Creating a brown R or extending a new brown V to 4th Av

Roadcruiser1

Since we were talking about it earlier. How about this a brown (V) or a new <R> would be created so it would give riders on the (R) a one seat ride or a faster ride into Manhattan. Maybe even the (J) could be extended there too. Whats your thoughts on this.

Since we were talking about it earlier. How about this a brown (V) or a new <R> would be created so it would give riders on the (R) a one seat ride or a faster ride into Manhattan. Maybe even the (J) could be extended there too. Whats your thoughts on this.

No service improvements, because MTA has no money.

They just cut service, why do you fantasize that they will replace it with something else?

Would 60 Street be able to handle all that traffic?

Without affecting other services no. The 60th Street doesn't seem to handle the (N)(Q) and (R) well right now either as there are more (Q) trains then there were (W)s. I feel that there should be few more (Q)s to terminate at 57th during weekdays besides the current amount, which is at least 2 in the morning (1 goes to storage, another terminates and goes back to Brooklyn), since Astoria doesn't really need all those (Q)s there. Of course if the (W) comes back 9th Ave might work since they wouldn't have to use as many trains as they would if it ran to Bay Parkway.

I like the brown V option better; from Chambers St to 9th Av or even Bay Parkway. It will give Coney Island and 4th Av riders more options were to go; 6th Ave (D)(F), Broadway (N)(Q) and Nassau V..... and of course I'm talking after we rebound from service cuts.

What would work is reviving the (W) during rush hours in peak direction (except Manhattan and Brooklyn, some trains can terminate at 57th Street and run in both directions) and running from Astoria-Ditmars to 95st-Bay Ridge. It will make all stops in Manhattan via Whitehall St. From there, it can take the former (Mx) route all the way to 36th Street. Then, if it can, run skip-stop along the line (peak direction only) all the way to Bay Ridge. Just my idea. Or rush hour (Mx) in Brooklyn, before D-Day, June 28.

Guest lance25

1. Stop starting new threads that say the same thing.

2. Like stated in the other thread, you can't extend the (J) because the line will be too long. You also won't be able to resurrect the <R> because people will be confused. That's why the <Q> and (W) were introduced during the final stage of the Manhattan Bridge project, rather than bringing back the D and B. Like NX said, the best option would be a V. Of course, none of this will happen anytime soon with the (MTA)'s financial problems.

Of course, if they had used an extended (V) as originally planned, instead of (M), then a resored baker's special would simply become (Mx); which it actually originally was (Pre-Chrystie).

Now, if there are any further cuts eliminating the (Z), then that would be freed up if the skip stop was not restored whenever they began service increases again.

Without affecting other services no. The 60th Street doesn't seem to handle the (N)(Q) and (R) well right now either as there are more (Q) trains then there were (W)s. I feel that there should be few more (Q)s to terminate at 57th during weekdays besides the current amount, which is at least 2 in the morning (1 goes to storage, another terminates and goes back to Brooklyn), since Astoria doesn't really need all those (Q)s there. Of course if the (W) comes back 9th Ave might work since they wouldn't have to use as many trains as they would if it ran to Bay Parkway.

well by restoring the (W) I implied the (Q) would go back to 57th street all times.

To everyone who says the (MTA) is broke, yes, that much is true. They obviously don't have the money to start a ( V ) service tomorrow. But it's not going to stay that way permanently. The (MTA) will have have money again. And when they do, they might be able restore Nassau-4th Avenue service. What's wrong with speculating about what form that service might take? Why shouldn't we speculate about future (MTA) services? This forum (and others) would be incredibly boring if we didn't speculate about future services and if we didn't share our ideas for what we'd like that service to be.

I've been wondering about this, but I've never asked..... as short as the Astoria line is, why does it need 2 train services - (N)(W) previously, and (N)(Q) now?

Thats what I was thinking. There was a time when it was just the (N)(R) going through that tube. What has changed is instead of one tunnel/lower Manhattan service and one Bridge service, there's two bridge services. I want someone who lives up in Astoria and commutes every day to tell me if the (N) can handle that short Astoria leg by itself (increase headway slightly if needed).

I've been wondering about this, but I've never asked..... as short as the Astoria line is, why does it need 2 train services - (N)(W) previously, and (N)(Q) now?

For many years the Astoria line was the terminal for the Broadway local service, either the 4th ave "RR" or Brighton" QT" during the normal daytime hours. During rush hours the West End "T" service also used the line Ican only guess that the (Q) was sent there to join the (N) because of the loss of (W) service. It seems redundant IMO to have 2 Broadway expresses terminating there, but that's why I'm a lowly hourly while they pay the others big bucks to think of these things.

For many years the Astoria line was the terminal for the Broadway local service, either the 4th ave "RR" or Brighton" QT" during the normal daytime hours. During rush hours the West End "T" service also used the line Ican only guess that the (Q) was sent there to join the (N) because of the loss of (W) service. It seems redundant IMO to have 2 Broadway expresses terminating there, but that's why I'm a lowly hourly while they pay the others big bucks to think of these things.

There aren't 2 Broadway Expresses there. It was previously the (N) express/(W) local and now its the (N) local/(Q) express.

There aren't 2 Broadway Expresses there. It was previously the (N) express/(W) local and now its the (N) local/(Q) express.

That was my bad. For some reason I was thinking Sea Beach-4th Ave exp while overlooking the Manhattan segment. I still have a brainlock where anything via the bridge is a Broadway express. Thanks for the heads up.

Thats what I was thinking. There was a time when it was just the (N)(R) going through that tube. What has changed is instead of one tunnel/lower Manhattan service and one Bridge service, there's two bridge services. I want someone who lives up in Astoria and commutes every day to tell me if the (N) can handle that short Astoria leg by itself (increase headway slightly if needed).

I don't live in Astoria but I used to ride there reverse peak to go to school. The frequencies the (N) and(W) had was good at handling the ridership but the problem was that Ditmars could not handle the (N)(W) and is doing worse with the (N)(Q). I think switches should be installed south of Astoria Blvd so the middle can serve as a terminal to short turn some (Q)s and have some turn at 57th too. That would fix the congestion. The (N) and (Q) are too many trains on that line. If the (N) was the sole line to serve Astoria even with headway increases, it would not be able to handle those stations because they have high ridership. During the AM rush (N)s and (W) were SRO outta Ditmars. If the (N) was increased to 2-3 trains less than the (N)(W) combined then maybe it would work.

Archived