bus operator told the person in the weelchair to wait 30 minutes for the next bus.

I am not a bus operator but one time on my way home from Saturday school I was on the Q104 and the bus was full and a person with a weelchair wanted to get on so the bus operator told the person in the weelchair to wait 30 minutes for the next bus.

Isn't Q104 usually empty.

Bottom line any ADA passenger comes first...if the reg passengers wont move CORRECT PROCEDURE is to call Console and you will be instructed to take bus out of service EXCEPT for the ADA passenger and take them to the stop they want to get off along your route.

I hope one day the A$$H0LE on the Q104 gets caught!

ADA people always have priority over reg passengers. If people don't want to get off, call console and take the bus outta service and let the wheelchair person have the whole bus to themselves. Refusing service to ADA people=big lawsuits. Kicking reg people of the bus for wheelchair=no lawsuits.

I remember seeing signs when I was younger that instructed wheelchair-bound people to call the MTA before planning a trip so that they would be guaranteed a bus with a working chair lift. Is this still the protocol, since I believe every bus has a wheelchair lift (that supposedly works, anyway)?

I've also noticed that around me, unfortunately, whenever an ADA passenger is waiting for a bus, an RTS shows up instead of an Orion NG with a ramp, which makes loading and unloading so much more unnecessarily difficult. Bad luck, I guess.

I remember seeing signs when I was younger that instructed wheelchair-bound people to call the MTA before planning a trip so that they would be guaranteed a bus with a working chair lift. Is this still the protocol, since I believe every bus has a wheelchair lift (that supposedly works, anyway)?

Its not suppose to be like that at Transit anymore. All buses are suppose to have working lifts,but we ALL know how that rolls!:P

Motorcoach is different, passengers have to call 48hrs in advance so the companies can schedule a W/C bus,however in 2012(I think)all line run motorcoaches are suppose to be W/C Lift equipped and an ADA passenger can show up at any time.

That something that I can agree with in theory, but using the MCI D model as an example, you lose 4 seats plus use of the center baggage bin because of the W/C lift being there. Total PITA,but its the law so we gotta deal with it.

I've also noticed that around me, unfortunately, whenever an ADA passenger is waiting for a bus, an RTS shows up instead of an Orion NG with a ramp, which makes loading and unloading so much more unnecessarily difficult. Bad luck, I guess.

In the New Look days, it was if you get a lift you do. If you don't, sorry about your luck. Now it is a different story. Yeah the RTS might have longer dwell times for wheelchair passengers.... But it is an RTS! So we really can't compare it with an NG. That's the Queen of them all. She can do what she want's.

Archived