I just realized...

Ftrainfan

If the R160's appear on the (G) train for revenue service (trust me, it won't happen) this foamer will be super obsessed, that he'll actually ride it back and forth for one day or so. I really don't understand why this is such a big deal, considering that its just a subway car. Like I said, obsession with a subway car.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its funny how this dude wants R160's on more lines, To Me the the R160's should have been on these lines instead of what we see to day:

(A), Should have gotten them first, yeah they ran in 2006 for a test trail, But due to a Bullshit reason they are not on the (A)...

(C), Should have them, No excuse, The (C) is like the stepchild, I like the R32's on the (C) but the (C) should have R160's also...

The Lines that should only have Half:

(E), .....even if the (E) ran older equipment, they should have waited until after the (F) got them...

(F), should only have Half of them, it makes no sense to take away all the R46's just because of the cut (M) (Essex cut)....

(Q), It Should be plan R68's, Those trains do not look right on the (Q)...

I have no comment on the (J),(M),(Z) and (L), They belong on those lines.

Honestly, the (J)(M) and (Z) should have all gotten R143s, just to start pushing out the worst of the 42s IMO.

I like them on the (Q) (Of course that's my favorite line and they're my favorite cars :P)

The (E) had some of the oldest equipment in the system so it's natural that they got (although the (C) and (R) should have gotten also)

The (F) getting them because of the (M) is a bs reason, but whatever.

As for the (A) and (C), at least they'll get the R179s (in hypothetical foamer theory).

Why didn't the (A) get them?

And stop dumping on the kid for his R160 lust. Like no one on this board was fascinated with trains at one point!

Its funny how this dude wants R160's on more lines, To Me the the R160's should have been on these lines instead of what we see to day:

(A), Should have gotten them first, yeah they ran in 2006 for a test trail, But due to a Bullshit reason they are not on the A, The A always runs older equipment and its the longest line in the system.

(:P, Should have half or most of them, The B would be perfect for R160's, R68's don't look right on the B , Plus it would be smarter because it has 2 terminals

(C), Should have them, No excuse, The C is like the stepchild, I like the R32's on the C but the C should have R160's also, half the C crew are R160 ready.

(D), too many R68's on that damn line, it needs to be half and Half

The Lines that should only have Half:

(E), Those E riders make me sick, even if the E ran older equipment, they should have waited until after the (F) got them, it was funny that the E was jacked up on the 1st day that junk entered service due to the crews not being ready.

(F), should only have Half of them, it makes no sense to take away all the R46's just because of the cut (M) (Essex cut), Dumbass supervisor that made the choice, should be fired, The F was great with Half R46's and Half R160's

(Q), It Should be plan R68's, Those trains do not look right on the Q, They look so ugly on the (Q).

(R) should have half and half, same as the F.

I have no comment on the (J),(M),(Z) and (L), They belong on those lines.

Ok , first off...

*How is the (E) going to be only half R160s. Jamaica barley has enough of any other cars but R160s. And R46s on the E will equal=disaster for the 8th Ave local/Queens Blvd Exp since 75 footers can't handle crowds as big as the (E)'s usual weekday ridership.

and second

*The (F) is just fine with R160s only. it's better for ridership , better frequency and once agin. Jamaica may not have enough R46s to run on the (F) and run on the (G) and (R) as well. Since they can't make full length R46 (G)'s anymore.

and third...

R160s should not have to be removed from the (Q). It's better for Q service as well. And FYI: R160s LOOK AWESOME on the Q

and forth...

The only thing I agree with here is running R160s on the (B) , (C) and (D).

That would be epic.

Wouldn't a future R2XX replace the R68's anyway?

XX-For the number hasn't be fully decided yet. Anyway in the future the R2XX might be better and newer then all the other subway cars. By then it would be the mid 2020's and the youngest R160's would be 16 years old. Then the people would foam here for those cars too!. :P

dude, the reefing equipment left in may, so they are no longer reefing trains, the R32's mostlikely will be placed on a different line within a year, the R32's have 5-8 years left, trust Me the way they are being treated I see them being on another line, come on 80 to 100 out of 244 OOS due to A/C problem,207th knew that those R32's were not coming from Jamaica in decent shape back in 2009 (A/C) and they didn't do nothing, So I Blame 207th for being so damn slow and stupid and plus one of the (A)'s supt Banned them from the (A), so I find it funny how people say that all 244 R32's should stay at 207th but yet they only use 144 R32's for the (C) plus spares about 180 cars, if they are not on the (A) no more for the 3rd time, Make the (C) 10 Damn cars already or send them back to Coney Island, And trust Me (C) riders are starting to bicth, We can't get mad because the (C) never had new equipment, the Newest trains the (C) ever had were the R110's. Back when subway cars were scraped, they were at Coney Island yard, I don't see the remaining R32's and R42's being reefed, NYCTA would keep about 80-100 R32's for work service. That reefing program is a waste of money and its bad for the water.

*The (F) is just fine with R160s only. it's better for ridership , better frequency and once agin. Jamaica may not have enough R46s to run on the (F) and run on the (G) and (R) as well. Since they can't make full length R46 (G)'s anymore.

HOW About HELL NO!!!!!!!!, R46's should still be on the (F), the (F)/® should share both R46's and R160's, It would Save time, Money and Crews, since this change There are more crew moving the damn R160's around like musical chairs and That's a Waste of Money, No Wonder why we call it Money Thrown Away.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

HOW About HELL NO!!!!!!!!, R46's should still be on the (F), the (F)/® should share both R46's and R160's, It would Save time, Money and Crews, since this change There are more crew moving the damn R160's around like musical chairs and That's a Waste of Money, No Wonder why we call it Money Thrown Away.

They were taken off the (F) for a reason. As someone said before I rather be safe then sorry. Would you want a 75' car taking the wrong lineup then getting stuck? It would cost even more money just to get it out. Personally, I think removing them from the (F) was a good idea

I really don't think that's the reason. A few 46's still do run on the (F), and they would not get "stuck" if they took the wrong lineup. They keep them out of there (from either the Chrystie or Montague end) so they won't mistakenly go over the bridge and beyond, which is where the clearance hazards are. (They have been brought onto the Nassau lines for special reasons such as movies).

The (F), as the express is the next priority line after the (E). If the 160's weren't on the (F), the only other place they could go would be the (R) or (G); but the (F) has priority over those lines. (Umntil they decide the put them on the (G) to ease a full time OPTO).

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They were taken off the (F) for a reason. As someone said before I rather be safe then sorry. Would you want a 75' car taking the wrong lineup then getting stuck? It would cost even more money just to get it out. Personally, I think removing them from the (F) was a good idea

The R46 or any 75 footer can fit in that tunnel, an R68 (D) train was at essex st before in Passenger service, So there is no excuse, If the (G) gets the R160's the (G)'s R46's will be on the (R) making the (R) 100% R46.

Signal malfunctions, switch malfunction could always fool a train operator into going into the Chyrstie Cut. If that were to happen, (F)(M) service will most likely have to go through West End/Brighton/Sea Beach for hours and hours, (J)(Z) service would be delayed and Middle Village riders would be stuck without trains for several hours. Also, after they get the train out, they will need to inspect the walls, signals, track, trains to make sure nothing gets ripped off or something. That will take weeks to fix, and that means (M) Shuttle to Myrtle at all times, delayed or sometimes rerouted (F) service to the (A)(C), and how bad would that be. Like NX said, it was better for the R46 to get off the (F)

@R32: How the HELL would a R68 (D) be in service at Essex?

A) It wouldn't clear curves to the bridge and back. It will probably mess everything up

:P How does it turn back?

We're not going to get anymore R160s anytime soon. For now, be happy with what you have. I know a few months ago you were really enjoying them on the (F), so now it's time to enjoy them on the (A), (R) and (G).

R160s are coming in and the wrong information about R160s was given out on here.

The Gothamist has successfully documented including pictures more R160's arriving as documented here:

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/05/new_subway_cars.php

I was surprised myself that R160s were still coming in but they are and the pictures show they are being delivered, and have to go through testing stages and aren't yet in service.

Unclear how many new cars are arriving and I don't know if this was part of a new option order or some cars got delayed that didn't arrive previously but I was surprised to hear this article considering I was under the impression all R160s did in fact arrive already.

http://twitpic.com/2bm75t shows on August 4th the cars arriving by boat. Seems to be quite a few new cars sent on this boat in the delivery. I don't know if this is the last shipment or if more are coming in.

Maybe someone can share more light as to which car #s these are and if it was a new option order?

R160s are coming in and the wrong information about R160s was given out on here.

The Gothamist has successfully documented including pictures more R160's arriving as documented here:

I was surprised myself that R160s were still coming in but they are and the pictures show they are being delivered, and have to go through testing stages and aren't yet in service.

Unclear how many new cars are arriving and I don't know if this was part of a new option order or some cars got delayed that didn't arrive previously but I was surprised to hear this article considering I was under the impression all R160s did in fact arrive already.

They ARE NOT COMING IN!!!

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=86 (from MTA site)

http://twitpic.com/2bm75t shows on August 4th the cars arriving by boat. Seems to be quite a few new cars sent on this boat in the delivery. I don't know if this is the last shipment or if more are coming in.

Maybe someone can share more light as to which car #s these are and if it was a new option order?

Hey Dude they stoped ordering R160's a while ago, all cars are in service and the Next Order Will be R179's if awarded, The R188's are already awarded for the (7) line with the R142A's being CBTC converted.

Signal malfunctions, switch malfunction could always fool a train operator into going into the Chyrstie Cut. If that were to happen, (F)(M) service will most likely have to go through West End/Brighton/Sea Beach for hours and hours, (J)(Z) service would be delayed and Middle Village riders would be stuck without trains for several hours. Also, after they get the train out, they will need to inspect the walls, signals, track, trains to make sure nothing gets ripped off or something. That will take weeks to fix, and that means (M) Shuttle to Myrtle at all times, delayed or sometimes rerouted (F) service to the (A)(C), and how bad would that be. Like NX said, it was better for the R46 to get off the (F)

@R32: How the HELL would a R68 (D) be in service at Essex?

A) It wouldn't clear curves to the bridge and back. It will probably mess everything up

:P How does it turn back?

I don't Know but it can fit in the Nassau St tunnel, they can relay it on the bridge but no other train can enter the bridge until that 75 footer is relayed

I don't Know but it can fit in the Nassau St tunnel, they can relay it on the bridge but no other train can enter the bridge until that 75 footer is relayed

The first problem the 75-footer would encounter is on the Brooklyn side of the Willy Bridge. Except for the platform size, IIRC 75-footers work well on the Nassau line.

Nope, its a current pic.

That isnt 9128 BY the WAY. IT says 912 B (B as in boy).

Whatever that says, there are NO MORE R160s!!! The MTA says so. Everyone says so. What makes you think that Gothamist is right but the MTA is wrong?

Ok it could be an old photo. It looked current, but everyone is saying the Date Stamp is old. I did not invetigate that and am not. It doesn't matter.

I thought more cars were coming in cause of the gothamist story. Thats all.

Which is probably not the case, just someone retalking about an old story.

:tup: Ditto!

I'm starting to really dislike them...since they've all been taking over so many routes. If the new trains looked/run differently for each line and incorporate design (like they do in Japan), I would not be complaining. But these new trains, they all look the same and run the same. There's nothing special about them. Its Clone Wars, train version. Motoney on like almost every line.

Monotony*

I really don't think that's the reason. A few 46's still do run on the (F), and they would not get "stuck" if they took the wrong lineup. They keep them out of there (from either the Chrystie or Montague end) so they won't mistakenly go over the bridge and beyond, which is where the clearance hazards are. (They have been brought onto the Nassau lines for special reasons such as movies).

Are you sure the R46s still run on the (F)? I've taken the QB lines 6 days a week in July and I've never seen an R46 on the (F) since the cuts.

What's being called the 179's now is basically a fill-in on the 160's to make up for the increased car requirements of the (M) (to replace the 42's), and the 44's being replaced instead of the 32's. The 211's will be what the 179's previously were; a replacement of the 46's, whose car lengths are still to be decided.

Archived