City seeks ‘dollar vans’ to operate on dead MTA routes

w8Hou

The city wants dollar vans to fill a huge gap in Brownstone Brooklyn bus service that was created by MTA service cuts last month.

The Taxi and Limousine Commission quietly approved the privatization initiative that will allow livery vans to operate along bus routes eliminated by the cash-strapped state agency — including the B71 route that once journeyed from Columbia Street through tony Carroll Gardens and Park Slope on its way to Crown Heights.

Williamsburg’s former B39 line, which was popular with seniors and the handicapped because it went over the Williamsburg Bridge, is also included in the initiative.

Under the plan, the vans will only be allowed to pick up passengers at specified locations — but drop-offs can be at locations negotiated by the driver and commuter.

Read more: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/31/dtg_dollarvans_2010_07_30_bk.html?comm=1

post-1257-133288582129_thumb.jpg

post-1257-133288582129_thumb.jpg

Now if Joel had been patient and waited...

lol wut

I've seen too many dollar vans pick up stragglers left behind by a bus that JUST left the stop, but I've seen the drivers stop just so the people in the right lane of the cross street can't get through. It pisses everyone off - bus operators and normal drivers included.

You think that's bad, you got "hey, you need a ride?" in terminal C at newark airport. There's a perfectly organized taxi stand right next to the bus lane on the terminal side of the sidewalk/waiting area. Some of these people would benefit hopping on the go 28 and taking a midtown direct train from newark broad street, for..... 10 bucks or so, or they could pay 45 dollars for a nightmare ride in a taxi down the interstate through the tunnel into craptastic manhattan traffic.

More savvy riders hop the airtrain, the less savvy ones head for the taxi stand, as 2 GO28 busses and a route 62 bus stops, they wait in line, often the line is longer than the bus. There are so many more less expensive, and faster options than taking a taxi.

Back on topic, many people would benefit if these commuter ride share vehicles were made legitimate in the minds of potential riders by advertisements and endorsements.

- A

they should promote these guys, showing a true spirit of entrepreneurship. Where the MTA cant afford to go, let a private service take over and actually run a profitable business. Get rid of unnecessary regulation! Allow Business to grow and thrive! The MTA and the Taxi comission should not have a monopolistic stranglehold on getting around the city

Yes, but again, some of these drivers are maniacs and can cause more damage and harm than they solve by taking the riders off the MTA's hands. I like the MTA to be more efficient by cutting low use routes, but not if it means more unsafe dollar vans around. I don't trust them at all.

Theyre no different than teh crazy cabbies or the airport shuttle people. You just have to buckle up and not let it get to ya B)

It's about time.

Yes, but again, some of these drivers are maniacs and can cause more damage and harm than they solve by taking the riders off the MTA's hands. I like the MTA to be more efficient by cutting low use routes, but not if it means more unsafe dollar vans around. I don't trust them at all.

What, you don't like playing the normal person's Formula 1? B)

I've used the vans on occasion. Almost half of them drive like it's the Daytona 500. There are about 2 or 3 drivers here in rockaway that are ok and ride with IF i am in a rush and i only sit in the VERY front seat or i do not get on. I hate climbing over people and people climbing over me...well the attractive females with nice backsides i don't mind too much.

The city oughta know that if they did'nt come to them and "give them permission"...they would've started doing it anyway. They probably did know so why not get the (:)(S) out of the way.

Archived