2010 NFL Predictions, Preseason, Regular Season and Annoucer Assingments Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Since we talked about the 'business' of MLB, recently even the NFL has been a victim of the mega recession.

Teams Last season like the Lions, Jaguars, Browns and Chargers did not sell out all of their games. Plus there been quiet whispers that the Jaguars might leave Northern. Fla. for the LA area as well.

Also more cities are starting to join this list as well.

Plus in a surprise even popular teams such as the Dolphins, Redskins and the Jets are having problems selling out their luxury tickets similar to the MLB Yankees.

Should the NFL change the blackout policy for team home games? I think the first game and the home games played on week of the Christmas/New Years should be automatically shown.

What you guys think?

This SportsCenter update is brought to you by Joe's Best Burger:

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis agreed to a 4 year deal. 32 million dollars is guaranteed.

The All-Pro defensive back and the Jets agreed late Sunday night on a new multi-year contract that is expected to make Revis one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL. Terms were not immediately released, but online reports indicated the deal would run for four years with as much as $32 million guaranteed up front.

Revis was expected to fly up to New York from Florida on Sunday night and sign the contract on Monday at the Jets’ practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/06/breaking-revis-jets-agree-to-new-deal/

The moral of the story is that if you pout like a baby, you'll eventually get what you want.

This SportsCenter update is brought to you by Joe's Best Burger:

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis agreed to a 4 year deal. 32 million dollars is guaranteed.

The All-Pro defensive back and the Jets agreed late Sunday night on a new multi-year contract that is expected to make Revis one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL. Terms were not immediately released, but online reports indicated the deal would run for four years with as much as $32 million guaranteed up front.

Revis was expected to fly up to New York from Florida on Sunday night and sign the contract on Monday at the Jets’ practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/06/breaking-revis-jets-agree-to-new-deal/

The moral of the story is that if you pout like a baby, you'll eventually get what you want.

I wonder who is the next sponor of the breaking sportscenter update lol presented by Mr. Wilson?

Just saw this on sportscenter. The guranteed money is the most important since almost all contracts in NFL other than QB's are not a sure thing.

Mr. Wilson you wrong on Ravis. The Jets re-opened the contract not Ravis.

Week 1 maps are now up on http://www.the506.com

I saw the maps. I like the widespread coverage the CAR-NYG game is getting in the FOX 1pm slot. None of the announcer assingments surprise me. I look forward to seeing how our hometown guy Ian Eagle does on the #3 team with Dan Fouts calling some legit football games. Of course Joe Buck and Troy Aikman get the GB-PHI game because there is a NFC East team playing at home, a potential SB team opposing them and it's the late game on doubleheader day. CBS and FOX ALWAYS puts the A-team on a late when it's doubleheader week. Nantz and Sims will be doing the Patriots as they do nearly every week on CBS and the NY market will have the game, I say GO CINCINATTI! The Jets are in primetime on MNF so it saves the stress of finding their network announcers.

I saw the maps. I like the widespread coverage the CAR-NYG game is getting in the FOX 1pm slot. None of the announcer assingments surprise me. I look forward to seeing how our hometown guy Ian Eagle does on the #3 team with Dan Fouts calling some legit football games. Of course Joe Buck and Troy Aikman get the GB-PHI game because there is a NFC East team playing at home, a potential SB team opposing them and it's the late game on doubleheader day. CBS and FOX ALWAYS puts the A-team on a late when it's doubleheader week. Nantz and Sims will be doing the Patriots as they do nearly every week on CBS and the NY market will have the game, I say GO CINCINATTI! The Jets are in primetime on MNF so it saves the stress of finding their network announcers.

JW did you ever get my PM about how hard it is to make it as a sportcaster? Ex sports stars and politics (ie sons of famous sportscasters like Buck, Albert, etc)makes it hard for outsiders.

Well not just a few bad teams i.e Lions, Jaguars, Chiefs and Rams with home TV Blackouts. Here article that even more teams might be blackout this season.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-09-06-nfl-tv-blackouts-forecast_N.htm#teams

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY 9/7/10

The blackout blues will be back this season for some NFL fans.

At least 11 NFL teams could be facing TV blackouts in their home markets as the NFL fights through a downward trend in stadium attendance.

A confluence of issues — including a still-struggling economy, the quality of the viewing experience in fans' homes and sustained poor performance among some teams — have come together to keep some teams off local TV.

NFL rules require that games be blacked out in the home market if it is not sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff. The league had 22 games (8.6% of the regular season) blacked out last year, a five-year high. And the forecast for the new season is already gloomy in many markets.

"We're grappling with the attendance issue," said Tampa Bay Buccaneers spokesman Jonathan Grella, whose team may face its first blackout on Sunday in the opener against the Cleveland Browns. Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said as far back as March that blackouts were a strong possibility as the team rebuilds following a 3-13 season.

TV blackouts are part of a long-standing NFL policy that commissioner Roger Goodell has consistently said is not up for reconsideration.

This season, Goodell said he's encouraged teams to get creative, even in a down economy, and offer value to fans.

"We worked hard last year knowing what our customers are going through," Goodell said. "I think the teams have done a terrific job on that.

"I'm optimistic that we're going to be able to hopefully improve that number (of 22 blackouts in 2009)."

Last year's blackouts were confined to five teams, all of which had losing records: the Jacksonville Jaguars (seven blackouts, seven wins); Detroit Lions (four blackouts, two wins); Kansas City Chiefs (one blackout, four wins); Oakland Raiders (seven blackouts, five wins); and St. Louis Rams (three blackouts, one win).

This season, the window for blackouts could include three 2009 playoff teams, the Arizona Cardinals, the Cincinnati Bengals and the San Diego Chargers.

Last year the Buccaneers took advantage of blackout loophole by which teams can buy back unsold tickets at a reduced rate in order for the game to air locally. This season, Grella said the team won't do that.

For games to be on TV, Grella said, "people need to understand that it's not a given."

In New York, both the Giants and Jets have encountered issues selling all of the season tickets they made available via personal seat licenses at the new Meadowlands stadium. But both teams have ruled out blackouts, and could take advantage of the buyback option if the need arose.

While the economy looms as a factor in all markets, the causes of TV blackout concerns vary from city to city. Cincinnati is a relatively small market. Arizona lost its star quarterback, Kurt Warner, to retirement and isn't projected to perform as well on the field. San Diego, while fielding a competitive team, also offers fans a myriad of other activities along the southern California coast.

"Some to the more challenging markets have been these good-weather markets," sports business analyst Marc Ganis said. "There are so many alternate things to do on weekends."

Poor performance is also a factor. The Detroit Lions have had nine blackouts over the past two seasons while winning a total of two games. The Kansas City Chiefs, in the midst of a 10-38 three-year stretch, had their first blackout since 1990 last year.

Some of the blackout-susceptible teams lack the established base built over decades in cities such as Pittsburgh and Chicago. In places such as Jacksonville and Arizona, where the population has swelled in recent decades, fans can be fickle with their support.

"That does not allow the roots of the teams to have taken hold as they have in other markets where teams have been for multiple generations," Ganis said.

But all teams are taking note of the potential problems concerning attendance, even as the league projects a drop off in ticket sales for the third consecutive year. As the technology for watching games at home has exploded with the advent of HD television and mobile content, Goodell has prioritized teams finding new innovations to lure fans out to the stadiums.

The Baltimore Ravens have sold out every game since moving from Cleveland in 1996, but team president Dick Cass said he doesn't expect fans will continue that streak merely out of loyalty to the team.

"It doesn't mean we'll be sold out two or three years from now," Cass said. "You have to work at that. It doesn't happen by happenstance."

Many fans complain that the blackout policy is unfair, especially in cities hard-hit by the recession. But Ganis said the policy "makes great sense" for the NFL as it seeks to drive fans into its stadiums.

"It creates home field advantage, creates great theater," Ganis said. "To offer an incentive not to buy tickets to the games would be counterproductive to the league's overall goals."

2010 NFL TV blackouts forecast: Survey of all 32 teams:

Arizona Cardinals: Can't rule out blackouts.

Atlanta Falcons: No blackouts expected.

Baltimore Ravens: Sold out all eight games.

Buffalo Bills: Have sold out three games. Can't rule out blackouts.

Carolina Panthers: Have sold out two games. Can't rule out blackouts.

Chicago Bears: No blackouts expected.

Cincinnati Bengals: Hoping to extend 53-game sellout streak but can't rule out blackouts.

Cleveland Browns: No blackouts expected.

Dallas Cowboys: No blackouts expected.

Denver Broncos: Sold out all eight games.

Detroit Lions: Did not respond to survey, but blackouts are possible. Had four blackouts last year and five in 2008.

Green Bay Packers: Sold out all eight games.

Houston Texans: No blackouts expected.

Indianapolis Colts: Sold out all eight games.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Optimistic first four games will sell out, but can't rule out blackouts. Had seven blackouts last year.

Kansas City Chiefs: Opener sold out and optimistic all eight games will be. Can't rule out blackouts. Had one blackout last year.

Miami Dolphins: No blackouts expected.

Minnesota Vikings: No blackouts expected.

New England Patriots : Sold out all eight games.

New Orleans Saints: Sold out all eight games.

New York Giants: No blackouts expected.

New York Jets: No blackouts expected.

Oakland Raiders: Did not respond to survey, but blackouts are possible. Had seven blackouts last year.

Philadelphia Eagles: Sold out all eight games.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Sold out all eight games.

St. Louis Rams: Blackouts possible. Had three blackouts last year, and team is hopeful it won't exceed that total this year.

San Diego Chargers: Can't rule out blackouts.

San Francisco 49ers: No blackouts expected

Seattle Seahawks: Did not respond to survey. No blackouts last year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Blackouts likely.

Tennessee Titans: Sold out all eight games.

Washington Redskins : Sold out all eight games.

Yes, I received your P.M.. Unfortunately, the economy is down and sports like a lot of other things are taking hits.

Baseball, I think, is still affordable due to the number of home games (eighty-one). Football is different because there are only eight home games. I think some football fans opt for season tickets because of this (making single game tickets scarce).

For 2010, the least expensive ticket to a Cardinals home game is $25.00 for a seat in the Terrace Endzone. With the $5.25 "Facility Use Fee" surcharge, a fans' ticket is $30.25. At that, we're lucky.

At New Meadowlands Stadium, the Jets' least expensive ticket is $95 for a seat in the Upper Endzone. If one has the discretionary income, a seat in the Coaches Club/Section 113 is a cool $700. $30,000 for PSL and if you choose the 15 year plan, your annual equal installment is $3,245. To payoff in 5 years, it's $6,778.

However, if a football fan is more like the $10.00 per hour worker (rather than the $15.00 per hour worker), the Jets do offer seats in the Mezzanine Endzone B for $2,500 per PSL. The 15 year option provides an annual equal installment of $270. To payoff in 5 years it's $565.

(I do think rent/mortgage, utilities, taxes (deductions so that you don't possibly owe Federal and State at the end of the year), and food plus a fan's equal annual 15 year PSL installment would be a little tight on either $11.00 or $16.00 per hour even if the fan lives in, say, Nassau County, Westchester County, or in Newark, New Jersey rather than New York City.) (It might be a little better if the fan lives in, say, Suffolk County, Putnam County or in Elizabeth, New Jersey (on $11.00 or $16.00 per hour (assuming a steady forty hours workweek, and maybe 40 minutes to 1 hour overtime).)

Fortunately, the Cardinals games also are on KTAR 620 AM in Phoenix, and KCUB 1290 AM in Tucson, as well as on CBS 5, FOX 10, and ESPN in Phoenix, and CBS 13, FOX 11, and ESPN in Tucson.

The Jets games also are on WEPN ESPN 1050 AM

Yes, I received your P.M.. Unfortunately, the economy is down and sports like a lot of other things are taking hits.

Baseball, I think, is still affordable due to the number of home games (eighty-one). Football is different because there are only eight home games. I think some football fans opt for season tickets because of this (making single game tickets scarce).

For 2010, the least expensive ticket to a Cardinals home game is $25.00 for a seat in the Terrace Endzone. With the $5.25 "Facility Use Fee" surcharge, a fans' ticket is $30.25. At that, we're lucky.

At New Meadowlands Stadium, the Jets' least expensive ticket is $95 for a seat in the Upper Endzone. If one has the discretionary income, a seat in the Coaches Club/Section 113 is a cool $700. $30,000 for PSL and if you choose the 15 year plan, your annual equal installment is $3,245. To payoff in 5 years, it's $6,778.

However, if a football fan is more like the $10.00 per hour worker (rather than the $15.00 per hour worker), the Jets do offer seats in the Mezzanine Endzone B for $2,500 per PSL. The 15 year option provides an annual equal installment of $270. To payoff in 5 years it's $565.

(I do think rent/mortgage, utilities, taxes (deductions so that you don't possibly owe Federal and State at the end of the year), and food plus a fan's equal annual 15 year PSL installment would be a little tight on either $11.00 or $16.00 per hour even if the fan lives in, say, Nassau County, Westchester County, or in Newark, New Jersey rather than New York City.) (It might be a little better if the fan lives in, say, Suffolk County, Putnam County or in Elizabeth, New Jersey (on $11.00 or $16.00 per hour (assuming a steady forty hours workweek, and maybe 40 minutes to 1 hour overtime).)

Fortunately, the Cardinals games also are on KTAR 620 AM in Phoenix, and KCUB 1290 AM in Tucson, as well as on CBS 5, FOX 10, and ESPN in Phoenix, and CBS 13, FOX 11, and ESPN in Tucson.

The Jets games also are on WEPN ESPN 1050 AM

EE you right on how the economy is taking a toll now on all of the '4' major sports leagues. For instance, the Jets are lucky there are tons of rich companies based here in the NY/NJ area or else they would be on the TV Blackout list as well.

I think this is so stupid by the NFL not to at least revise the blackout policy IMO. For started the deadline should be moved up to 24 hours before kickoff local time. Also 2 home games, first for Opening Day and also during the weekend of Christmas/New Year should automatically be 'on regional tv.'

Personally i have no source, this blackout situation might be a smoke screen and get the ball rolling for pay per view. I think in the end, a 'compromise' might be created in which non-sellout home games will be shown on PPV in very near future as well.:(

In a good game featuring a defensive battle the defending champion Saints beat Bret Favre and the Vikings. However the game was overshadowed by at end of game 'fist salute' in which all of the players from both teams expressed their agreement as also players of the NFLPA.

So the first shot fired in a possible war between the NFL Owners/Management and NFLPA players has been fired. The possible victim, a lockout/strike that could wipe out the entire next season of 2011-12.:eek:

Well most of the games for week 1 in the season opener to the 2010-11 NFL season is done.

The Giants are (as of 4pm)late in 4th period, about to win their 1st game in their home digs, leading the Panthers 31-16. Also the Pats are killing the Bengals up in Foxboro, silencing the critics for at least a while that their status as a super bowl contender has ended. And in the first upset of the new season, The Houston Texans are on verge of beating Peyton Manning and the Colts.

The late 4pm(ET)games, plus the Redskins/Cowboys and Jets/Ravens are the last matcup's for opening weekend.:cool:

Archived