The High School Discussion thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

High School may not make or break one's livelihood but its 4 years of your life you have to go through and cannot be redone. For some people high school was less than 4 years but I say 4 because for 95% of the graduating population it is. I will be graduating in the Harry S Truman Class of 2011 and wanted to post a thread for all the current, future and recent past high schoolers to discuss what it takes to get through those 4 years.

Topics that should be discussed can include but are not limited to the following.

1. The advantages/disavantages of Honors/AP classes

2. SAT/ACT and college admissions requirements

3. Socializing and attracting the opposite sex (Try not to go overboard with this one.)

4. Specialized High Schools- Are they head and heels above other public schools? Does it truly matter if a great student gets into one or not? (Topic pertains to NYCDOE students only)

5. Should senior year be your most demanding year of high school or your least demanding?

Even if your a non New Yorker or go to a private or Catholic school don't be afraid to chime in. Also add some personal experiences you have had, are having or will have in high school. Just don't get too personal, we dont need to know your life story. Take it away and let's have fun discussing.

I graduated in 2009 and while it may be weird to say, I really REALLY miss high school. I went to a charter school (for those who don't know what "charter" schools are, the school is privately run, separately from the City of New York in my school's case, while still relying heavily on public funding). and I pretty much got along with everyone, both teachers and students. I never had problems with anyone, so to speak. My grades were decent although in my sophomore year I was in my prime and I graduated with an Advanced Regents diploma. The students were controversial at times as a lot of kids were very open about themselves (there was a Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual table) but we knew when to keep the peace and go about our day.

I graduated in 2009 and while it may be weird to say, I really REALLY miss high school. I went to a charter school (for those who don't know what "charter" schools are, the school is privately run, separately from the City of New York in my school's case, while still relying heavily on public funding). and I pretty much got along with everyone, both teachers and students. I never had problems with anyone, so to speak. My grades were decent although in my sophomore year I was in my prime and I graduated with an Advanced Regents diploma. The students were controversial at times as a lot of kids were very open about themselves (there was a Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual table) but we knew when to keep the peace and go about our day.

My prime came junior year where my GPA was above 100. First semester I got 103.7 and second semester I got a 101.5 with a missing AP Chemistry grade(the teacher forgot to put in her grades.). She told me that I scored a 98 which would of bought my second semester average up being that AP classes are weighed. My grades really weren't that special, I only scored 100 once, First Semester AP Chemistry, the weighing of Honors/AP classes kept my average above 100 and on top of the school for the entire school year. Not to mention I was on top of the somphomore class for the entire second semester. For junior year none of my final semester grades were below 90 and that includes English which I think is my weak subject. Bad news is im up for AP English senior year. Im only taking it to show the arrogance that my stellar performance allowed me to build. In other words im only challenging myself to prove that I am better than rest of the school. None of my AP classes(I took 3 junior year AP Statistics, AP US History and AP Chemistry) resulted in a semester grade below 95. I would also like to add that I achieved this junior year success with ONLY Honors/AP classes on my schedule, not easy to do is it.

My prime came junior year where my GPA was above 100. First semester I got 103.7 and second semester I got a 101.5 with a missing AP Chemistry grade(the teacher forgot to put in her grades.). She told me that I scored a 98 which would of bought my second semester average up being that AP classes are weighed. My grades really weren't that special, I only scored 100 once, First Semester AP Chemistry, the weighing of Honors/AP classes kept my average above 100 and on top of the school for the entire school year. Not to mention I was on top of the somphomore class for the entire second semester. For junior year none of my final semester grades were below 90 and that includes English which I think is my weak subject. Bad news is im up for AP English senior year. Im only taking it to show the arrogance that my stellar performance allowed me to build. In other words im only challenging myself to prove that I am better than rest of the school. None of my AP classes(I took 3 junior year AP Statistics, AP US History and AP Chemistry) resulted in a semester grade below 95. I would also like to add that I achieved this junior year success with ONLY Honors/AP classes on my schedule, not easy to do is it.

Wow...you have a lot coming your way. Many say that junior year is the most difficult year to accomplish but I managed to sweep it away with a 3.4. Senior year was difficult as hell for me. In my first term I fooled around and it cost me, big time. I'm not afraid to admit that I failed a class the first term but I made up for it in the second term in the first semester, and my final grade for the first semester in my senior year was a 3.4.

I don't know if you are aware of Math B as they changed the curriculum for the test but that test is frackin' hard! I had to take that test four times before I finally passed it; I got a 66. I was made aware of the notice on the day I graduated and I let out a big sigh of relief that I would have an Advanced Regents.

AP Tests...meh. I took Government and got a 2; the Bio test I got a 1. Both were irrelevant as I'm not even majoring in either of those fields. I'm pretty much done with history in college for the most part...all I have to do is take a science and an english course for one semester, and then a foreign language for three semesters and I'm done with Gen Ed.

i will be entering my 3rd year of high school at Merivale High School in Ottawa, ontario i find the hardest part about it is planning what you what to be ( but for this im taking co op at OC Transpo ) also the sociallizing aspect of high school is always interesting, im pretty comfortable where i am now but you never know, next year could be a complete different thing

High school had its moments for me. Academically it was a breeze. I didn't have to try too hard to make friends because most of my 8th grade class ended up in the same high school. Going to a catholic all boys school though was kinda weird. Getting use to no girls other than teachers being around. Then there was the priest scandal that was pretty much brand new and it made a bunch of us feel uneasy. I will say my Junior and Senior year were a blast though.

Did anyone else here spend their homeroom time playing UNO?

Whoa highschool for me that wa s a long time ago.......

For me i went to New rochelle high.during my four years there it wasnt to bad most of my buddys i went to middle school with came to the HS.I flew through the classes with a breeze.I have to admit though my freshman year in HS i was one bad seed. lol.Then my second year was when i woke up and smelled the coffee and had to work extra hard to make up for what i didnt do in my first year.Then of course in the middle of my 2nd year i almost became a bad seed and stoped myself in my tracks.After that it was pretty much simple.I grad got my advance regents diploma.And was finally done what a relief.Funny thing is i rode the bus all the time in my younger years and never for a minute i thought i would be driving them intill now lol.

5. Should senior year be your most demanding year of high school or your least demanding?

I forgot to touch down on this question. Senior year actually should be the most demanding. After that year 2 things usually happen; you become of age and you have to start paving the road for your future. My grandmother had me thinking about the future way before that but after high school you have to do more than think. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of being a high school senior all the while forgetting that after graduation you have a whole new world placed in front of you.

Granted you don't have to know EXACTLY what you want to do. Most people usually don't at that age. There are some who do know, start working toward it and find that what they wanted may not be what they expected. There are people still figuring out what they want even in their 20s. The idea is to have steps for what to do when encountering road blocks ahead.

I admit that throughout most of my life I rarely have a set plan. I tend to live in the moment, go with my gut instinct and feel things out. However you do it is fine. But senior year should be more even more emphasize on getting to know yourself, how you take on challenges best and using that to push forward.

High School may not make or break one's livelihood but its 4 years of your life you have to go through and cannot be redone. For some people high school was less than 4 years but I say 4 because for 95% of the graduating population it is. I will be graduating in the Harry S Truman Class of 2011 and wanted to post a thread for all the current, future and recent past high schoolers to discuss what it takes to get through those 4 years.

Topics that should be discussed can include but are not limited to the following.

1. The advantages/disavantages of Honors/AP classes

2. SAT/ACT and college admissions requirements

3. Socializing and attracting the opposite sex (Try not to go overboard with this one.)

4. Specialized High Schools- Are they head and heels above other public schools? Does it truly matter if a great student gets into one or not? (Topic pertains to NYCDOE students only)

Even if your a non New Yorker or go to a private or Catholic school don't be afraid to chime in. Also add some personal experiences you have had, are having or will have in high school. Just don't get too personal, we dont need to know your life story. Take it away and let's have fun discussing.

I don't mind being personal... I have nothing to lie about, or hide....

That said.

1) I took an AP chemistry class (one semester), a year of AP physics, and a year of AP calculus.... the disadvantages were that I wasn't leaving school around 11am/noon in my senior year... the one advantage of taking those courses, is the fact that I didn't have to take math & physics in my first years of college; since I got college credits for having taking them in HS (high school)....

2) I'm the wrong person to ask about the SAT... I didn't take that test near as seriously as most high schoolers did.... always felt people OD'd on how important/difficult that thing was.... I know they changed the scoring now, but back when getting a perfect score was a 1600, I ended up getting a 12-something... without really trying...

I hated the fact I had to waste a saturday morning to go to Lafayette HS to take that test....

3) I wasn't a socialite in high school at all... I was the dude that didn't say much... but was cool with pretty much erry'one.... my 2nd year was when I started gettin @ females in there... there wasn't much to pick from, that I found attractive b/c at the time, Grady was like 85% dudes & 15% females.... every last girl I kicked it on some level with, all left after sophomore year....

junior year I would tag along w/ the main group I hung around... and after school we would go to prospect heights (don't know what it's called now)... every single one of us knew at least one girl that went there... we'd all hang out afterwards.. did what we did, and I'll leave it at that....

senior year I didn't chill w/ cats as much as I used to.... I was laidback as hell b/c I pretty much wanted to get the hell out of Grady... the police presence inside the school, the cops outside on horseback, I felt like a prisoner at times... the atmosphere took a turn for the worst... even the principal at the school left, the year I graduated (1999)....

4) It looks good on your transscript, but attending & graduating the specialized HS doesn't mean near as much as it used to.... that's about as far as I'ma go with that....

5) Your senior year in HS, as far as HS is concerned, should be your LEAST demanding.... You should be worrying about finishing up (passing) the the last few classes you need to graduate, and look into what college you're thinking about (or will be) attending.

The people that are scurrying & panicing, tryna find out what classes they have to pass in order to graduate, are the ones that make it the most demanding on themselves... b/c those were classes that they should've passed the first time around... instead of cutting classes in their 1st/2nd years of HS....

I graduated in 2009 and while it may be weird to say, I really REALLY miss high school.

You and me are two different people. I just graduated and my mind is STILL partying after a month :P

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I remember high school like it was yesterday. Those were the best 5 years (I'm not ashamed to say it) of my life. I was in Boys & Girls H.S from 2003 to 2008. I started early (I was originally supposed to start in 2004) cuz I got skipped in the 5th grade. The only reason I got held back was cuz around my sophmore year, that's when I started to get lazy and by the time my 1st senior yr came along, it was too late to catch up. In my 2nd senior year, I graduated with a 85.75 average.

The only honors class I had was math A and I passed the regents with a 94. All my other regents I got a 74 (English), a 90 (U.S. History), a 82 (math :P, a 80 (Global History) and a 88 (Living Environment science). None of them was really that hard. I took my SAT in my junior and 2nd senior year and I forgot my scores lol. I wouldn't say I was the most popular kid in scholl (I know for a damn fact I wasn't lmao) but I had many friends. I tried not to date girls in my school but I ended up doing it 3 times.

IMHO, I think specialized high schools didn't really make much of a difference since you was technically getting the same education. (I could've gotten into Stuyvesant but back then it was too much pressure for me). To me, senior year isn't really the most important year, but rather junior year cuz that's when colleges start to look at your transcripts. Senior year is like the year where you start preparing yourself for your future and whatnot.

I graduated in 2009 with a Regents Diploma (passed all of them, with above a 75 to boot). Hated it after about the middle of 10th grade or so, when everyone knew everyone else but me.

Which HS did you go to?

You and me are two different people. I just graduated and my mind is STILL partying after a month :P

Same exact thing here, when I picked up my report card for the last time I damn there died. Class of 2010 ftw. :P

Got a Regents Dimploma, didn't get the Advanced one because they gave me my testing schedule on the day of the Math B regents. Plus I dropped Spanish because it was too much, didn't Lear what I should've in Spanish 4 because we mostly watched movies. I don't even care lol. It's done and I'm glad.

All my regents scores are above 82. My highest average was a 100, lowest was a 60-something.

junior year I would tag along w/ the main group I hung around... and after school we would go to prospect heights (don't know what it's called now)... every single one of us knew at least one girl that went there... we'd all hang out afterwards.. did what we did, and I'll leave it at that....

I went to that school...well not really.When I was there they had 5 small school inside Prospect heights.

High school had its moments for me. Academically it was a breeze. I didn't have to try too hard to make friends because most of my 8th grade class ended up in the same high school. Going to a catholic all boys school though was kinda weird. Getting use to no girls other than teachers being around. Then there was the priest scandal that was pretty much brand new and it made a bunch of us feel uneasy. I will say my Junior and Senior year were a blast though.

Did anyone else here spend their homeroom time playing UNO?

My dude said Uno....

nobody was beatin me in stacks... word up...

what you know about bringin extra draw four's from your uno deck at home, and takin that shit to school... making cats draw 30 & shit...

..or stacking reverses & skips, to set up certain dudes, for the big draws...

no lies... I almost got into a fight with this one dude over that... I'm cryin laughin as I'm typin this.... Sophomore year.. every 3rd period... there this annoyin kid that kept sayin he can take out all of us, one by one... so one day, we all conspired to embarrass the hell out of him...

let's just say this dude had to pick up the whole deck... mofo had nothin but numbers in his hand... LMFAO.... he threw the cards on the floor, started throwing a tantrum (girls were laughing at him at this point)... I said something like, mission accomplished.. it was something snide, to that effect.... he call himself tryna step to me...

with tears down his eyes.

classic stuff.....

It's been 5 years since I graduated from high school. I went to a small high school that my graduating class size was only 9 students and I was ranked 2nd in my class. I would been ranked 1st in the class but a girl transfered from another school during my senior year had a higher average. I had a good experience for the most part that I got good grades, did not get into trouble, won't consider myself popular but known in my school as the good and smart student. I did not date during my high school years since I was focused with my grades to prepare me for college that in the long run.

My dude said Uno....

nobody was beatin me in stacks... word up...

what you know about bringin extra draw four's from your uno deck at home, and takin that shit to school... making cats draw 30 & shit...

..or stacking reverses & skips, to set up certain dudes, for the big draws...

no lies... I almost got into a fight with this one dude over that... I'm cryin laughin as I'm typin this.... Sophomore year.. every 3rd period... there this annoyin kid that kept sayin he can take out all of us, one by one... so one day, we all conspired to embarrass the hell out of him...

let's just say this dude had to pick up the whole deck... mofo had nothin but numbers in his hand... LMFAO.... he threw the cards on the floor, started throwing a tantrum (girls were laughing at him at this point)... I said something like, mission accomplished.. it was something snide, to that effect.... he call himself tryna step to me...

with tears down his eyes.

classic stuff.....

LMAO!!

As for me, I went to Community High School in Teaneck, NJ. It is on Teaneck Road, just north of Route 4. It was smaller than most high schools (about 150 students) I attended there from 1998-2002. As for me, I was known by everybody and got along with everyone. I did not have a girlfriend, and still don't have one. IIRC, the lowest grade I got was a B- or a B.

Archived