Subway Crime Falling Citywide

Trainspotter

NY1 News

Subway crime statistics show that city subways are safer than ever, and serious subway crime is at an historic low.

[imga=right]http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/images/uploads/241325[/imga]Statistics released Wednesday show the odds of becoming a victim of a crime on the subway on any given day is approximately 1 in 714,000.

That was not the case back in 1990, the first year the NYPD starting keeping reliable subway crime statistics. There were more than 17,000 major felonies recorded that year, compared to 2,700 last year.

Law enforcement officials give part of the credit to a new policy banning passengers from walking between cars.

They say summonses issued to those riders have led to hundreds of arrests of criminals wanted for other offenses.

Law enforcement officials give part of the credit to a new policy banning passengers from walking between cars.

They say summonses issued to those riders have led to hundreds of arrests of criminals wanted for other offenses.

I've never seen that law enforced - not once. I've seen passengers move from one car to the next all the time.

I've never seen that law enforced - not once. I've seen passengers move from one car to the next all the time.

Maybe they mean riding between cars. I've seen people get caught riding between cars. Heck I used to do it back in the days but I never got caught.

Maybe they mean riding between cars. I've seen people get caught riding between cars. Heck I used to do it back in the days but I never got caught.

What, exactly, then, does the law forbid? I thought it was a violation of the law to move from one car to another, via the inside doors, while the train was in motion.

I'm confused as to what the law prescribes, then.

NY1 News

Subway crime statistics show that city subways are safer than ever, and serious subway crime is at an historic low.

[imga=right]http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/images/uploads/241325[/imga]Statistics released Wednesday show the odds of becoming a victim of a crime on the subway on any given day is approximately 1 in 714,000.

That was not the case back in 1990, the first year the NYPD starting keeping reliable subway crime statistics. There were more than 17,000 major felonies recorded that year, compared to 2,700 last year.

That's good news for New Yorkers.

Archived