The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

And this is why we have Sprint. If my family can have UNLIMITED data on a 3 line family plan for less $$ than VZ, why would we have them? Because (literally) everyone else does? I won't go near VZ wireless (or AT&T for that matter) until they have unlimited data and they lower their rates. Sprint really isn't bad like people say it is, coverage is fine, the 4G is pretty fast even though it isn't LTE (they are rolling out LTE too), I have no complaints. The only thing I'll use VZ for is FiOS.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verizon has been slipping of late. I have Verizon at home and at work and several weeks ago we had a huge internet problem here in the office. I usually deal with them when there is an internet problem so I called them up and made a stink and got a manager on the phone who followed up with me after I threatened to speak with my boss (owner) and have us use someone else. Took a few weeks to resolve the problem and then I got them to give us about $400.00 off of the company bill, which was certainly justified seeing that I had to work from home to serve clients and such. <_<

Now I'm owed almost $60.00 from FiOS credits and they keep claiming that they're going to send me a check which I'm still waiting for. I've been patient since they claim the need two billing cycles, so it is almost about time to have a check in my hand. As much as I hate Sprint, I may look into them simply because Verizon has not been living up my standards for what they charge. T-Mobile and AT&T suck as well service wise, so there isn't much left to choose from.

I don't see the big deal... I do just fine with 10GB of data and 1,000 text messages a month. It's been like this in Europe for years. The thing is the Americans are used to having everything in excess and unlimited quantities. We've had it good for way too long... Cheap gas... Cheap food... Now folks have to cut back and they can't adjust. It's all about living in a more simple manner.

I do just fine with 200mb a month of data, and I'm able to browse all I want and I don't think I ever came close to reaching the cap. I dont know how anyone can exceed 10-20GB of data unless that's their only internet connection, or they are tethering with other devices.

I do just fine with 200mb a month of data, and I'm able to browse all I want and I don't think I ever came close to reaching the cap. I dont know how anyone can exceed 10-20GB of data unless that's their only internet connection, or they are tethering with other devices.

Well I won't lie... The main thing I use my phone for is watching NHL games when I'm traveling or listening to music on Youtube. I originally had the 5GB plan, but Verizon allowed me to double that for free. Since I've moved to Riverdale my usage has dropped significantly because I have a very short commute now. Before I'd use a ton traveling to Staten Island, but now I'm lucky to have enough time for a 15 - 20 minute nap and maybe 10 - 20 minutes for music.

I don't see the big deal... I do just fine with 10GB of data and 1,000 text messages a month. It's been like this in Europe for years. The thing is the Americans are used to having everything in excess and unlimited quantities. We've had it good for way too long... Cheap gas... Cheap food... Now folks have to cut back and they can't adjust. It's all about living in a more simple manner.

If that the case VG8 then dont come to us moaning if the MTA ever canned unlimited ride metrocards.

If that the case VG8 then dont come to us moaning if the MTA ever canned unlimited ride metrocards.

Oh please!! You can't compare cell phones to Metrocards... Two very different things! People NEED to get around in the city and it should be cheap seeing that our tax dollars supplement the system. Meanwhile you don't have to have internet on the phone going 24/7. That's the point. Folks still have unlimited internet at home. They are cell phones not computers.

Well I won't lie... The main thing I use my phone for is watching NHL games when I'm traveling or listening to music on Youtube. I originally had the 5GB plan, but Verizon allowed me to double that for free. Since I've moved to Riverdale my usage has dropped significantly because I have a very short commute now. Before I'd use a ton traveling to Staten Island, but now I'm lucky to have enough time for a 15 - 20 minute nap and maybe 10 - 20 minutes for music.

I dont use youtube on my phone, if im watching a video or listening to music, its stuff I loaded on there myself.

Oh please!! You can't compare cell phones to Metrocards... Two very different things! People NEED to get around in the city and it should be cheap seeing that our tax dollars supplement the system. Meanwhile you don't have to have internet on the phone going 24/7. That's the point. Folks still have unlimited internet at home. They are cell phones not computers.

And of course you bring up tax dollars.

In any case, I barely even use my cell phone to talk or text, let alone use the Internet (which I don't even have access to on a phone). I don't see how somebody needs all that Internet access unless they're using it in place of a computer.

Guest Lance

I don't see a problem with data caps. Maybe it will get people off their phones for once.

It won't. You'll just see an increase of reports on the news about Verizon customers who are "shocked" about their bills.

It won't. You'll just see an increase of reports on the news about Verizon customers who are "shocked" about their bills.

LOL!! My cell phone bill is about $120.00 a month with everything. What's more shocking is my internet plan. Almost as expensive as my FiOS internet when I had that. <_<

Had quite the experience with Sprint over the past few weeks. My Evo Shift's screen was going nuts, and it wasn't recognizing touch properly. So I took it in to the Sprint store, got a free replacement, and within a few days the screen just stopped lighting up on that. So, I took it in AGAIN, got another replacement today, and now the U button on the keyboard won't work unless you push hard on it. I pointed it out to the guys in the Sprint store as it was like that when I picked it up, but they refused to replace this one, they don't think you have to press hard on it, so I really don't know what to do.

I have a lot of friends who have Sprint and they have had signal problems and also issues with replacements. If i were you, I would change carriers if possible, but early termination fees can be a PITA, so buying a new phone may be your best bet.

This is why I don't have a carrier with contracts anymore.

I have MetroPCS and the LG Optimus M+ and I love it, although data is a bit slow sometimes.

I have a lot of friends who have Sprint and they have had signal problems and also issues with replacements. If i were you, I would change carriers if possible, but early termination fees can be a PITA, so buying a new phone may be your best bet.

This is why I don't have a carrier with contracts anymore.

I have MetroPCS and the LG Optimus M+ and I love it, although data is a bit slow sometimes.

We're not getting rid of Sprint. The unlimited data is a BIG thing for us. If it was just me on a single-line plan, I'd probably get MetroPCS, but Sprint's not that bad. The replacements are the only problem I've really had with them.

Forbes - "

9to5macblackandwhite.png

Pictures released today by

9to5Mac

9to5Mac says, “From a production standpoint, it appears that the metal antenna band is molded into the metal backplates. We assume this is Apple’s way of creating a unibody enclosure for mobile devices. Apple introduced unibody notebooks in late 2008, and the purpose of the unibody is to allow Apple to produce thinner and lighter, yet stronger, devices. Now that most of the phone’s external elements are one piece, Apple is likely able to squeeze more into the iPhone internally. Apple needs all the space they can get with their plans of producing LTE smartphones with proper battery life.”

What’s interesting to me is how little of a departure this is from the current iPhone 4 design. Could this be a plant from Apple to get us off course? Or is the larger screen enough of a departure and the rest will be small bits like moving the position of the front-facing camera and the smaller dock connector? Will Tim Cook tease us any more in his All Things D keynote? More to come…"

Source: 9 to 5 Mac via Forbes.

forntglass9to5.png

show two versions of a metal case for the new iPhone, one in black and one in white. They later released a shot of the matching face plate that does indeed show a screen aperture that matches the current width but is taller, seemingly to accommodate a 4″ display.

Guest Lance
What’s interesting to me is how little of a departure this is from the current iPhone 4 design.

Not for nothing, but outside of making the edges more boxy on the 4(s) and the addition of the camera, the iPhone design hasn't changed at all.

Not for nothing, but outside of making the edges more boxy on the 4(s) and the addition of the camera, the iPhone design hasn't changed at all.

Well folks will still be sleeping outside and fighting to get into the store for the "sleek" <_< "made in China" gPhone... "G" for garbage....

Guest Lance

Well folks will still be sleeping outside and fighting to get into the store for the "sleek" <_< "made in China" gPhone... "G" for garbage....

You know it. Damn fanboys.

Also, that reminds me, apparently Apple's new CEO wants their products to be made in America. However, the likelihood of that happening any time soon is remote.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/31/could-next-apple-ipad-be-made-in-usa/

Also, that reminds me, apparently Apple's new CEO wants their products to be made in America. However, the likelihood of that happening any time soon is remote.

http://www.foxnews.c...be-made-in-usa/

I think it's very possible in the near future... The cost for outsourcing to China continues to increase, and fuel and transportation prices are increasing too, so many companies that moved overseas are now coming back to the US. Having products made here allows companies quicker distribution and in some cases lower costs by way of better quality of the products, not to mention the tax breaks.

The format seemed to have cropped out the Source Link, so here ya go: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/05/29/latest-iphone-5-component-leaks-show-taller-screen-metal-back-smaller-dock-connector/

As for made in USA, it definitely sounds awesome, hopefully America can produce enough phones for the world market in the distance future (being as generous as possible) lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy my iPad2 and sure as hell want a Mac desktop. IMO the iPhone is stupid to me, I don't have need for one. Especially cuz now all "new" non-computer apple products are just the old ones with slight tweaks.

http://www.foxnews.c...be-made-in-usa/

They're bullshitting you when they say their products have to "cost more" to sell their products when they're already overpriced compared to other things, profit margins on Apple products is already pretty damn high