New York City Panel Clears Way for Mosque Near Ground Zero

lilbluefoxie

apples and oranges. this about where something is not who runs it.

actaully, now that I think about it, it's more like apples and rocks. You trying to justify something that is unjustifyable with nonsense.

Not really. This country has had a history of protesting against proposed mosques ever since 9/11, regardless of their location.

Hell, before this was even in the story, there was a proposal to convert an unwanted closing church or center into a new mosque in Staten Island. The group who proposed said mosque were accused of supporting a Muslim terrorist group (which it turns out wasn't true). They had to withdraw their plan due to the protests.

If this mosque was proposed anywhere else, it would have been protested. The only difference here is that it's near something that has historical significance.

And no, I'm not trying to justify what the Catholic church did. I'm trying to draw a level of hypocrisy here when it comes to our religious institutes.

I just found this thread, so I'm going to make my first post in it.

I still remember in history class, about minorites back then and Muslims.

Mosque back then = Muslim Victory

All 19 hijackers and terriorsts were Muslim. They killed 3000 people. 3000 INNOCENT people. And now Bloomberg wants their victory 2 blocks from the horrific scene on 9/11. :mad:

The money is "homegrown" What does that mean?

Most Mosques now are financially supported in various degrees by Saudi Arabia. 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudi Arabian.

I don't support the Mosque, and I won't ever. My friend who was a fire chief died, and my friend's dad almost died that day as well

ok im sure most people know this but, Muslims are not terrorists, the whatever group that did this are terrorists ( sorry cant think of group name ), yes i dont think a mosque should be built there but that is because of what happened, people are still hurting from the attacks and some people believe that it's all of the muslim communities fault. so that would in turn possibly hurt not only the people attending the mosque but the people around

No it is not. Don't criticize the church tell the muslims to be more peace loving instead of looking back at their past.

Tell the Muslims to be more peace loving? You're saying this like Muslims are the only ones responsible for all of the violence in the world. I'm sure that if a Catholic terrorist group was responsible for the 9/11 attacks then there would not nearly be as much controversy surrounding the building of a Catholic church two blocks away from Ground Zero today.

I just found this thread, so I'm going to make my first post in it.

I still remember in history class, about minorites back then and Muslims.

Mosque back then = Muslim Victory

All 19 hijackers and terriorsts were Muslim. They killed 3000 people. 3000 INNOCENT people. And now Bloomberg wants their victory 2 blocks from the horrific scene on 9/11. :mad:

I don't support the Mosque, and I won't ever. My friend who was a fire chief died, and my friend's dad almost died that day as well

Since when do the actions of a few fundamentalists make all the followers of a single religion just as radical? That's just like saying that cities in Japan, Vietnam, Iraq, etc. should all ban the building of churches entirely because of the actions of a few US government heads that led to the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

And also, just because mosques back then equated to Muslim victory, doesn't mean it has the same meaning now.

now it is a place of warship, like do people think muslims aren't shocked by what happened im sure Muslim families in WTC towers lost their lives to, im still opposed to the mosque being built but ONLY because i will possibly harm the people attending and around NOT because of what happened on 9/11. you don't just have to be white to be saddened by what happened

now it is a place of warship, like do people think muslims aren't shocked by what happened im sure Muslim families in WTC towers lost their lives to, im still opposed to the mosque being built but ONLY because i will possibly harm the people attending and around NOT because of what happened on 9/11. you don't just have to be white to be saddened by what happened

The problem is that deciding to not build a mosque near ground zero would require COMMON SENSE...something no one has anymore.

Yes, it's legal, yes muslims can go whatever they want and it's fine, and no, not all muslims are terrorist

but you DON'T put a mosque there. That would be every bit as stupid as renaming 2 streets in a mostly black neighborhood "Honus Wagner avenue" and "Ty Cobb boulevard" you just don't f**king do it.

not because it's illegal just because it's plain damn dumb.

It's not "wtc mosque" it's 2 blocks away from any part of WTC, who gives a damn, jeebus crispness such a bug huff over a damn building.... How about focus on finishing WTC, because that actually matters.

- A

A new Time Magazine poll out today:

61% Say the mosque should not be built.

44% Say it is an insult to 9/11 victims.

23% Say the mosque will represent "religious tolerance."

The problem is that deciding to not build a mosque near ground zero would require COMMON SENSE...something no one has anymore.

Yes, it's legal, yes muslims can go whatever they want and it's fine, and no, not all muslims are terrorist

but you DON'T put a mosque there. That would be every bit as stupid as renaming 2 streets in a mostly black neighborhood "Honus Wagner avenue" and "Ty Cobb boulevard" you just don't f**king do it.

not because it's illegal just because it's plain damn dumb.

It's not "wtc mosque" it's 2 blocks away from any part of WTC, who gives a damn, jeebus crispness such a bug huff over a damn building.... How about focus on finishing WTC, because that actually matters.

- A

I have to agree with both of you here 100%. Although I think it is a very sensitive issue to build it so close to the WTC, there is really nothing anyone can do about it. So rather than making the situation worse, we all need to just get over it. Sure, the vast majority of us would rather the location be a little farther away from where it is planned. But what is it getting us to get mad over it? What is it changing? Absolutely nothing!

Politicians have absolutely no right to even try and get in the middle of this like they are now. The word "Constitution" should be the period at the end of this discussion.

My favorite part of this whole debate is that people are acting like it is such a big deal right now, but a week after the thing opens no one is going to care anymore.

Oh, and the fact that the majority of the people who are bitching about the mosque live hundreds, even THOUSANDS of miles away from Ground Zero yet still act like it affects their lives in any way.

My favorite part of this whole debate is that people are acting like it is such a big deal right now, but a week after the thing opens no one is going to care anymore.

Oh, and the fact that the majority of the people who are bitching about the mosque live hundreds, even THOUSANDS of miles away from Ground Zero yet still act like it affects their lives in any way.

And some of them being the same ones who wouldn't visit NY because of movies and tv shows they've seen about the Bronx/Brooklyn or Manhattan. I live a few blocks from the trade center site and I don't care. I think I'll grab some popcorn and watch the riots though.

Archived