Do u think there should be a Massive Strike against The MTA LayOffs..

xZxNYC

i personally think there should be anotther strike(although some people will disagree; i respect their opinion)........not more so for wages, but just for the respect factor........its amazing how this guy jay walder(who has a spotty background, ruined the london system) comes in here and blames the front line empolyees for everything..........

the union has some fault in it too, but to say they caused this mess of ta being broke; you have to be kidding.........i can name a host of things, but i wont bore y'all.....lol

as for prasier saying the union is weak, he isnt kidding.........they really have no leverage at this point(not this adminstrations fault), and that will be shown during contract time.......

I'll take your failure to answer any of the questions I asked and your deflection of the points I made to mean that you don't really have a counter to what I said.

As far as the multiple unions goes, no I didn't realize there were multiple unions. I was using union as an umbrella term. I will need to do some further research into that issue.

The only "question" i seen is the one you asked about the T/O's retirement age along with the pension costs.

I answered what i could about that.

Now tell me what other questions you are talking about?

Do get too full of yourself now.

You really havent made much of a point here.

As far as the multiple unions goes, no I didn't realize there were multiple unions. I was using union as an umbrella term. I will need to do some further research into that issue.

Get back to me when you do for somebody who talks a good game...

Instead of just criticizing, I would love to hear what you would have done differently in Mr. Walder's shoes. This is clearly a sensitive subject for everyone and is by no means an easy one to navigate. Frankly, the issues are beyond me, so I will refrain from commenting and just read. I think the fact that he has not abandoned the future plans of the system is to be commended. It would have been much easier for him to just sacrifice the long term stability of the MTA to create a short term fix. That would have just delayed the issues and probably made them an issue for someone else.

if i were walder i would do the following:

-stop all work on the second ave line, get costs in check with the fulton st project

-eliminate a lot of management positions before thinking about any front line employees

-offer buyouts to eligible people who can retire

as for the penion thing, listen most people dont come to work for the city for money; they come for benefits and job security......private sector was always an industry where you got paid more money...........

The only "question" i seen is the one you asked about the T/O's retirement age along with the pension costs.

I answered what i could about that.

Now tell me what other questions you are talking about?

Do get too full of yourself now.

You really havent made much of a point here.

Get back to me when you do for somebody who talks a good game...

Typical anti union BS. He is defending finance for gambling...I mean playing the stock market, yet people who actually do what they are supposed to vs. the crooks who steal other people's money legally are "overpaid" in his eyes and can be replaced with a computer.

Meanwhile if anyone can be replaced with a computer, it's the finance industry. Type in "flash trading" in google if you don't get what I mean.

As for what he said of me, yet another one who makes assumptions about other posters based on nothing...

Clearly your conjecture trumps mine. I guess we should not even entertain conversations about how to improve since all you are interested in is complaining about your cushy position.

Ah, when unable to prove points in the argument, attack the other poster. I see how it is.

My post is not conjecture, yours is. I am basing my argument off previous efforts at new technology which date back as far as the 1970's. Literally every single time it has required expensive new personnel to maintain the technology, and has frequently required rebuilds and cost overruns to correct defects in the technology as delivered.

Some examples:

-R44 and R46 P-wire braking

-R46 lightweight truck design

-R142 radial truck design

-Automated Train Supervision (ATS) system in the A Division

-Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and Automated Train Operation (ATO) on the (L) line which is now out of date with what future CBTC/ATO packages would be. Meaning a new system can't "speak" to the (L) line system.

-FINDs

There are plenty of others...need I go on?

Ah, when unable to prove points in the argument, attack the other poster. I see how it is.

My post is not conjecture, yours is. I am basing my argument off previous efforts at new technology which date back as far as the 1970's. Literally every single time it has required expensive new personnel to maintain the technology, and has frequently required rebuilds and cost overruns to correct defects in the technology as delivered.

Some examples:

-R44 and R46 P-wire braking

-R46 lightweight truck design

-R142 radial truck design

-Automated Train Supervision (ATS) system in the A Division

-Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and Automated Train Operation (ATO) on the (L) line which is now out of date with what future CBTC/ATO packages would be. Meaning a new system can't "speak" to the (L) line system.

-FINDs

There are plenty of others...need I go on?

Maybe he needs to "do more research" into it...

Typical anti union BS. He is defending finance for gambling...I mean playing the stock market, yet people who actually do what they are supposed to vs. the crooks who steal other people's money legally are "overpaid" in his eyes and can be replaced with a computer.

Meanwhile if anyone can be replaced with a computer, it's the finance industry. Type in "flash trading" in google if you don't get what I mean.

As for what he said of me, yet another one who makes assumptions about other posters based on nothing...

People like him make me laugh sometimes..

200 station agents will be lay off tomorrow. Did Mr. Waldo have any remorse and compassion or even money savings as he claim when he lay off those workers?? TWU union had agreed to give MTA 34 millions to stop the lay off of station agents which Mr. Waldo claim to have save by laying off the station agents which Mr. Waldo didn't agree too. Tell Waldo to get his head out of the sand. Layoff is wrong as a mean of intimidation. Say NO to layoffs, unman station entrances, and crimes.

200 station agents will be lay off tomorrow. Did Mr. Waldo have any remorse and compassion or even money savings as he claim when he lay off those workers?? TWU union had agreed to give MTA 34 millions to stop the lay off of station agents which Mr. Waldo claim to have save by laying off the station agents which Mr. Waldo didn't agree too. Tell Waldo to get his head out of the sand. Layoff is wrong as a mean of intimidation. Say NO to layoffs, unman station entrances, and crimes.

i'm sure he's feeling remorse from his villa in the south of france where he is on vacation for 3 weeks. he could careless. he will f**k up service till his numbers look like what he has planned in that bulb head of his.

I do not think it would be a good idea for the unions to strike. I'm not saying they don't have grievances but look at the current situation. many signs show us to be heading back into recession, we may be in another 1930's style depression. We have huge unfunded liabilities in the government such as the staggering debt held by Fannie Mae, the deficit, Social Security and Medicare, and so on, so we are in bad shape as a country. By the way everybody jumps on Wall Street for playing the market and so on, remember most of the people "playing the market" are ordinary Americans holding 401K or 403(B) plans including Union members. Yes there were some abuses such as the credit default swaps and the big bonuses but these are small potatoes compared to the other issues. If there is anyone to get mad at it is the politicians that promoted cheap housing by encouraging Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to securitize mortgages and pressure banks to loan to people that couldn't afford the houses they were buying, thus creating the housing bubble and subsequent collapse.

So everyone is going to be hurting for awhile and if the unions strike they will not have public opinion on their side. That is just my opinion. I can understand the grievances, my wife belongs to a union (UFCW) and I see the same us vs. them mentality that management seems to get into. But this is not the time.

giving back? ha! someone who makes six figures and is entiled to a raise, shouldn't be telling Walder to take a pay cut.

Which Hourly Worker(Not supervsion) makes Six Figures on a consistent basis in NYCT?? Show me numbers...

Cops and fire can't walk off, but you morons can? not how it works and you know it. You want to be taken seriously, you want to be apreicated? lose the jreka$$ness and try to find a little more patience in the day to day. Don't give the devil the time of day. don't let you're emotions get in way.

You Idiot where did he say he works for NYCT?

Who are you calling morons?

You are in College right? Thats sad, no thats pathetic.

giving back? ha! someone who makes six figures and is entiled to a raise, shouldn't be telling Walder to take a pay cut.

Don't know who you're talking about but hourlies sure as hell don't make six figures. In fact, most supervision doesn't touch six figures either. Some superintendents get six figures, but not all. In fact if you're looking for a rough "guideline" of how much titles make in thousands, conductors make 55-65, train operators make 65-75, TSS's make 65-85, and super's make 90-100. But Walder makes much more than any other transit head in the US, and he makes 472 plus a 60 housing stipend and contributions to his retirement so he should take a pay cut.

Walder's responicbilty is to the state and the board long before it's to any one else.

Funny. The board hates the guy. So does the president of subways. He must be doing a great job.

All that another strike will do is push the TWU further into "public enemy" status. There wasn't a riot last time, but with the country the way it is, one pissed off moron who has to suffer becuase you're not happy is all it takes.

One person does not a riot make. You greatly overestimate the impact of dissolution here. People may be disenfranchised but that doesn't mean they're going to take matters into their own hands as a group. They think they can bounce back from anything, or that they'll do better than the other guy, so that keeps them sane. Instead of rioting, they'll just go to online message boards and make crazy rants but they won't jeopardize their own futures and risk jail time because the trains stop running for a few days.

Remember, transit is a Civil Service job. they are Civil Servents. You take a job that, by it's nature, requires you to deal with the public, to provide for the needs of the public.

Yes, needs of the service, however they have a right to expect fair compensation when literally every other city union has gotten large raises the past few years. Being a civil servant does not mean that you work for nothing or that you must give back whenever the city and state say so, it just means you are paid by the taxpayers to work for the taxpayers.

Cops and fire can't walk off, but you morons can? not how it works and you know it. You want to be taken seriously, you want to be apreicated? lose the jreka$$ness and try to find a little more patience in the day to day. Don't give the devil the time of day. don't let you're emotions get in way.

Ah yes another bombastic know it all in here. 1) I never said I work for transit. 2) If cops and fire walk off the job, people DIE. How many people die if the trains stop running? Also I never said I promoted a strike. Show me where I did. All I said is that it is WRONG that transit is not allowed to strike, and that this time they should not strike because they will lose public opinion forever if they do. How is that me promoting a strike???

And there's no emotion here. You're the one ranting and raving.

Ah yes another bombastic know it all in here. 1) I never said I work for transit. 2) If cops and fire walk off the job, people DIE. How many people die if the trains stop running? Also I never said I promoted a strike. Show me where I did. All I said is that it is WRONG that transit is not allowed to strike, and that this time they should not strike because they will lose public opinion forever if they do. How is that me promoting a strike???

I feel your pain there subwayguy. How many times have some of these "smart" guys gotten angry with me over something I never said? You can't cure stupid. Don't even waste your time responding anymore. I stopped responding to these fools recently and it's less headaches.

Someone is dancing for layoffs, dancing for hurt and pain, dancing for family hunger and destruction, which is filling them with delight inside. A creature with with horns and hoofs, tell your boss MTA and Mr. Waldo to stop their destructions, take the bankers instead...take them down with you to party and dance...deep deep down the the fiery land.

Walder's responsibility is really to the bondholders, not the State of NY or the MTA board. That's who determines the fare and service cuts in the long run. If the state and city abdicate their financial resposibilities to the (MTA) nothing else matters 'cause, by law, the bondholders must be paid. Period. The (MTA) and it's board can only cut service, layoff, whatever based on their financial picture so they can pay the bondholders first and foremost.Your local political hacks who've cut the (MTA)'s funding are the ones responsible for the service cuts and layoffs. Not Local 100 or "Uncle Fester". In the long run both are dancing to the banker's tune. While I don't like " Uncle Fester" and his ilk I realize that he was brought in to be the hatchet man and take the blame for the cuts. He's being generously compensated to face the public's and the union's ire. In the end the metro area will end up with less, but costlier, service and he'll move on. The transportation unions under the (MTA) umbrella will have their wings cut somewhat but they will survive. It's the public I worry about because they get gamed every time by the same hacks they keep re-electing. Wake up ,voters, before even more cuts come down the line.

Walder's responsibility is really to the bondholders, not the State of NY or the MTA board. That's who determines the fare and service cuts in the long run. If the state and city abdicate their financial resposibilities to the (MTA) nothing else matters 'cause, by law, the bondholders must be paid. Period. The (MTA) and it's board can only cut service, layoff, whatever based on their financial picture so they can pay the bondholders first and foremost.Your local political hacks who've cut the (MTA)'s funding are the ones responsible for the service cuts and layoffs. Not Local 100 or "Uncle Fester". In the long run both are dancing to the banker's tune. While I don't like " Uncle Fester" and his ilk I realize that he was brought in to be the hatchet man and take the blame for the cuts. He's being generously compensated to face the public's and the union's ire. In the end the metro area will end up with less, but costlier, service and he'll move on. The transportation unions under the (MTA) umbrella will have their wings cut somewhat but they will survive. It's the public I worry about because they get gamed every time by the same hacks they keep re-electing. Wake up ,voters, before even more cuts come down the line.

Can you really feel all that bad for the public if they continue re-electing the slime they complain about?

Don't know who you're talking about but hourlies sure as hell don't make six figures. In fact, most supervision doesn't touch six figures either. Some superintendents get six figures, but not all. In fact if you're looking for a rough "guideline" of how much titles make in thousands, conductors make 55-65, train operators make 65-75, TSS's make 65-85, and super's make 90-100. But Walder makes much more than any other transit head in the US, and he makes 472 plus a 60 housing stipend and contributions to his retirement so he should take a pay cut.

Funny. The board hates the guy. So does the president of subways. He must be doing a great job.

One person does not a riot make. You greatly overestimate the impact of dissolution here. People may be disenfranchised but that doesn't mean they're going to take matters into their own hands as a group. They think they can bounce back from anything, or that they'll do better than the other guy, so that keeps them sane. Instead of rioting, they'll just go to online message boards and make crazy rants but they won't jeopardize their own futures and risk jail time because the trains stop running for a few days.

Yes, needs of the service, however they have a right to expect fair compensation when literally every other city union has gotten large raises the past few years. Being a civil servant does not mean that you work for nothing or that you must give back whenever the city and state say so, it just means you are paid by the taxpayers to work for the taxpayers.

Another good response to ignorance Subway Guy...

If That poster is what the college system is turing out this country is in trouble...

Waits for the next illogical rant...

It's the public I worry about because they get gamed every time by the same hacks they keep re-electing. Wake up ,voters, before even more cuts come down the line.

Not for nothing Trainmaster but i cant feel sorry for people who keep putting the same Idiots in Positions of power...

If they havent learned thier lesson they never will...

Not for nothing Trainmaster but i cant feel sorry for people who keep putting the same Idiots in Positions of power...

If they havent learned thier lesson they never will...

Maybe when the (Mx) Metro-Broadway, Myrtle and (R) 95th St-59th St all times except rush hours type cuts are announced they'll wake up. These bean counters running the subway system only focus on the CBD and rush hour service. Mid-day and overnights are an afterthought to them. I can see them floating a trial balloon like the above out there to scare the politicians and the public. Either that or a base fare of $4.00 or more. Either the hacks are going to come up with the money or the public takes it up the "Hershey Highway". So far the (MTA) has the law on it's side. The bondholders must be paid no matter what. That's the scary part.

Maybe when the (Mx) Metro-Broadway, Myrtle and (R) 95th St-59th St all times except rush hours type cuts are announced they'll wake up. These bean counters running the subway system only focus on the CBD and rush hour service. Mid-day and overnights are an afterthought to them. I can see them floating a trial balloon like the above out there to scare the politicians and the public. Either that or a base fare of $4.00 or more. Either the hacks are going to come up with the money or the public takes it up the "Hershey Highway". So far the (MTA) has the law on it's side. The bondholders must be paid no matter what. That's the scary part.

Bean counters and suits are the enemy of all progress. Sadly that is who runs things in our country now. The suits demand cost cutting, the bean counters come up with idiotic recommendations, and the suits think they are great ideas and do them. Then the suits give themselves and the bean counters a raise for their "brilliance" and that necessitates more cuts. And so it goes.

Archived