Crown Heights-Utica Avenue Turnstile MetroCard Reader Error

CTK246

Whenever I put $4.50 on my MetroCard and use a ride, I try to swipe my MetroCard at this station, but it jacks my remaining $2.25 and says Insufficient Fare. Then my card has no money left and will say insufficient for all other stations. Does anyone else have this problem?

Whenever I put $4.50 on my MetroCard and use a ride, I try to swipe my MetroCard at this station, but it jacks my remaining $2.25 and says Insufficient Fare. Then my card has no money left and will say insufficient for all other stations. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes i have this problem as well.The thing is that if you swipe it a normal way(Not to fast or slow) it should be good.If there is someone at the booth you tell them about it and they will let you in (Once they see the metrocard).If there is no booth then you lost the fare.Unless you go to another booth.

Simple solution. 7 day Unlimited. Instead of "Insufficient Fare", it'll say "Just Used"

Shocking.

I don't think you read the whole post:

at that station, you have a heavy volume of "swipers", who sell rides when the machines are broken, usually swiping cards in a way that causes the turnstyles to get dirty, and thus, not able to read the card correctly........

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

but it's illegal to sell rides to people when the VDM are broken.

Most of the time its the people who sell the swipes themselves that messed up the MVM on purpose...I've seen it done before

Interesting topic: Is Crown Heights-Utica Avenue (3)(4) the only station that this occurs - where the turnstile sometimes takes two fares instead of one or sends a "Just Used" message when a Metrocard is swiped to enter?

Also, are there other stations that are hotspots for "Swipers"?

I recall back in the day when you needed the transfer at Franklin Avenue, there would be people lounging around the entrance to the (S) station on Fulton who would offer to sell you the free paper transfer at the price of a token.

• 2 weeks later...
If your not a TA employee who works fare control, that would be tampering with TA property.

Sounds like 1st degree mopery to me.

Actually, if you need to catch the train and want to pay the fare and not pay for a swipe illegally, that's what you do. Point of sale card swipe machines have the same problem, only way to clean the read head(s) is to run a card through with some paper over it.

No offense you guys, but sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands to get stuff done in this world.

- A

Actually, if you need to catch the train and want to pay the fare and not pay for a swipe illegally, that's what you do. Point of sale card swipe machines have the same problem, only way to clean the read head(s) is to run a card through with some paper over it.

No offense you guys, but sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands to get stuff done in this world.

- A

Explain that to the judge... your not an MTA employee, don't touche the damn machine.

Speaking of MetroCard swipes I just learned a lesson the other night that when the turnstile says Please Swipe This Card At the Turnstile Again, it has already took the $2.25 fare but needs another swipe to activate GO. If someone else swipes, you are going to have to pay another fare.

I hate that,that's another way the TA could rob you your money..some people don't know it yet....when I was in school,I use the student metro,it said that.when I swipe it at another turnstye it will say ''just use''WTF.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived