GMC/TMC/Nova RTS Discussion

RockParkH

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best bus ever made was the GM Newlook/Fishbowl , RTS is second

Why do you say? I said RTS because they handle better, absorb the impact of accidents better, have a stronger structure, and had a slightly better reliability rating. It also has a timeless design. The New Look was more fuel efficient, and not as high maintenance. Overall, I guess we could both argue why one was better than the other, but it's like comparing an Expedition to a Navigator. Either way, those were the two best buses ever built. And the RTS is the decendent of the New Look. I don't know. You do make a good case!

Why do you say? I said RTS because they handle better, absorb the impact of accidents better, have a stronger structure, and had a slightly better reliability rating. It also has a timeless design. The New Look was more fuel efficient, and not as high maintenance. Overall, I guess we could both argue why one was better than the other, but it's like comparing an Expedition to a Navigator. Either way, those were the two best buses ever built. And the RTS is the decendent of the New Look. I don't know. You do make a good case!

The Newlook was built like a tank and the only buses build on a true assembly line like cars are made. You can rebuild them and they last forever pretty much, Reason why in Canada RTS didnt catch on in the late 70's and early 80's cause the Newlook was a good proven model. Also the Classic is the decendent of the Newlook. The best 3 buses in the world are all GM models , Newlook, RTS and Classic.

• 1 month later...

As many of you may knows, the team at Millennium Transit went in front of the bankruptcy judge on Monday. Proceedings, and negotiations between MTS and its creditors went quite well. I am being told everything is on track for them to emerge from chapter 11 on February 10th!

So lets keep our fingers crossed! As I said before, I am very confident that things will turn out for the best. I think they have a sound business plan and definitely a winning product. If all goes according to plan, one of the first agencies that has been patiently wating to order a small fleet of RTS buses, is actually in the state of New York!:cool:

At that point MTS will begin extensive testing on the 40 foot, and 42.5 foot low floor prototypes they have already built.

Just so everyone knows, the RTS's low floor is the exact same build as a T-Drive high floor. The front floor section has been lowered and that is basically all. The build process, dementions, and overall characteristics of the buses remain the same. The only thing that technically makes the bus an unproven model, is the weight and CG change, along with the fact that they have gone back to an independent front suspension.

Current Plan: Resume imediate RTS high floor production.

Future Plan: Have both of the RTS low floor models ready for demo testing in 2012.

• 1 month later...

As many of you may know, MTS went in front of the Bankruptcy judge this past week to find out if their Ch. 11 exit strategy has been approved. At this time, the MTS team is awaiting the final word. Keep your fingers crossed!!

If this plan is not approved, there is a new plan in the works that will address any issues that the judge may disapprove of.

As many of you may know, MTS went in front of the Bankruptcy judge this week to find out if their Ch. 11 exit strategy has been approved. At this time, the MTS team is awaiting the final word. Keep your fingers crossed!!

If this plan is not approved, there is a new plan in the works that will address any issues that the judge may disapprove of.

Youre joking......

MTS coming to the New York market

Pending their emergance from Ch. 11, yes. MTA is a top priority for MTS, but it would be a little while before any demos were sent to NY. The low-floor has not undergone any Altoona testing yet. Only local area road and structural testing has occurred, and a few issues need to be addressed.

I dont see the TA being interested in anymore high floors.

Pending their emergance from Ch. 11, yes. MTA is a top priority for MTS, but it would be a little while before any demos were sent to NY. The low-floor has not undergone any Altoona testing yet. Only local area road and structural testing has occurred, and a few issues need to be addressed.

I dont see the TA being interested in anymore high floors.

Oh my.

It seems that most TAs are only buying high floors for express/motorcoach service. Except for NJT, I see a vast majority of future bus orders around the country being low floors.

As for MTS, YESSSS!!!!!

It is official!!! Millennium Transit Services is coming out of Chapter 11 Bankrupcy protection! I just got a FULL brief on the program about 10 minutes ago.

This is the day I have been dreaming of for quite some time!

At this time an RTS Extreme low-floor model is at Altoona set to undergo structural durability testing.

To all the nay-sayers that said the RTS would never come back, WHAT NOW!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! From my breaking news on the New Flyer order to the test buses, and now to this!! I rest my case!:cool:

I told you all 2011 would bring surprises and major change!

First order of business is to get the low-floor model approved for mass production. The second order of business is to get 90 test coaches to the MTA!!

The Legend of The RTS Lives On!!!!:drool:

MTARTSExtreme2.jpg

MTARTSExtreme1.jpg

EDIT: This is the 42.5 foot prototype. I will have pics of the 40 footer coming up later this week. There are a couple out there somewhere.

It is official!!! Millennium Transit Services is coming out of Chapter 11 Bankrupcy protection! I just got a FULL brief on the program about 10 minutes ago.

This is the day I have been dreaming of for quite some time!

At this time an RTS Extreme low-floor model is at Altoona set to undergo structural durability testing.

To all the nay-sayers that said the RTS would never come back, WHAT NOW!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! From my breaking news on the New Flyer order to the test buses, and now to this!! I rest my case!:cool:

I told you all 2011 would bring surprises and major change!

First order of business is to get the low-floor model approved for mass production. The second order of business is to get 90 test coaches to the MTA!!

The Legend of The RTS Lives On!!!!:drool:

This is wonderful news, unfortunately they wont be the same :P

As much as it is good news that MTS is emerging out of bankruptcy, and as much as these low floor buses are RTS. They just are not "RTS" to me. When I think of the RTS, I think of the T80-206, a model that has dominated nyct fleet and other fleets nationwide since the 80s. It is nothing against MTS, its just I don't and probably won't feel the same about i

This is wonderful news, unfortunately they wont be the same :(

Few new changes and upgrades.

I doubt the MTA would touch them with a ten foot pole. Too big of a customer for them to handle.

I wouldn't make a bet on that! The TA has been asking for a low floor RTS for years! It's a new day at the MTA my friend! It's BT&E season around these parts, and there is a God!

As much as it is good news that MTS is emerging out of bankruptcy, and as much as these low floor buses are RTS. They just are not "RTS" to me. When I think of the RTS, I think of the T80-206, a model that has dominated nyct fleet and other fleets nationwide since the 80s. It is nothing against MTS, its just I don't and probably won't feel the same about i

It's 100% original RTS T-Drive with a low front floor section. Same build techniques, same stainless steel structure, same rear we all know and love. We just have to settle for a different sound, and the T80-208 front end until the redesign.

It's 100% original RTS T-Drive with a low front floor section. Same build techniques, same stainless steel structure, same rear we all know and love. We just have to settle for a different sound, and the T80-208 front end until the redesign.

That part, I agree with, it is an RTS, and I'm sure it will be just as sturdy as its previous models, it is exactly what you said, different sound, redigned front, high floor, etc. When I think of this, I to a degree, make a comparison to an Orion 5.501 and Orion 6.501. Similiar design aesthetic wise, but in my mind, I never thought of the O6 or an O7 as an extension of the O5, I just thought of each as different models despite the same brand. Obviously, this situation is different however.

If 2.5 feet such a big difference to warrant a separate 90, or is it some other model?

I think two separate tests could be needed. There has never been a 42.5 footer other than the prototype. But first we have to make sure the 40 footer is rock solid and better than ever. Then the future variants will come.

That part, I agree with, it is an RTS, and I'm sure it will be just as sturdy as its previous models, it is exactly what you said, different sound, redigned front, high floor, etc. When I think of this, I to a degree, make a comparison to an Orion 5.501 and Orion 6.501. Similiar design aesthetic wise, but in my mind, I never thought of the O6 or an O7 as an extension of the O5, I just thought of each as different models despite the same brand. Obviously, this situation is different however.

Right. All the other low-floors were new new pretty much from the ground up. At one time the RTS team was going to make an all new low-floor, but TA's very very vocal about it. Specifically, MTA told them they wanted an RTS, and they were not interested in a new model. Nova's executives drugs their feet because the LFS had already debuted.

The RTS LF addresses many issues. The main gripe has been the driver area for decades. There was never enough space on the original narrow front door models. Nova mastered that when they came out with the wide front door, but the look wasn't popular at all.

The new model has enough space to finally accommodate tall drivers. And it's unmistakably an RTS from the inside out!

Now if we could somehow (in my own fantasy world) outfit them with Detroit Diesel DD13 engines........... I would literally cry.

Archived