Safety Point's in Train fanning

TransitStop

well recently i have been getting into train's and i have decided to get some video's/photos of VIA Rail Canada and i would like to everything in terms of safety before i go out ( just to be on the safe side ) so your input would be greatly appreciated! and when i do get these pics you will be the first to see!

Generally, the most important thing is to stay out of the gauge.

Not just the track gauge but also the loading gauge of the train. Getting clipped, while better than being run over, is still not a good experience.

Also stay out of restricted areas unless you have proper clearance to be in there.

so the grass beside a street would that be considered Restricted? it's next to a fairly busy road

Any area that has a DO NOT ENTER sign is restricted. In general, any area that the public is not supposed to see/be in is restricted. The side of a street is not restricted.

so the grass beside a street would that be considered Restricted? it's next to a fairly busy road

No, that's fine. But any railroad property that's not open to the public (ie yards, employee only walkways alongside the tracks, restricted areas of station houses, and any railroad right of way) would be considered off limits.

Public spaces such as greens and roads are OK, however just be mindful of where you are and use common sense. If you're on a highway it's not a good idea to make a complete stop to get a photo.

Archived