GMC/TMC/Nova RTS Discussion

RockParkH

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering when that stuff was going to start to move over to MTAB. (the 95/9600's first, of course). The 9300's and before, CNG Orions (and the BL second-hands) already over there will probably be ready to go soon. (With some already being sent to the ECH lot).

Yeah, there a ton of RTS' in storage that are still good, so I would think a few of them will go to MTAB. The bulk of the Orion CNG's will likely retire in 2011, and 2012 when all 775 of the new buses have arrived.

I sure hope those are the 1999 ones.

The older ones sound like they have arthritis and the joints of a 90 year old.

4900-5104 are actually 1998 models, and 5105-5249 are the 1999 models.

Yeah, there a ton of RTS' in storage that are still good, so I would think a few of them will go to MTAB. The bulk of the Orion CNG's will likely retire in 2011, and 2012 when all 775 of the new buses have arrived.

Since you brought Orion 5s into the equation, do you know how long the 6300s will be sticking around for? I'd hope to see them still running in Staten Island five years from now.

(V)Ery interesting thread , I actually learned something about these hybrids that I wish was still running because I can see them all over instead of Orions

Lol Orion lovers I know you want them too:p

Ciboi nice pics by the way

The learning actually starts now!

More likely less then five years from now.

Yep.

Ok, well look here guys. Everybody keep up with the next posts throught the bus, and subway side. I want to change the atmosphere of the site a little. We should be having meaningful conversations about topics that would interest a majority of users. They should be healthy conversations, that everyone can participate in, and not foam over, or disrespect anyone elses opinions. And on a personal note we all need to stop the bickering within the transit community as a whole. All the he said, she said, he's red, I'm blue, everybody trying to 1-Up everybody else needs to stop. We all have to grow up sometime, and it's about time that all of us take a look in the mirror, and say the world is bigger than just us. We need to learn how to coexist peacefully. The idea of rail and bus fan is much bigger than the simple definition. It brings people together from all walks of life. Of the 2200 plus people worldwide on this site right now as I type this, I say remember 1 thing. If this is a true hobby for you, then make it just that. Don't take this to any other level unless it's for the positive. If I have ever personally offended anyone, or anyone ever felt offended by another NYCTF staff member, I apologize on behalf of myself and everyone else here at The Forums. Thank you all for making this place what it is. This is for the enjoyment of what we love! Let's have fun! I'm always up for a debate! Most of us are!

That being said, lets do this fall kick-off:tup::tup: School is back in session, so we're going to learn about some buses. This should address some FAQs, as well as change the tone of the site. For non-subway guys, I invite you to head on over there as the next few discussions will be very interesting. I don't know too much about subways myself, so this should be fun!

The first topic of this new series of discussions is this......

NYCTF Exclusive inside look at a top secret plan. Codename: T80-209E

Well what on earth could that be???!!! I would like to keep things reserved for Foam-Free Discussions, but if you foam a little over this, we can make an exception!! Comments anyone???

Hybrid vehicle technology was still primitive and developing at the time the RTS Hybrid was considered..imo the RTS is a much better design than the Orion 7 and if the MTA waited and ordered the RTS hybrids now I think it probably would have passed
Yeah but isnt the RTS much heavier than a 07 HEV? Which could be the reason why the RTS hybrid failed.I remember catching the electric RTS in 2000 on the M60.Very quiet ride.

Yeah but isnt the RTS much heavier than a 07 HEV? Which could be the reason why the RTS hybrid failed.I remember catching the electric RTS in 2000 on the M60.Very quiet ride.

All high floors are heavier than their low floor counterparts. But yes the weight was a factor in all the different hybrid applications that were tried on the RTS. I think the ones that had the most potential were the ISE powered buses that tested with NJT.

All high floors are heavier than their low floor counterparts. But yes the weight was a factor in all the different hybrid applications that were tried on the RTS. I think the ones that had the most potential were the ISE powered buses that tested with NJT.

Like this one

Hi ENY - I'm a new member from the Boston area - but I travel to NYC a couple of times a year. Really been enjoying your posts about the future bus fleet. Regarding: Codename: T80-209E - has to be the RTS low-floor "Extreme". If NYC or Boston ever gets these buses, it'll be like I died and went to heaven. So, any idea how soon MTA might order these & how definite a deal is this? By the way, I don't know if you've seen this Link:http://gmtblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/new-rts-order-from-boston.html - unfortunately MBTA never completed the order. All the best - Ted

Hi ENY - I'm a new member from the Boston area - but I travel to NYC a couple of times a year. Really been enjoying your posts about the future bus fleet. Regarding: Codename: T80-209E - has to be the RTS low-floor "Extreme". If NYC or Boston ever gets these buses, it'll be like I died and went to heaven. So, any idea how soon MTA might order these & how definite a deal is this? By the way, I don't know if you've seen this Link:http://gmtblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/new-rts-order-from-boston.html - unfortunately MBTA never completed the order. All the best - Ted

Yep, It is definitely the RTS LF. I wish I could give more details, but I'm not allowed to. And I really don't feel like being sued if you get my drift! But I can say to everyone, count on the RTS making a comeback. When I am allowed to speak on the situation further I will. Hopefully, that will be by years end.:cool:

So (MTA) will actually try this out? I thought Millennium had basically fizzled out (or did someone else pick it up?)

To me, the Designline is virtually a new LF RTS. Plus we still have the LFS, which is basically the original RTS low floor.

NJT still uses them now its just that there are 3 of them.

No, NJT is not using the Millennium Transit units. Those buses were brought buy the local government in New Jersey.

So (MTA) will actually try this out? I thought Millennium had basically fizzled out (or did someone else pick it up?)

MTA is really not going to try it out unless its been proven to be with substantial proof. They dont really take a really large risk especially that company who has been bankrupt and never coming out of since they owe people some money.

To me, the Designline is virtually a new LF RTS. Plus we still have the LFS, which is basically the original RTS low floor.

It remains to be seen if MTA will take a hard look, but they will be sent a demo. And the only thing the LFS and RTS have in common is Nova. You could say someone else is picking it up.

MTA is really not going to try it out unless its been proven to be with substantial proof. They dont really take a really large risk especially that company who has been bankrupt and never coming out of since they owe people some money.

Soon, and very soon! And they will be coming out of Ch. 11.

• 3 weeks later...

Lets take a hypothetical situation like this.

The United States Department of Transportation contributes funds to a new project to provide the MTA and other transit agencies from coast to coast with brand new RTS coaches.

The goal of the project is to revitalize a sector of building high quality American made legendary RTS buses. The next generation of RTS bus builds upon the proven quality and reliability of its predecessor. Alternative fuel systems will be the main focus, with niche markets for straight diesel models as well.

35, and 40 foot standard high floors, and low floors would be joined by a new 60 foot low floor model.

What if the MTA were to get 90 high floor 40 footers, 280 low floor 40 footers, and 90 low floor articulated models?

The MTA would be able to save much needed money, and would in turn be used as the platform transit agency, to test the new models, and provide valuable reviews. Many of the buses delivered to the MTA would be fully funded by the government and the manufacturer, which would work as an alliance specifically tailored to addressing the need of United States surface transit operations.

Lean Forward!

If this is really real here, I would gag. I'm just going to wait this one out but as someone who is a HUGE RTS fan, this would be cause for a big celebration, it this were to be true. ENY, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have got to say in this matter. It's seems VERY fascinating.

Archived