Lights On or Off?????

Lennyj17

Since I started back to taking the Express Bus (QM21) in the PM because the Friggin Heat in the Subway is too much....

I noticed some drivers will leave the Passenger Lights on the whole trip...others will only leave the personal lights on, and some will make the bus completely dark (i Love this because I like to sleep)....

Now the X63 and 64 leave their lights on the whole trip doesn't matter the driver....So I wonder if its policy for NYCT to leave light on and MTAB doesn't have such policy.....SI express buses I notice most leave the bus lit up...

Took the BXM7 back into the city from COOP the other day and once we passed the last pickup stop it was lights out all the way til the first person wanted off in Manhattan.

So three questions for the Express bus riders

- How do you prefer the light situation be on express buses

- is there an NYCT vs MTAB policy regarding lights on or lights off.

- is you route consistent with the lights policy or does it very by driver.

I think it's policy regarding on which lights you should have on at all times. I perfer the lights to be off all the time, it's a cool effect when riding.

Hell yeah! Even on local buses they do that. I rode the S74 from the jail in Arthur Kill all the way to Tottenville...the lights were off from the time I got on, not to mention I was the only passenger on the bus. Even on the return trip back up the lights were off until the transit center, but yeah I like riding the bus with the lights off.

Hell yeah! Even on local buses they do that. I rode the S74 from the jail in Arthur Kill all the way to Tottenville...the lights were off from the time I got on, not to mention I was the only passenger on the bus. Even on the return trip back up the lights were off until the transit center, but yeah I like riding the bus with the lights off.

You may catch this now and then. I was just one last night. I got on about 6 blocks from the end of the line. When the driver pulled up, the bus was empty, and the lights were off. It was his last run before deadheading, and he was not expecting passengers. He turned them on as I was boarding, and I told him no need at all!

I actually like having all the lights (the ones between the window and the overhead racks, the personal lights, and the ones over the aisle) on because I'm always doing work and reading on the bus, plus I can sleep in just about any lighting condition.

For MTA Bus at least, it definitely varies by driver, though if you ask to turn on one of the sets of lights, the B/O usually will do it for you.

Once in a while, I get a really early morning ride when it's dark out with only the personal lights on - I think that looks really cool, like the space shuttle or something!

Trust me you want the lights on.I know for a fact on local buses there are huge problems with roaches. With express buses i don't know if that problem exist. i believe it NYCT policy for lights to remain on when a bus is in service, that includes at last stops and deadhead trips for security reasons. Now here is a scenario to chew on, what if a lady is sexual assaulted and the light were off. I believe the MTA would have a field day with that driver.

I like the lights off on buses since it has that relaxing effect. I like how most of the NJT Flxibles would have the lights off.

Around this time last year, I rode an RTS on the M4 from 110 Street with the lights off (it was accidentally turned off by the driver). When the bus got to 135 Street, a fellow b/o or a dispatcher told the driver how to turn on the lights.

I prefer lights out completely. It's so relaxing after a long day at work or whereever I come from when I decide to take the bus, the last thing I want is all that light on me on the highway. Plus, it helps me get some sleep, even if it's for 10 mins.

I understand that for security purposes, the lights should be on, at least at night. But hell, I've been through the Brooklyn-Battery on the X1 and 10 and the lights were off. It was effing awesome I tell ya!

In addition, I was on the S79 before daylight savings time and I pulled into the last stop in Brooklyn a little after 7:00. It was just about to get dark as well, yet the lights were ff for the whole ride. That said, if it's pitch dark outside, keep the lights off unless it's just you and the bus driver (if you know them). During wintertime, I've fallen asleep on a Next Gen on the S79 and I just pulled my hat over my eyes.

Since I started back to taking the Express Bus (QM21) in the PM because the Friggin Heat in the Subway is too much....

I noticed some drivers will leave the Passenger Lights on the whole trip...others will only leave the personal lights on, and some will make the bus completely dark (i Love this because I like to sleep)....

Now the X63 and 64 leave their lights on the whole trip doesn't matter the driver....So I wonder if its policy for NYCT to leave light on and MTAB doesn't have such policy.....SI express buses I notice most leave the bus lit up...

Took the BXM7 back into the city from COOP the other day and once we passed the last pickup stop it was lights out all the way til the first person wanted off in Manhattan.

So three questions for the Express bus riders

- How do you prefer the light situation be on express buses

- is there an NYCT vs MTAB policy regarding lights on or lights off.

- is you route consistent with the lights policy or does it very by driver.

its MTA policy to keep lights on at all times when in passenger service (making live trips) on deadhead trips you can turn them off...

and yes you wouldn't want the lights off ,you ride with friends that hide. turn the lights off and they come out..lolol

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I was on the B103 yesterday afternoon and the lights were off. It didn't make much of a differencs the bus was still hot inside lol

Guest Charles

During the summer, I could care less about whether the lights (reading or main) are on or off. During the winter though, when it's still dark in the morning or late at night...lol the main lights better be off so 1)I could sleep 2) the light won't interfere with looking outside and 3) the bus just looks that much cooler ;)

Archived