Rider Catches MTA Booth Worker Snoozing On The Job

Management and the public are so quick to reprimand others when everybody one time or others themselves have taken a power nap or snooze behind close doors or otherwise.

But isn't the main excuse for not getting rid of station agents that they are also there to help protect the customers by being the "eyes and ears" of the station and to ;) "prevent terrorism?"

Defending this station agent's actions with "well, other workers do it" is contradictory to the argument that agents are actually needed in the system at all. If the agents are as important to the security of the system as we are insisting, the way NOT to enforce this ideal to management and the public would be to: A) fall asleep on the job and :P defend someone that fell asleep on the job.

Best thing that could happen is that the TWU announces that the Station Agent has put in his papers, says that he isn't physically able to do the work anymore because the job and safety of the system is way too important to risk falling asleep on.

That's how this should be spun, not blindly "having his back", blaming the photographer, or making up silly excuses for him like "he was counting money" or "terror attacks only happen during the day, anyway."

You have a WIDE OPEN entry area in prime terrorist 42nd street area that MTA and Mr. Walder have decided to take Station Agent out and leave no one to monitor it and "Mr. Son of Spam" wanted to fire a booth clerk which has a 28 years clean record on the job because he perhaps had a tough night?? How would MTA and you explain the WIDE OPEN area in Time SQUARE??

You seem to misunderstand. I want no station agent fired, and I didn't say anything like that in my post. I'm actually a little offended at the flawed inference.

I'm saying that TWU is in a tough spot here from a PR standpoint when on one hand they say station agents have an extremely important job keeping the riding public safe, then at the same time they say that they blindly "have his back" and make up lame excuses for him. If the position is as critical to safety as we are saying, there should be NO EXCUSES for sleeping on the job, especially one as lame as "he was having a tough night."

If TWU leadership came out and said that he's putting in his papers because the job is too important to be sleeping on, they would be proving to the world that they're serious about the importance of this position (and therefore the safety of the public) and it would go a long way in the fight to get station agents back where they belong.

The needs of the many far outweigh the needs of a few, or in this case, a drowsy few.

But isn't the main excuse for not getting rid of station agents that they are also there to help protect the customers by being the "eyes and ears" of the station and to ;) "prevent terrorism?"

Defending this station agent's actions with "well, other workers do it" is contradictory to the argument that agents are actually needed in the system at all. If the agents are as important to the security of the system as we are insisting, the way NOT to enforce this ideal to management and the public would be to: A) fall asleep on the job and :P defend someone that fell asleep on the job.

Best thing that could happen is that the TWU announces that the Station Agent has put in his papers, says that he isn't physically able to do the work anymore because the job and safety of the system is way too important to risk falling asleep on.

That's how this should be spun, not blindly "having his back", blaming the photographer, or making up silly excuses for him like "he was counting money" or "terror attacks only happen during the day, anyway."

cant argue with this................

lets just say the guy got a stiff enough punishment for his actions and we'll leav it at that.............

No they do not have to. They dont owe anybody any explanations regarding this.

Of course they don't have to. And they probably won't. But man, oh, man, what a missed opportunity to turn a negative perception about transit workers (i.e. that they're lazy/sleepy) into something positive about them and the union that represents them (i.e. we're serious about our roles in keeping the public safe and not just using it as a bargaining chip to keep jobs).

A little public support goes a long way. We can certainly use as much as we get these days.

Of course they don't have to. And they probably won't. But man, oh, man, what a missed opportunity to turn a negative perception about transit workers (i.e. that they're lazy/sleepy) into something positive about them and the union that represents them (i.e. we're serious about our roles in keeping the public safe and not just using it as a bargaining chip to keep jobs).

A little public support goes a long way. We can certainly use as much as we get these days.

They are doing what any Union would defending their members.

Now that being said im sure hes been asked whats the deal and whats going on behind the lines.

Which is none of the publics business regarding that.

They are doing what any Union would defending their members.

Now that being said im sure hes been asked whats the deal and whats going on behind the lines.

Which is none of the publics business regarding that.

Which is exactly why we're always on the losing end in the battle of public perception, and, consequently, why people are so pissed off at us and take pictures of us sleeping and send them to the Post.

Talk about a vicious circle. It's got to be broken.

I, for one, am tired of being asked what size pillow I bring to work. :(

As if cops and what not don't do the same thing, only their version of it. Many public jobs are under scrutiny now because we haven't taken the hit the private sector has. The people in the private sector dislike how public sector jobs that were vastly inferior 30 years ago are now close to or are better than private sector jobs.

• 4 weeks later...
i saw a woman snap a picture on her phone of an empty SA booth (the SA stepped out to take a comfort apparently because she returned a couple minutes later) to justify jumping the turnstile. the booth was unattended for not even two minutes before someone snapped a picture and this was late at night. right or wrong... THIS is the world we live in now.

Station Agents are allowed to leave the booth for a "comfort relief" of no more than 10 minutes if they CALL for PERMISSION FIRST!

I would never accept $10.00 per hour for a job where I am responsible for thousands of dollars. If any goes missing or there is an error, who will they look to accuse? The $10.00 per hour worker they think is disgruntled because he makes too little. There's also the chance of someone sneaking up to you at gunpoint to to rob the booth when you step out, and a bunch of other crap that could go wrong.

When there were tokens, some booths had 10's of thousands of dollars in them, and sadly, no protection.

However, if you felt unsafe, call for the police first.

I don't know all of the facts but I'd laugh like hell if they find out that this guy was working a forced double (16 hours) 'cause there was a shortage of S/As due to the layoffs. Sleeping on the job is certainly against the rules and I can't condone it.....but what if?

THere are enough people looking for overtime to make that highly unlikely.

THere are enough people looking for overtime to make that highly unlikely.

Don't believe everything you hear about NYCT. I do know that my C/R booked off for 2 days a few weeks ago and my train and I never left the yard. Not everybody is money hungry down here so the crew office couldn't find takers. Obviously a S/A is in a different position as he/she can't leave the booth until a relief shows up.

Archived