The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone thinks that T-Mobile will add the iPhone to its lineup along Spring, VZ & AT&T?

T-Mobile may eventually be AT&T in the future, so I wouldnt be surprised.

In other news....sad news that is....WebOS is OFFICIALLY dead! :cry: I saw A LOT of potential for WebOS to grow especially if it branched out to other brands! HP recently was in talks with Samsung so we'll know soon enough.

T-Mobile may eventually be AT&T in the future, so I wouldnt be surprised.

In other news....sad news that is....WebOS is OFFICIALLY dead! :cry: I saw A LOT of potential for WebOS to grow especially if it branched out to other brands! HP recently was in talks with Samsung so we'll know soon enough.

Speaking of webOS........I went to nearly EVERY Best Buy in Manhattan (and one in the Bronx) to find that damn TouchPad. Sold out. Everywhere.

Speaking of webOS........I went to nearly EVERY Best Buy in Manhattan (and one in the Bronx) to find that damn TouchPad. Sold out. Everywhere.

The one by Queens Center did have a live device over there, I went back the other day. Sold out and GONE!

Big news coming out of this infamous AT&T/T-Mobile deal!!

--------------------

US seeks to block AT&T, T-Mobile deal over antitrust issues

AT&T's proposed $39 billion buyout of T-Mobile hit a roadblock on Wednesday when the Department of Justice filed to block the deal over concerns that it would reduce wireless market competition.

“The combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers all across the United States facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products for mobile wireless services,” said Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole at a news conference.

The deal has faced tough opposition from consumer groups and No. 3 carrier Sprint Nextel since it was announced in March.

The DOJ said in a statement that its complaint, filed in federal court in Washington, asserts that AT&T and T-Mobile compete directly nationwide, including in 97 of the the country's 100 largest cellular marketing areas. In addition, they compete for business and government contracts.

"Were the merger to proceed, there would only be three providers with 90 percent of the market, and competition among the remaining competitors on all dimensions-including price, quality, and innovation-would be diminished," Cole said.

Index Last Change

ATT 26.82 -0.03

-0.11%

Quotes delayed 15+ min.

AT&T could challenge the Justice Department's action in court. AT&T declined to comment, Reuters said.

A failure of the deal puts T-Mobile in a difficult position. It's struggling to compete with the larger carriers, and owner Deutsche Telekom AG has said it's not willing to invest more in the venture.

AT&T has promised T-Mobile $3 billion in cash if the deal doesn't go through, plus spectrum rights and agreements that could be worth billions more.

"It's surprising. Clearly AT&T didn't expect this. AT&T put itself in a position where it would have to pay a hefty break-up fee to T-Mobile USA," said telecoms analyst Steve Clement of Pacific Crest.

AT&T has said the deal would let it add capacity and meet demand for high-speed wireless service. Rivals such as Sprint say it would hurt competition and lead to higher prices, an argument echoed by the Justice Department in the court papers.

The Federal Communications Commission has not made a decision to block the deal, a spokesman said.

On August 31, 2011, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) informed Deutsche Telekom that it will file a complaint in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia seeking a permanent injunction blocking the proposed stock purchase agreement between AT&T and Deutsche Telekom under which AT&T will acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom.

The Company is very disappointed by the DOJ's action, and will join AT&T in defending the contemplated merger against the complaint in court. DOJ failed to acknowledge the robust competition in the U.S. wireless telecommunications industry and the tremendous efficiencies associated with the proposed transaction, which would lead to significant customer, shareholder, and public benefits. We appreciate the DoJ's willingness to discuss possible remedies to address the competitive concerns.

Disgusting. Since all T-Mobile can do is sell out their own customer base, even if this merger doesn't happen, I may still move to Sprint.

It may take a breakup to prop up T-Mobile USA Inc.

The telecom company could come away with billions of dollars in cash and services if an acquisition bid from rival AT&T Inc. falls through; that's a real possibility after the Justice Department on Wednesday moved to block the deal on antitrust grounds.

If the $39-billion deal disintegrates, AT&T would have to pay more than $3 billion in cash to T-Mobile's German parent, Deutsche Telekom, along with airwaves and a roaming agreement worth billions more.

The situation is ironic: AT&T's attempt to become the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. could ultimately help strengthen its rival. T-Mobile, the nation's fourth-largest carrier, is known as a scrappy, price-oriented telecom player. A major payout could turn it into a much larger threat.

"It would put T-Mobile on better competitive footing," said Steve Clement, senior research analyst with Pacific Crest. "T-Mobile's stand-alone basis would strengthen and AT&T's options would weaken."

More at LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tmobile-breakup-20110901,0,2140867.story?track=rss

• 4 weeks later...
Android 2.3.4 (originally advertised to be 2.3.3) Gingerbread has hit the G2!

DSC02125.jpg

Overall, I am very impressed at what they've done with this update. Performance has improved dramatically and the boot time is incredibly fast now!

Lol get rid of that shitty stock text msg app. Download Handcent Sms from the Market. Its a million x better then it. You can fully customize the entire operation of Handcent Sms to your like and can even use that nova as a backround.

I still have Andriod 2.3.3 and its super fast and phone starts up super quick and overall the response of the EVO Shift is amazing. I was under the impression gingerbead was 2.3.3. So my question is, how much better is 2.3.4? I got a system msg to upgrade but I didnt do it yet.

Lol get rid of that shitty stock text msg app. Download Handcent Sms from the Market. Its a million x better then it. You can fully customize the entire operation of Handcent Sms to your like and can even use that nova as a backround.

I still have Andriod 2.3.3 and its super fast and phone starts up super quick and overall the response of the EVO Shift is amazing. I was under the impression gingerbead was 2.3.3. So my question is, how much better is 2.3.4? I got a system msg to upgrade but I didnt do it yet.

I kinda like the regular messaging app lol, its organized enough for me.

2.3.4 is significantly better, it works different for other phones though.

Which also reminds me, a hot new line of phones is out as of late....

AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S II

Sprint's Epic 4G Touch (their Galaxy S II)

The Blackberry 9860

The Droid Bionic

The HTC Titan

The Blackberry Bold 9900. I personally like this blackberry

The Blackberry Torch 2 : New & Improved!

And now for the tablets.

The ASUS EE Pad Slider. I personally want this one...

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to dumping my EVO 4G and got me the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (yes that's the name of it). Overall I am totally satisfied with this device and it's gorgeous 4.52" Super AMOLED Plus display compared to the washed out looking LCD of the EVO 4G (I also think the qHD Pentile displays on the newer devices looked washed out too). There's a improvement with battery life over the EVO 4G which was a battery draining monster.

SC20111003-180259.pngSC20111003-183801.png

SC20111003-093725.pngSC20111003-180559.png

I'm still kinda skeptical about the OS of the Nexus Prime....

In other interesting news....the RAZR MAY BE coming back....in Android form....but not in the way you think!!

There have been leaks all over the web about a possible Motorola DROID RAZR (aka Motorola Spyder) coming to Verizon

Here is what it APPEARS to look like....I personally do like the design....

spyder-2-311x540.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Breaking: AT&T, T-Mobile Kill Merger

The biggest corporate deal of the year is dead.

AT&T ran into a buzzsaw of government opposition to its proposed $39 billion takeover of mobile company T-Mobile USA. And now the companies are throwing in the towel.

AT&T said in a statement that it and T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom have agreed to drop the merger, which was first announced in March.

The statement says, in part:

“The actions by the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice to block this transaction do not change the realities of the U.S. wireless industry. It is one of the most fiercely competitive industries in the world, with a mounting need for more spectrum that has not diminished and must be addressed immediately. The AT&T and T-Mobile USA combination would have offered an interim solution to this spectrum shortage. In the absence of such steps, customers will be harmed and needed investment will be stifled.”

AT&T said it will record a $4 billion pretax accounting charge in the fourth quarter, to reflect the value of the breakup fee it owes to Deutsche Telekom. AT&T already had set aside the money. AT&T also said it will enter into a “mutually beneficial” mobile roaming agreement with Deutsche Telekom.

Shares of AT&T are slipping less than 1% in after-hours trading.

Sprint shares are spiking about 7% in after-hours trading. Sprint would have been left to twist in the wind as a distant No. 3 U.S. wireless carrier if T-Mobile and AT&T had combined. Shares of Dish Network, an opponent of the AT&T-TMobile merger, also are higher in after-hours trading.

All I have to say is GOOD.

• 2 months later...

Internet giant Facebook is accessing smartphone users' personal text messages, an investigation revealed Sunday.

Facebook admitted reading text messages belonging to smartphone users who downloaded the social-networking app and said that it was accessing the data as part of a trial to launch its own messaging service, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

A spokesman for Facebook says while nothing has been launched yet, users will be prompted to give permission when the feature debuts.

"The permission is clearly disclosed on the app page in the Android marketplace and is in anticipation of new features that enable users to integrate Facebook features with their texts," a spokesman for Facebook said in a statement. "However, other than some very limited testing, we haven't launched anything yet so we're not using the permission.

Other well-known companies accessing smartphone users' personal data -- such as text messages -- include photo-sharing site Flickr, dating site Badoo and Yahoo Messenger, the paper said.

Read more: Facebook spies on phone users' text messages, report says | Fox News

And another Privacy issue:

Facebook, Flickr, others accused of reading text messages

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/facebook-flickr-others-accused-of-reading-text-messages/70237

Edited by mark1447