New York City Panel Clears Way for Mosque Near Ground Zero

lilbluefoxie

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/03/new-york-city-panel-clears-way-mosque-ground-zero/

"A New York City panel voted unanimously Tuesday to reject landmark status for a building near the World Trade Center site, paving the way for construction of a mosque and an Islamic community center.

Opponents of the project, including 9/11 first-responders and family members of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, have said the location would be insensitive."

(Read the rest here http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/03/new-york-city-panel-clears-way-mosque-ground-zero/ )

Well now it's got another obstacle in the way anyway. The people opposing are going for a law suit now.

It wont get them anywhere. The landmark preservation board isn't designed to consider what the land is suppose to be used for, but only if the location has any historical value. So they pretty much made the right decision in terms of what they were designed to do. But if they want to waste their money opposing it, then god (or whatever deity) bless them.

I don't really care if this mosque gets built or not, but why that one area in particular? Aren't there plenty of other places they could build it?

I'm not going to go overboard like the protesters are in saying that "all Islam was responisble for 9/11". But it really doesn't seem appropriate to go against the wishes of the victim's families like this. If money is not an issue, then they should look for another location.

I don't really care if this mosque gets built or not, but why that one area in particular? Aren't there plenty of other places they could build it?

I'm not going to go overboard like the protesters are in saying that "all Islam was responisble for 9/11". But it really doesn't seem appropriate to go against the wishes of the victim's families like this. If money is not an issue, then they should look for another location.

I don't have a problem with a mosque being built near ground zero.i think it'll help the muslim community.

I don't have a problem with a mosque being built near ground zero.i think it'll help the muslim community.

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever read..The fact of the matter is throughout history muslims like to put their mosques right across the way of other churches/temples because they are instigators.

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever read..The fact of the matter is throughout history muslims like to put their mosques right across the way of other churches/temples because they are instigators.

Instigate what?all they want to have is have a place to worship. nothing wrong with that.

The Muslims have NO RIGHT to build a mosque where they are free to worship their anti-everyone beliefs. In fact, they should go a step further on the global scale and shut down all of the churches in Germany because Hitler was a Christian and look how bad he turned out to be.

[/sarcasm]

[/misinformation]

The Muslims have NO RIGHT to build a mosque where they are free to worship their anti-everyone beliefs. In fact, they should go a step further on the global scale and shut down all of the churches in Germany because Hitler was a Christian and look how bad he turned out to be.

[/sarcasm]

[/misinformation]

Agreed.

No I don't blame Muslims for 9/11. There are good Muslims, but the bad Muslims do the everyday bombings and killings. Plus I don't think they should build the Mosque so close to where 3,000 people where killed. Not because I am racist, but because it is so insensitive to put the Mosque 600 ft away from ground zero. Not just that its going to be visible from Ground Zero because it's 13 stories. It sounds like they are just building it to stick a big middle finger at the people who died. Plus New Yorkers wounds haven't really healed. If you were in New York like me on that day to watch the buildings burn and fall then you would understand. Besides those were my favorite buildings I beloved them. I was born and raised in that city and I still live there as I am typing this, and I mostly always will. I was 7 years old, but I remember that day like it happened yesterday. You can't say it just happened and disappeared. Most New Yorkers I know still suffer emotional wounds even though I didn't lose anyone in those buildings I know people that do. I know in the future children and grandchildren wouldn't remember this. Some won't learn from it. There is one thing I will know those memorials would be 2 big pits in the ground as a reminder to those that want to learn and for those who remember. :D

If I ever become an architect and civil engineer double major let me rebuild those two lost buildings somewhere in New York!.

I'm not surprised that this project has lots of controversy surrounding it. We are the NATION OF DISCRIMINATION. Americans have discriminated against Irish immigrants during the Antebellum period(1830-1860), Blacks for most of it's history(1700's-1964) and now it's Muslims(2001-????) and Mexicans because of the illegal immigration debate. White Americans primarily look for any reason to bring down other races making a living in this country when most could be doing better themselves. I DONT THINK OUR FOUNDING FATHERS ARE PROUD OF THIS. Al Qeada killed nearly 3,000 people on 9/11 not Muslims. They are a terrorist organization fighting for political power. They are just using their religious values as a justification for having power. If you notice the nations they target have had superpower status at some point in history and for the U.S. it still has a lot of power. Muslims deserve to have a cultural center and worship space in Lower Manhattan and if it happens to be 600 ft away from the WTC site than so be it.

I happen to have had a Muslim girl in my global studies class sophomore year of high school. I don't know a lot about her but what I did know spoke volumes. She was a smart girl with a nice personality and looked good as well. Of course guys were not attracted to her because she did not dress revealing enough but that's the problem with our society today. People with conservative values can be just as nice and helpful in society as the average American. I'm sick of the anti-Muslim attitude that has developed in American minds these days. ALSO CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE JUST AS CONSERVATIVE AS MUSLIMS.WHERE IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS DOES IT SAY TO HAVE AS MUCH SEX AS POSSIBLE AND PUT APPERANCE ABOVE EVERYTHING? I FEEL YOUR PAIN MUSLIMS AND I HOPE YOU GET THIS PROJECT BUILT. AMERICANS SHOULD GET A LIFE INSTEAD OF RUINING THE LIVES OF MUSLIMS.

Once again we aren't racist. We believe that a Mosque so close to the site of the 9/11 attacks would be insensitive and wrong. Some New Yorkers still have emotional injuries from the day. Doing this would be pouring salt in the wound. The second reason is why would they want to build so close to the site of the World Trade Center. Isn't there many other sites in Manhattan to build a Mosque.

I'm not surprised that this project has lots of controversy surrounding it. We are the NATION OF DISCRIMINATION. Americans have discriminated against Irish immigrants during the Antebellum period(1830-1860), Blacks for most of it's history(1700's-1964) and now it's Muslims(2001-????) and Mexicans because of the illegal immigration debate. White Americans primarily look for any reason to bring down other races making a living in this country when most could be doing better themselves. I DONT THINK OUR FOUNDING FATHERS ARE PROUD OF THIS. Al Qeada killed nearly 3,000 people on 9/11 not Muslims. They are a terrorist organization fighting for political power. They are just using their religious values as a justification for having power. If you notice the nations they target have had superpower status at some point in history and for the U.S. it still has a lot of power. Muslims deserve to have a cultural center and worship space in Lower Manhattan and if it happens to be 600 ft away from the WTC site than so be it.

I happen to have had a Muslim girl in my global studies class sophomore year of high school. I don't know a lot about her but what I did know spoke volumes. She was a smart girl with a nice personality and looked good as well. Of course guys were not attracted to her because she did not dress revealing enough but that's the problem with our society today. People with conservative values can be just as nice and helpful in society as the average American. I'm sick of the anti-Muslim attitude that has developed in American minds these days. ALSO CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE JUST AS CONSERVATIVE AS MUSLIMS.WHERE IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS DOES IT SAY TO HAVE AS MUCH SEX AS POSSIBLE AND PUT APPERANCE ABOVE EVERYTHING? I FEEL YOUR PAIN MUSLIMS AND I HOPE YOU GET THIS PROJECT BUILT. AMERICANS SHOULD GET A LIFE INSTEAD OF RUINING THE LIVES OF MUSLIMS.

While I have no problem with the mosque, it's where it's going to be built that highly unsettles me. Religion has been given a really bad name in the years following the attacks and building that mosque so close to the towers' footprints will invoke some serious outrage from the victims of the families. Now, while I didn't lose any family or friends thankfully, 3,000 people is a lot, compared to the 3,000 mourning families, friends and other loved ones who are going to be red as a whistle.

That is what I was trying to get to. The insenstivity of building a Mosque so close to site of the horrific 9/11 attacks won't just be pouring salt in the wound. It would open up the wound of 9/11 even more. Causing families to be in pain. If Muslims understood then they know that many sites in Manhattan could be home to a Mosque. Just not too close to the World Trade Center.

I wonder if this would get any support on Septemeber 12, 2001? Why on earth do these f**king pussy politicians crave into pressure and build a mosque on the Ground Zero site? Have we forgotten what happened on that Tuesday morning, and how we felt afterwords? Why would they allow the building of a mosque near were our fellow Americans and New Yorkers were killed? Would these same a**hole politicans be okay with the KKK building a community center in Harlem? No! I cant stand that f**king liberal douche Bloomberg. He disgusts me as well. We build mosques, we go around the world and f**king get our troops killed, and yet we are still hated around the world.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Also, just why do people bitch and moan about building a mosque two blocks away from Ground Zero when there is ALREADY a mosque FOUR blocks away from Ground Zero which PREDATES the World Trade Center?

Archived