Do u think there should be a Massive Strike against The MTA LayOffs..

xZxNYC

Yeah do you know the strike that happen several years back. They had to pay everyday they weren't at work and breaking the law. A million dollars a day. You know they strike for 3 days and they only had 3 million dollars. Also it is truly stupid to protest because of a boss. He could be a jerk but he's paying you and allowing you to work in this economic downturn so how stupid is that. Besides how stupid is it to have a strike you can't get anywhere within the city easily. Unless you think its ultra cool to see a major strike then I suggest not wishing for one.

Walder's a dick and a shitheaded incompetent leader who should be fired the day a governor who can see the writing on the wall enters office.

But the union shouldn't strike because it will only hurt their cause with the riding public further, they will face fines and penalties, and they will lose "dues checkoff" which means the union will be weakened as a result of the greater difficulty it will have collecting dues (which already happened after the 2005 strike). The union should explore every legal avenue, and hold the line on certain things during the next negotiation. Giving up the no layoff clause was a MASSIVE mistake by Toussaint for a short sighted raise.

I think Mr. Walder is totally wrong in laying off workers. Its not even to save money in my opinion but to get concessions from the Union. They claim to save 11 millions from laying off 266 S/A, however they go and spend close to the same amount installing cameras and using stimulus money to fund other projects instead of saving jobs which NYC and the economy needs. This is a bully tactics and should not be tolerated by union members. There should be more than enough savings simply through attrition alone, but they chose to lay off workers to intimidate and force concessions from the Union. They will never give up the layoff clause if there is no strike, and they will then use the same tactic the next time around and we will all be helpless yet again to do something about it. Having solidarity and fighting against management bullying is what having and being in a union is all about. Striking to save jobs, against unreasonable layoffs and bad managent practice are good reason to fight and stand behind, otherwise vote to eliminate union all together.

I think Mr. Walder is totally wrong in laying off workers. Its not even to save money in my opinion but to get concessions from the Union. They claim to save 11 millions from laying off 266 S/A, however they go and spend close to the same amount installing cameras and using stimulus money to fund other projects instead of saving jobs which NYC and the economy needs. This is a bully tactics and should not be tolerated by union members. There should be more than enough savings simply through attrition alone, but they chose to lay off workers to intimidate and force concessions from the Union. They will never give up the layoff clause if there is no strike, and they will then use the same tactic the next time around and we will all be helpless yet again to do something about it. Having solidarity and fighting against management bullying is what having and being in a union is all about. Striking to save jobs, against unreasonable layoffs and bad managent practice are good reason to fight and stand behind, otherwise vote to eliminate union all together.

I AGREE im all for a strike.... this s@#$ has to change for now and the future... we need job protection..etc

Walder's a dick and a shitheaded incompetent leader who should be fired the day a governor who can see the writing on the wall enters office.

But the union shouldn't strike because it will only hurt their cause with the riding public further, they will face fines and penalties, and they will lose "dues checkoff" which means the union will be weakened as a result of the greater difficulty it will have collecting dues (which already happened after the 2005 strike). The union should explore every legal avenue, and hold the line on certain things during the next negotiation. Giving up the no layoff clause was a MASSIVE mistake by Toussaint for a short sighted raise.

How could they possibly be weakened when they were never strong, nor together to begin with?

How could they possibly be weakened when they were never strong, nor together to begin with?

Back in the days of Michael Quill the union was at its strongest and even after held its strength for a while but now it's just like all the other unions in the country. None of them have any pull anymore. Soon it will be a return to gilded age working conditions - long hours, low pay, and if you don't like it, you get shitcanned and someone more desperate than you is willing to work more for less.

I wouldn't mind school starting 2 hours later like in 2005. :)

In all seriousness I think that a strike would be horrible, and the union needs to realize that there just isn't enough money to go around to everyone. The MTA is broke.

I wouldn't mind school starting 2 hours later like in 2005. :)

In all seriousness I think that a strike would be horrible, and the union needs to realize that there just isn't enough money to go around to everyone. The MTA is broke.

The (MTA) is broke ? I've heard that one before and it was grade A BS. Take a moment to re-read your post. The implication is that the (MTA) is broke but somehow it's Local 100's fault and the union should take steps to remedy the problem. WTF, am I missing something ? Was something deleted in the post? The (MTA) and the politicians created this mess, not the union. But you think the union caused this mess. God hekp us all. The brainwashing has started.

It would only work in combination with (NJT), PATH and some private bus lines, maybe even :septa:.

Transit has been the punching bag for budget cuts far too long, there needs to be a stand.

As a regular monthly pass holder for NJT since last december and a regular rider on PATH for several years i would support a strike with considerable lead time and warning for customers, the strike lasting no more than 4 days to minimize disruption for people with urgent travel needs.

- A

The (MTA) is broke ? I've heard that one before and it was grade A BS. Take a moment to re-read your post. The implication is that the (MTA) is broke but somehow it's Local 100's fault and the union should take steps to remedy the problem. WTF, am I missing something ? Was something deleted in the post? The (MTA) and the politicians created this mess, not the union. But you think the union caused this mess. God hekp us all. The brainwashing has started.

The brainwashing is nearly complete. Look who gets blamed every time someone runs out of money - the workers, the ones who create the little bit of income that prevents the entity from being totally bankrupt.

US automakers focused on outsized SUV's, it was the worker's fault.

MTA wasted money on big bonuses, overgrown management structure, contractor overruns, and expensive/pointless forays into new technologies that aren't feasible - it was the worker's fault.

Workers don't make those decisions, but the public still blames them for it. Maybe that means I should blame the staff level analysts and human resources the next time the stock market shits the bed. Start handing out flyers and picketing the offices of Goldman Sachs and all those douchebag corps begging for the worker bees to get laid off.

Also it is truly stupid to protest because of a boss. He could be a jerk but he's paying you and allowing you to work in this economic downturn so how stupid is that.

Coming from someone who's never held down a full-time job in his entire life.

A strike would only stand to make the suituation worse. Would you like to be responcible for starting a riot?

Was there rioting in 2005?;)

Be easy on the Kid its apparent he dont know any better...

Do you have a job?

Yeah RTO didn't you forget what a nice guy Walder is? After all he doesn't have to hire anyone or create jobs, but he's doing just that, so everyone should just be grateful they have a job and take whatever crappy conditions Walder gives them because he's just the nice guy in the executive suite who makes more than everyone else for being so friendly and kind!

Boy, some of the posts on this board...it's amazing how a bunch of teenagers who don't even have jobs have learned to drink the Kool Aid already. Can't wait to see what happens when it's their own working conditions and wages at stake, which it's apparent it will be since they don't think for themselves I doubt they'll be in charge...

Boy, some of the posts on this board...it's amazing how a bunch of teenagers who don't even have jobs have learned to drink the Kool Aid already. Can't wait to see what happens when it's their own working conditions and wages at stake, which it's apparent it will be since they don't think for themselves I doubt they'll be in charge...

By the time some of these "teenagers" get out in the real world with whatever education they may have they are going to be in for a shock.

I hope they arent holding out waiting for a RTO job....

Archived