The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

My mom is going to order 16 GB iPhone 5s for her and I, and I am also planning to get an Otterbox case. What they did was probably the most innovative thing in Apple history. I think it was worth skipping out on the iPhone 4. Although, I do not like the color on the back. But the changes that they made to the iPod nano are INSANE. And the iPod touch as well. Great job Apple. Hope to use my iPhone 5 soon.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iphone-5_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The Verge (San Francisco, CA) - "The new iPhone is finally official. Apple has named its sixth-generation smartphone the iPhone 5 and Phil Schiller has detailed its full set of features, specs, and release details. Measuring 7.6mm in thickness and 112 grams in weight, this is the thinnest and lightest iPhone that Apple has ever made, and is constructed "entirely" out of glass and aluminum. The new iPhone looks pretty much identical to all the leaks and mockups we've seen in the past few weeks — evidently Apple wasn't able to keep a lid on its most anticipated product, after all.

And yes, it has a 4-inch display! The new screen resolution is the oft-rumored 1136 x 640, meaning the display of the iPhone 4 and 4S has simply been elongated, both physically and in terms of pixel rows. To quote Phil, "you see, we're able to add a fifth row of icons." All of Apple's own software has been updated for the new resolution and screen size, while third-party apps will be letterboxed where necessary. Also in line with pre-launch rumors, the new iPhone's display features in-cell touchscreen technology, integrating the touch sensors right into the display itself. This should make for a thinner panel overall, though Apple also touts it as "the most accurate display in the industry."

There's also LTE connectivity, with a single chip, single radio, and what Apple describes as a "dynamic" antenna. Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T LTE flavors will all be supported by the iPhone 5. Apple rates this new handset's battery life at 8 hours of LTE web browsing."

Source Link /// Read More - http://www.theverge....ce-announcement

***This is Article 1 of 3, this article is for iPhone Discussion ONLY***

For iTunes/Quicktime/Software by Apple, discuss here: http://www.nyctransi...ices-and-ipods/

For iPods (including Nano, Touch and Shuffle), discuss here: http://www.nyctransi...no-get-a-remix/

Edited by KeystoneRegional

Buying it no doubt about it. I'm a Mac user and always wanted the iPhone, but I didn't bother with the iPhone last year because of the lack of 4G, so I went with the Evo Shift instead. Sprint caps 3G data but not 4G, so I don't take my chances lol, and even if the 4S was 4G it'd probably have been LTE and Sprint had no LTE at the time. They just announced that LTE is coming to the NY very soon a few days ago, and I'm due for my upgrade on October 1st, so I can't wait to get this!

The most disappointing thing I've seen in 2012. The new iPod Touches made up for the disappointment.

LOL. Well Apple has been getting slower with coming out with new things after Steve Jobs died.

Still, knowing how long it took for this iPhone to come out, I know it will be a while before a newer one is even announced. I will probably upgrade my iPhone 4 to this.

LOL. Well Apple has been getting slower with coming out with new things after Steve Jobs died.

Still, knowing how long it took for this iPhone to come out, I know it will be a while before a newer one is even announced. I will probably upgrade my iPhone 4 to this.

It's not like there is anything dramatic that came out through all of this like the original launch of the iPhone 4. That one blew the minds of many, even myself. But this iPhone 5 is a total joke. The screen is supposed to be longer and wider, not just longer. 1136x640 resolution? My phone has 1280x720 resolution!

So it's a tiny bit thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4S, of course it'd be lighter since they removed the glass and added an aluminum backing to it. Thinner? Ehh, not by much.

Apple, who likes to be touted as being "ahead of the game" is far behind the times. Everyone is praising the phone because it FINALLY has 4G...man listen, EVERY Android device in the market right now has had 4G and way better specifications since the inception of this phone AND the iPhone 4 which was also touted to have 4G but didn't! It's a damn shame that Apple has to play catch-up while everyone else has far surpassed them.

And I'm going to say this again.

The iPhone....the phone for the simple-minded.

I think the real question is do people like Apple because it is Apple or do they really think that Apple products are more technologically advanced in comparison to other products out there? If the later is the answer.... :lol:

I think its basically because it's Apple. I think its mostly because they can just boast that they have an iPhone or an iWhatever.....

If its the latter......

double-facepalm1.jpg

It's amazing how the look of iOS hasn't changed in 5 years. Also another fail in terms of technology is the new windows logo I mean it took them 25 years to make those boxes. but i have to admit both the ipod/iphone 5 look really NICE.

P.S

At least they're making the new ipod shoot videos at 1080p so i'm thankful for that.

Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

I like my iPhone 4, it does what I need and it's easy to use. I only got it because it was an easy transition from the iPod touch to the iPhone and my previous phone was a flip phone. I guess I'm in the minority of Apple users that buys Apple products solely because it's a step up from something I already had.

That being said, the iPhone 5 is a joke and the only real up side is a bigger screen that isn't even that big. So what it's lighter and slimmer, is an iPhone really that bulky (I have an Otter Box on my phone and it's still small)? And 4G, I don't use my phone that much since I can't have it on me at work. I'll wait till they come out with something with a much bigger screen and a faster network (which I don't doubt will be around by the time they have a new phone).

I got to use one (not buy one) at an Apple Store today, for some reason the screen feels a bit smaller than the old one to me even though it's actually bigger. Still getting it though, just have to wait until October 1st (thank you Sprint for getting rid of the 14-day early upgrade policy).