The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little bit. You can just buy a subsidized version and then jailbreak it. (If it's running firmware 4.0 / 4.0.1)

ugh, jailbreaking and unlocking are not the same thing. Jailbreaking = removing Apple's software restriction so that you can install any software you wish to install that is not authorized by Apple and on iTunes app store. Unlocking = Removing the carrier restriction on the device so that you may use it on any compatible network. IE: GSM device on any GSM network and CDMA device on any CDMA network.

Help me out here, am I crazy to spend almost $1000 on a unlocked iphone 4 32g? I cannot take it to sprint so I dunno, I'm between a rock and a hard place about this.

Get the EVO 4G. Forget the iPhone.

ugh, jailbreaking and unlocking are not the same thing. Jailbreaking = removing Apple's software restriction so that you can install any software you wish to install that is not authorized by Apple and on iTunes app store. Unlocking = Removing the carrier restriction on the device so that you may use it on any compatible network. IE: GSM device on any GSM network and CDMA device on any CDMA network.

I know that, I'm just used to unlocking the phone as part of the jailbreak process. (As you can slipstream the ultrasn0w unlock right into the jailbreak)

Get the EVO 4G. Forget the iPhone.

I'm not getting the iphone to replace my regular cell phone, I'm getting the iphone for its features and use it for my music when I'm in my truck. I have an Alpine ipod only radio so I just plug it in to hear music. Ok, thats that I just found out that the jailbroken iphone ($1000) won't work anymore if I update it thru itunes when there's updates available, so forget it i'll just go buy one from apple and get a small plan for it, since I wont be using it as a phone. I'm sure all these other phone are F'n amazing but in my type of work I rely on Nextel for the 2 way to communicate to other drivers and people instantly, so I use the Blackberry curve 8350i for that. the phone is boring. But thanks for the advice. :tup:

I like my EVO I had a jailbroken iphone way back in the day but I'd never buy another.. besides a friend tried to get me to buy his iphone 3gs so he could upgrade to the 4.. I said no thanks.. He did find some people to buy it for like around $250.

My co-worker is giving me his iphone 3g for free when he gets the iphone 4 tomorrow, nice :tup:

as a Android user I can tell you everything in that video is bullshit. how about this for "1hr battery life".

dsc7363.jpg

Heh, it was supposed to be a bad attempt at a joke :P

Interesting to see that has a feature like that though, and it gives you a rough percentage. I can't say other devices do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I present to you this....

DSC02384.jpg

Keeping the plastic on this phone

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

Pre-ordered the phone a few days ago and it arrived this morning. Phone feels very solid in the hand and the keyboard is pretty good and very tactile. Camera and such is really good. Comes with Android 2.2 Froyo and lots more goodies.

Is that an LFSA I see as your phone's default?? Wow, you're breaking into your new phone already!

Personally I'm not a fan of HTC phones but that one takes the cake. You made a good choice if I must say.

Yeah it is, I changed it to something more appropriate for a fast phone. :)

Update on Windows Phone 7, this may possibly be the biggest/best preview of the O/S out there

NOTE : The phone seen here is just a prototype.

I still think the iphone 4 will smoke all these other phones.

Only if they made the Iphone4 with direct connect for nextel, thats my dream.

The only thing the iPhone has that the new HTC's don't are apps. The Nextel i1 comes out soon. It's a Droid too! I had Nextel for 8 years before I switched to the Sprint side. And when I first did that I had the Sprint Nextel ic902 hybrid. I loved that phone!

The only thing the iPhone has that the new HTC's don't are apps. The Nextel i1 comes out soon. It's a Droid too! I had Nextel for 8 years before I switched to the Sprint side. And when I first did that I had the Sprint Nextel ic902 hybrid. I loved that phone!

lol dude, Android has the marketplace where you can download free and paid applications. Just like iTunes.