B/O Caught Texting On Duty By Rider

From Grand Concourse:

Btw Grand Concourse, youre much smarter than that comment. The bus driver is doing something wrong and you would really blame her if something happened to the bus? Guess what. If anything happens to the bus that's on HIM! He is being paid by the (MTA), it's his responsibility. If he's doing something dangerous and something happens then that is on HIM. But I guess that's what happens when ethics are selectively enforced amongst transit fans....

I'm not blaming her for reporting about it. I'm blaming her for the way she handled the situation. She could've taken action earlier when she saw the driver texting than to just whip out a cellphone to record the b/o's action. That's taking preemptive action than being a passive snitcher.

I stand by what I said cuz thank god nothing happened [crash or worse]. So again, she is right to report the driver, but handled it poorly by not speaking up about it when she saw it.

What is so damn important that people have to say (well, period, but especially) in "texting" someone, to the point where it actually gets in the way of your job & your performance....

with the way people are losing jobs, everything should be done on a person's part to eliminate any basic (albeit, stupid, IMO) reason for getting terminated...

although it didn't happen in this particular case, still though, gotta be embarrassing as hell when you have to tell your family that you got fired because you were texting....

smh....

What is so damn important that people have to say (well, period, but especially) in "texting" someone, to the point where it actually gets in the way of your job & your performance....

with the way people are losing jobs, everything should be done on a person's part to eliminate any basic (albeit, stupid, IMO) reason for getting terminated...

although it didn't happen in this particular case, still though, gotta be embarrassing as hell when you have to tell your family that you got fired because you were texting....

smh....

Yes true that is embarrassing my mother said the same thing " he might lose his job over something so stupid "

What is this "Black Star News" and what kind of readership does it have? Sounds kinda sketchy to me.

Other than NY 1, I have not heard this story picked up on the major local or national news networks/newspapers (has anyone seen this story repeated anywhere else?), and I have not heard any major backlash against B/O's.

What is this "Black Star News" and what kind of readership does it have? Sounds kinda sketchy to me.

No more sketchy than oh say....Fox News.

I stand by what I said cuz thank god nothing happened [crash or worse]. So again, she is right to report the driver, but handled it poorly by not speaking up about it when she saw it.

Yes, she could have handled the situation better than the way she did, and she should have said something to the driver. But to say

God forbid he crashed the bus before reaching the last stop because she didn't say something.
does imply a mis-allocation of responsibility. And reporting someone is considered preemptive action, because he would have likely did the same thing again until something happened if this report didn't come out (unless he's stupid enough to continue texting while driving on the job).

Fine, but she should've spoken up first though. What she did is equal to snitching imo. Again, not condoning what the driver did, but if she was really concerned she would've told the driver asap. If she still had a problem, then she could've got the badge, bus and run numbers if she really wanted to report him.

Other than NY 1, I have not heard this story picked up on the major local or national news networks/newspapers (has anyone seen this story repeated anywhere else?), and I have not heard any major backlash against B/O's.

Ch. 11 did, http://www.wpix.com/news/local/wpix-bus-driver-text-brooklyn,0,248815.story

I can see both sides of the argument on this. The problem is texting while driving is becoming a big issue not just with T/A workers but the every day driver. It contributes to a lot of accidents these days. Also I don't know if it's law here but in most places texting/talking on the phone while behind the wheel is illegal. Point is the person shouldn't have been doing it. If you choose to do it while on the job you become subject to any and all consequences that may become of it, fair or unfair.

I think people are getting ridiculous with this. I just heard the other day that people are snooping and complaining about people on duty reading or whatever. Someone supposedly was harassing the dispatchers at Parsons (J) and even taking pictures, for sitting and reading something which turned out the train sheet!

DUH! that's what their job is! Jumping the gun, and publicity seeking! Should get busted for that, which is actually a security risk.

And even for those reading books or something, we do get PAID breaks, including lunch; just like every other worker.

And even with electronic devices, people do use them to take notes about the job, such as which cars they operated, and some even have the rule book on them; I have a copy of my schedule on it too.

Of course, nobody knows whether they are doing those things, or texting, and we can mess it up for ourselves when caught truly texting. Like in Boston, where they now forbid them to even have phones at work period after those crashes.

Archived