The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Agreed on the GPE variant....kinda pointless. The experience is pretty much the same, minus the motorola apps.

I basically got it because I was astounded by the quality of the Moto X and that T-Mobile didn't have anything notable for me to upgrade to after 4 years. As much as I appreciate the Galaxy lineup, they're overrated as hell. The G doesn't fall too far off from the X in terms of quality. Plus the flip cases are freakin' awesome.

If the X+1 doesn't hit T-Mobile, I might upgrade to the HTC One M8 or the LG G3.

I can totally agree with you on Samsung they are becoming another Apple their lineup of phones are extremely overhpyed. I chose the Nexus 4 because I looked into it and of course I didn't feel like spending an arm and a leg on good phone. So I came across this phone I knew this was the phone for me. I saw it had the latest Version of Android, snappy quad core S4 Pro,768p screen. And all of that for $300 the phone even made the iPod touch look like a joke. And that resulted in Mr becoming an a Android fan :) Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can totally agree with you on Samsung they are becoming another Apple their lineup of phones are extremely overhpyed. I chose the Nexus 4 because I looked into it and of course I didn't feel like spending an arm and a leg on good phone. So I came across this phone I knew this was the phone for me. I saw it had the latest Version of Android, snappy quad core S4 Pro,768p screen. And all of that for $300 the phone even made the iPod touch look like a joke. And that resulted in Mr becoming an a Android fan :)

Never liked Samsung... Always thought they were overhyped, and the build quality of the phones feels flimsy.  I have big hands, so I need something that fits nicely in them, and so far the HTC phones that I've bought have great grip and feel.  No need to cover them up either as they are great looking phones.  I don't care about dropping them since I upgrade fairly regularly.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Never liked Samsung... Always thought they were overhyped, and the build quality of the phones feels flimsy.  I have big hands, so I need something that fits nicely in them, and so far the HTC phones that I've bought have great grip and feel.  No need to cover them up either as they are great looking phones.  I don't care about dropping them since I upgrade fairly regularly.

That's because almost 95% of their lineup is nothing but plastic. The only series in their lineup that actually feels sturdy are the Galaxy Note series.

• 1 month later...

At its special media event today, Apple announced the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. Apple is touting a "Retina HD Display" on both phones, as the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 features a 1334 x 750 display at 326 pixels-per-inch while the iPhone 6 Plus features a 1920 x 1080 display at 401 ppi. The iPhone 6 is said to have more than 1 million pixels, while the iPhone 6 Plus is said to have 2 million pixels. 

iphone_6_iphone_6_plus.pngThe new models feature a number of hardware changes, including a chassis that is 6.9 mm thin for the iPhone 6 and 7.1 mm for the iPhone 6 Plus. Both models feature the next-generation 64-bit A8 chip, which features 2 billion transistors on a 20nm processor. The A8 delivers 25% faster CPU performance and is 13% smaller and 50% more energy efficient when compared to the A7. The device also comes with a next-generation M8 motion coprocessor which can now estimate distance and elevation changes with a new barometer. “iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are the biggest advancements in iPhone history,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The iPhone is the most loved smartphone in the world with the highest customer satisfaction in the industry and we are making it much better in every way. Only Apple can combine the best hardware, software and services at this unprecedented level and we think customers are going to love it.”

Apple states that the iPhone 6 will get 50 hours of battery life for audio, 11 hours for video, 11 hours for WiFi browsing and 10 hours for LTE browsing. With its even bigger body, the iPhone 6 Plus will get 80 hours of battery life for audio, 14 hours for video, and 12 hours for Wi-Fi and LTE browsing. The iPhone 6 now also includes Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) technology, including 20 LTE band, as well as 802.11ac Wi-Fi, which delivers 3x faster Wi-Fi and support for Wi-Fi calling. 

iphone_6_camera.png

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus also support a new camera system with a brand-new 8-megapixel sensor, along with a circular true tone flash. Apple is also touting "Focus Pixel" technology, which allows the lens to move in and out to better determine autofocus points. The camera also features next-gen tone mapping and noise reduction. Apple also says the camera is complimented by a new gyroscope and image stabilization built into the A8 processor. Exclusive to the iPhone 6 Plus is an optical image stabilization system. 

As for video capabilities, both devices shoot in 1080p at 30fps and 60fps, along with 240fps slo-mo video, which is up from 120fps on the iPhone 5s. The front-facing FaceTime HD camera has also received a new sensor with a f2.2 aperture that lets in 81% more light. Users can also shoot single-shot HDR photos and take HDR video. 

iphone_6_prices.png

Both devices will launch on September 19 in the first wave of countries, with pre-orders starting on September 12. The iPhone 6 will be available in 16 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB variants for $199, $299, and $399. The iPhone 6 Plus will be available in the same storage capacities for $299, $399, and $499, respectively. Both iPhone 6 models also come in the same Space Gray, Gold, and Silver variants. The iPhone 5c is now free on contract while the iPhone 5s will now be offered for $99.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/09/apple-announces-iphone6-iphone6plus/

Can't wait to get my hands on it! Probably gonna be the smaller 64GB for me, never was a fan of the bigger screens like on the Samsung Galaxies anyways.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

If you are running on an iPhone 5/5S, I really see no purpose in upgrading to the 6. I don't use Apple phones but I still follow up on their products and am very disappointing on what they are releasing.

The only REAL thing I am seeing that is promising is the Apple Pay? Because I think they will have it down rather than our Google Wallet that flopped so hard. But a lot of the technologies on the iPhone 6 is exactly the same as the Nexus 4...and that phone came out 2 years ago. So really...like I said on my status and I will say again here...there really seems to be no point from upgrading from the 5/5S to the 6, I'd just stick with the 5/5S.

Another note, I just realized that there are rounded edges and thicker bezels...like really? The iPhone 5 actually looks nice and now it's starting to look like a Galaxy S2/S3 phone. Eh, to each their own I guess.

I'm just waiting for the die-hard Apple fan-boys to buy the iPhone 6 Plus after they talked so much crap about people with large Galaxy screened phones. The irony isn't it?

I'm just waiting for the die-hard Apple fan-boys to buy the iPhone 6 Plus after they talked so much crap about people with large Galaxy screened phones. The irony isn't it?

Most people don't buy iPhones just because they like it. They buy it because the marketing works and they eat it up. Apple Pay finally means the implementation of NFC, which you said was present in the Nexus and more than likely debuted on that phone. Google Wallet isn't as mainstream as it should be, because the carriers are the one that are making it hard. Just for my S4 on T-Mobile, I have to install a workaround and even to that, I have problems with it. On some phones/carriers, it works and others, it won't. Outside of that, Apple Pay could finally make NFC a mainstream thing, just not for purchases but for sharing as well.

For the most part, it's just been a copy or be beaten by Android. I haven't heard any good counter arguments when I tell people that the first dual-core, quad-core, octa-core (International S4), and NFC enabled devices were all powered by Android.

I would go iPhone just to say that I had it but my ownership is probably not going to last past the iPhone 7.

Other than that, my phone's battery is shot so I'm not able to boot up. If it's not fixable, I'll be phone shopping.

If you are running on an iPhone 5/5S, I really see no purpose in upgrading to the 6. I don't use Apple phones but I still follow up on their products and am very disappointing on what they are releasing.

The only REAL thing I am seeing that is promising is the Apple Pay? Because I think they will have it down rather than our Google Wallet that flopped so hard. But a lot of the technologies on the iPhone 6 is exactly the same as the Nexus 4...and that phone came out 2 years ago. So really...like I said on my status and I will say again here...there really seems to be no point from upgrading from the 5/5S to the 6, I'd just stick with the 5/5S.

Another note, I just realized that there are rounded edges and thicker bezels...like really? The iPhone 5 actually looks nice and now it's starting to look like a Galaxy S2/S3 phone. Eh, to each their own I guess.

I have a 5S, I'm definitely looking forward to the Apple Pay and it's one of the big reasons I'm gonna upgrade. I'm hoping they will allow other NFC apps so eventually maybe even the replacement for the MetroCard could be loaded onto the phone in addition to a smart card. Not to mention game tickets and so on, which I know already work with the NFC on Android.

I'm not gonna be a hyprocrite and get the Plus, I never liked the big screens like the Galaxys have and won't now just because Apple has a phone with one. 4.7" will do it for me, hell the screen on my 5S now is fine. But I can't speak for the rest of the Apple "fanboys".

You know, I was watching the live stream of the presentation. It was one hell of a sloppy broadcast and it turns out that I wasn't the only one having those issues. I also found it annoying that I had to install Safari just to watch the damn thing, just to see it take a dump on itself. I know Steve Jobs must be haunting Tim Cook's soul right about now.

I do like the new iPhone 6 and 6+ from a stylistic standpoint. One of my gripes is that the app developers will yet again, have to redesign their apps to fit with the new screens. What I want to see is the production and sales, and how much it'll affect the 4th quarter of this year, considering that they screwed up pretty hard with the iPhone 5 to the point where they never really recovered until the 5C/S.

----------------------------------------------------

On another note, as a current user of the Motorola Moto G, my next planned upgrade was originally going to be the 2nd Generation Moto X, but word is that Google and Motorola are working on the next Nexus, which was leaked on a benchmark as the Google Nexus X. If this is really true, this will be my device of choice!

Edited by Cait Sith

The next Moto X looks promising, but I'm pretty happy with my OnePlus One phone. If Apple Pay succeeds, I guess it can push Google to improve Google Wallet. Honestly speaking, I felt that the iPhone 5/5S should of had NFC already in their phones (if not already). Because a lot of older Android based and I'm sure even Windows based phones have NFC already.

Another disappointment from Apple I forgot to mention was the watch. The concept pictures were looking a lot better than the final product. Then again the concept pictures resembled the Galaxy watches if I'm not mistaken. Another copyright war coming along?

**I still don't like the design of the new iPhone 6, it looks too close to the Galaxy line now with the rounded sides and such. the iPhone 5 probably had a solid design and should have stick with that.

I don't see what the big deal is with this new Apple phone.  The front always looks the same... BORING.... The fact that they are now increasing the screen size... So what? They seem to be behind IMO on certain features and people are just flocking to them to be seen... Nothing more and nothing less...

I don't see what the big deal is with this new Apple phone.  The front always looks the same... BORING.... The fact that they are now increasing the screen size... So what? They seem to be behind IMO on certain features and people are just flocking to them to be seen... Nothing more and nothing less...

Seem to be behind? They are behind in terms of hardware minus if at the very lest their processor for the phone. Everything else is pretty much 2012.

I saw a comment somewhere on 9gag where they said the Apple iPhone is exactly like the Call of the Duty series...same shit every year.