Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
SpikeMauler

Walder buys $1.6 million condo

Good for him...I don't care.

You should. This guy is making everyday living on the lower class and middle class quite harder in this tough economy. The question is how far is he going to go? $2.50 a ride maybe $3.00 a ride or better yet let's make it $5.00 a ride. He does not care for you, me or any one that uses the MTA which is a vital element of New York City. He wants us to pay more for less. I can't wait till someone get bit by a rat cause the stations are so dirty or someone can't get help cause the there no station agent there. There's money to stop all that has happen in last few months (lay offs,service cuts) but rather screw the workers and people that use the system.

Who cares? It's not like he used (MTA) money.

Tax payer pay is salary as do subway riders. In some way the people of NY state paid for this.

I guess the point I was trying to make by posting the article was that for someone who preaches doing more with less, and sacrifice(salary cuts, lesser bennies,pension reform etc) for the greater good of the mta, it just seemed to be a slap in the face(IMO) to purchase something with that big price tag while he's laying off people making $50k a year. He was asked to lead by example and cut his salary and bennies just as he's asking his work force to do, and he refused. For $350k a year and a $5k a month housing allowance what has he done so far? He's laid off hundreds of NYCT workers(with potentially much more to come), he's cut services across the board and he installed some clocks in some stations. A trained monkey could lay off people and cut service. Where's all the "thinking out of the box". He came in from day 1 looking for a fight with the union and he found it. He'll not get any significant reform without help from the union. Until then he's just the new monkey, same as the old monkeys(excluding Elliot Sander).

Doesn't he get a housing allowance on top of his six figure salary?

Yes, $5k a month on top of his $350k a year...

His housing allowance is more than most peoples base salary.

He also gets $22k a year put into a retirement fund(on top of the $350k a yr & $5k a month).

Wow, that's $25k more a year than I figured (I thought it was 30K a year in total).

He also gets $22k a year put into a retirement fund(on top of the $350k a yr & $5k a month).

You guys need to stop about this. I'm not defending him, but if a governor wants to hire you to head the MTA, aren't you going to look for the best deal possible? I doubt you're going to say, "hey wait a minute, I really don't deserve this." If you say that, they will say "you're right. Let's look for someone else." Do you guys get upset when athletes ask for a lot of money? This is Paterson's fault for giving him this ridiculously absurd offer, and if you go further back, Eliot Spitzer's fault for screwing a hooker with public money and making Paterson his lt. Governor and then resigning. Walder is a hired hand, hired to do exactly what he's doing. It's our fault, those of us that voted for Spitzer for believing in yet another snake (aka politician) who we thought would actually do something good. I voted for Spitzer, and regret that I did, though my one vote didn't win it for him, nor me not voting for him lost it for him. I'm sure glad I never voted for Obama. At least there is no guilt there.

Edited by Blatherskite

You should. This guy is making everyday living on the lower class and middle class quite harder in this tough economy. The question is how far is he going to go? $2.50 a ride maybe $3.00 a ride or better yet let's make it $5.00 a ride. He does not care for you, me or any one that uses the MTA which is a vital element of New York City. He wants us to pay more for less. I can't wait till someone get bit by a rat cause the stations are so dirty or someone can't get help cause the there no station agent there. There's money to stop all that has happen in last few months (lay offs,service cuts) but rather screw the workers and people that use the system.

Maybe I didn't understand what the article was trying to convey at first... sorry.

You guys need to stop about this. I'm not defending him, but if a governor wants to hire you to head the MTA, aren't you going to look for the best deal possible? I doubt you're going to say, "hey wait a minute, I really don't deserve this." If you say that, they will say "you're right. Let's look for someone else." Do you guys get upset when athletes ask for a lot of money? This is Paterson's fault for giving him this ridiculously absurd offer, and if you go further back, Eliot Spitzer's fault for screwing a hooker with public money and making Paterson his lt. Governor and then resigning. Walder is a hired hand, hired to do exactly what he's doing. It's our fault, those of us that voted for Spitzer for believing in yet another snake (aka politician) who we thought would actually do something good. I voted for Spitzer, and regret that I did, though my one vote didn't win it for him, nor me not voting for him lost it for him. I'm sure glad I never voted for Obama. At least there is no guilt there.

You made a few good points there, Crane. And really, the blame game can go even further back to Nelson A. Rockefeller for creating the (MTA) in 1965, essentially merging the present-day subsidiary authorities in order to publicly bail out several bankrupt railroads and fund mass transportation projects with toll revenue and making the authority marionette show of politically-powered puppets.

Really, the oddest part of this whole saga is that Governor Paterson, a fairly left-of-center Jackass, appointed Jay Walder, whose managerial policies are as conservative as they come. Perhaps it's the irony in the fact that both Rockefeller and Paterson share the dubious honor of extremely poor reading skills (dyslexic vs. blind) that explains why the (MTA) holds the status quo that it does.

You made a few good points there, Crane. And really, the blame game can go even further back to Nelson A. Rockefeller for creating the (MTA) in 1965, essentially merging the present-day subsidiary authorities in order to publicly bail out several bankrupt railroads and fund mass transportation projects with toll revenue and making the authority marionette show of politically-powered puppets.

Really, the oddest part of this whole saga is that Governor Paterson, a fairly left-of-center Jackass, appointed Jay Walder, whose managerial policies are as conservative as they come. Perhaps it's the irony in the fact that both Rockefeller and Paterson share the dubious honor of extremely poor reading skills (dyslexic vs. blind) that explains why the (MTA) holds the status quo that it does.

If we really wanted to go crazy, we can blame the Dutch for buying Manhattan from the Natives. It's their fault for selling because they thought they were suckering the Dutch into buying land when they felt no one could own land, or better yet, blame the Ice Age for freezing the Bering Straight. It go on and on, but I thought it was a bit peculiar too that a supposed Demorat would put in a Repubican style guy. I almost miss Peter Kalikow. At least he never laid off anyone, which he could have since the layoff clause was added in 2002.

Edited by Blatherskite

If the puppets were "politically-powered" then I'd hate to see what powerless puppets would do. They could have at least expanded the system a little more, or at least not have encouraged (and in some cases helped) the (MTA) to dig it's own fiscal grave.

By the way, I lol'ed when you mentioned how both governors were terrible readers. I wonder if Rockefeller was stupid as shit too.

If the puppets were "politically-powered" then I'd hate to see what powerless puppets would do. They could have at least expanded the system a little more, or at least not have encouraged (and in some cases helped) the (MTA) to dig it's own fiscal grave.

By the way, I lol'ed when you mentioned how both governors were terrible readers. I wonder if Rockefeller was stupid as shit too.

When you are the grandson of John D. Rockefeller, does it really matter if you have a reading problem? You can sit on your ass for the next 50 years and your trust fund will still grow. People will also vote for you when you're running for office for the simple fact that you are rich, even though you have absolutely no qualifications to be head of any government. Michael Bloomberg anyone? When this country stops lusting after money and material things to show one's "value" this country can be reborn into something great. Not going to happen though.

Edited by Blatherskite

Nelson A. Rockefeller was by no means a gem of an elected official. The widespread theory is that he was both one of the chief engineers of the 25th Amendment as well as one of, if not the top architect of the Watergate Scandal, both set up so that he could set up shop at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. He was a sworn Republican whose views were more blue than red. He ditched his wife of 31 years to marry some staff member who was nearly two decades younger than he was, only a month after she divorced the husband who gave her four kids. However, I personally feel that his greatest achievement was his fatal heart attack at the age of 70, suffered while he was in working on secret "exit polling" with a 25-year-old aide.

Apparently he confused philanthropy with philandering. :eek:

Nelson A. Rockefeller was by no means a gem of an elected official. The widespread theory is that he was both one of the chief engineers of the 25th Amendment as well as one of, if not the top architect of the Watergate Scandal, both set up so that he could set up shop at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. He was a sworn Republican whose views were more blue than red. He ditched his wife of 31 years to marry some staff member who was nearly two decades younger than he was, only a month after she divorced the husband who gave her four kids. However, I personally feel that his greatest achievement was his fatal heart attack at the age of 70, suffered while he was in working on secret "exit polling" with a 25-year-old aide.

Apparently he confused philanthropy with philandering. :eek:

You sound a bit bitter there as if he were your father and left your mother.

You sound a bit bitter there as if he were your father and left your mother.

I'm not sure if that was an insult used in order to convey your point, and I was being extremely sardonic in my post. I'm more disappointed than anything in the manner that which most, if not all elected officials have progressively lost sight of the democratic principals upon which this country was founded by skewing into the boondoggle that we call our government, resultantly skewing the purpose of democracy the U.S. Call it what you will: a kakistocracy, partocracy, oligarchy, plutocracy, cryptocracy - our elected officials no longer ask what they can do for us if elected; rather, they tell what they're going to do, a smoke and mirrors tactic employed to advance their own self-serving and corrupt agendas.

I'm not sure if that was an insult used in order to convey your point, and I was being extremely sardonic in my post. I'm more disappointed than anything in the manner that which most, if not all elected officials have progressively lost sight of the democratic principals upon which this country was founded by skewing into the boondoggle that we call our government, resultantly skewing the purpose of democracy the U.S. Call it what you will: a kakistocracy, partocracy, oligarchy, plutocracy, cryptocracy - our elected officials no longer ask what they can do for us if elected; rather, they tell what they're going to do, a smoke and mirrors tactic employed to advance their own self-serving and corrupt agendas.

I wasn't attempting to insult you. The way you were talking about him, it sounded to me as if he had hurt you personally.

I wasn't attempting to insult you. The way you were talking about him, it sounded to me as if he had hurt you personally.

No offense taken.

All politicians have personally hurt me.

What I want to know is , since it's a 1.6 million dollar pad it must be pretty big ... SO who is buying the beer when we all head over to Big Jay's place for one kick ass housewarming party :):tup:

Damn you guys are brutal, lol! I'm not defending Walder, but for a guy running this system, at least he's not being paid that much.

If he was a CEO of some major company, he'd be paid like millions if not 10s of millions of dollars.

Cuts are a terrible thing, but what can the guy do? The MTA overexpanded and differed payments on past projects leading to this hole they've dugged themselves. With the economy in the toilet, the MTA isn't getting back as much money from its properties and it's gotten a big hit from the state in terms of funding. Unless Obama were to write a blank check to wipe out the MTA's debt the only thing that can be done now is to cut back as much as possible to try to balance the budget.

Patterson maybe terrible as a governor, but he is right about how the state can no longer ignore the defecit and must start to curb spending. There's only so much that the 'future' has to pay for our current debts.

Just my 2cents.

What I want to know is , since it's a 1.6 million dollar pad it must be pretty big ... SO who is buying the beer when we all head over to Big Jay's place for one kick ass housewarming party :):tup:

Roger T. and his crew are picking up the tab.