Long routes you've always wanted to ride

Joel Up Front

Good examples:

N72 to Babylon

N54 to Amityville

N4 to Jamaica (the farthest I've ridden this down Merrick Road is to Shaw Avenue, about five blocks away from the city line)

N16 all the way to Baldwin (not many bus operators are willing to drive the long route, considering everyone gets off at that stop by RVC depot)

N22 (starts in Hicksville and goes all the way to Jamaica)

N24

And I've always wanted to get on an express bus and ride one of those MCI coaches...

W14 and W15: Peekskill-White Plains

love them both... at least 2 hrs from end to end on both routes... scenic, considerable amt. of highway time, good number of twists & turns along the route....

Good examples:

N72 to Babylon

N54 to Amityville

N4 to Jamaica (the farthest I've ridden this down Merrick Road is to Shaw Avenue, about five blocks away from the city line)

N16 all the way to Baldwin (not many bus operators are willing to drive the long route, considering everyone gets off at that stop by RVC depot)

N24....

done em all (full routes, I mean), except for the N16....

- I like the ride on the N72 out of Hempstead... coming from Babylon though, different story...

- I was disappointed w/ the N54 when I first embarked on it... nothing along Jerusalem of interest.. b/w sunrise mall & LIRR Seaford, idc much for it... it's your average typical route.. lol...

- it's something about the N22 & the N24 I don't care for.... The N22, as long as it is, has a tendency to crawl from end-to-end (looping through RFM & LIRR Mineola doesn't help matters)... maybe that's what it is....

- the full N4 route I don't mind riding...

anyway, my answers are:

- the full M5

- the full (NJT) 319 (I only rode parts of it on separate occasions)

- the full TzX route (from Suffern to White plains, or vice versa)

- the full route of CTTransit's coastal link [norwalk to milford]

(from norwalk, I only rode it to bridgeport; that was like an hour and some change... from bridgeport to milford I'd guesstimate at, another hour... )

- just about any longer distance (NJT) route that anyone cares to recommend

I've rode the full routes on most all the more "distanced" local routes here in NYC & the neighboring counties (don't wanna say tri-state area)... and to honest, a portion of 'em I find to be simply flat out boring...

IMO, the B60, Q66, BL-62, N19, S54 (suffolk) all fall into this category...

My to-do list:

M5:Just to see if its as bad as everybody says.

M60:To go over the Triborough in a NG.

S78:SI from one end to the other...definatly epic with an O5

S89:SI to NJ....this route this screams RIDE ME!

x22: You get it all: MCI, Lincoln Tunnel, NJ Turnpike and a winding ride through SI.

QBx1:Do I even have to explain this one.

QM10:Just to ride with our very own King of Queens...KR!

anyway, my answers are:

- the full M5

(from norwalk, I only rode it to bridgeport; that was like an hour and some change... from bridgeport to milford I'd guesstimate at, another hour... )

I didn't know we could include NJ and CT.

I am in total agreement with you on these!

S74 end to end

S78 end to end

S89

M5

S74 & S78, you might as well kill yourself. The S89 isnt that long but its one hell of a ride.

My to-do list:

x22: You get it all: MCI, Lincoln Tunnel, NJ Turnpike and a winding ride through SI.

The M5 doesnt appear to be as bad as people say it would, its more frequent than it used to be.

The S78, even with an O5, that line is torture. Only 1 hour from the S89 terminal from St.George, thats stupidly long.

x22, I've also wanted to do that as well, gotta get one good sounding MCI that also got the speed to do what it does best and you are in for a show!

QM10.....you wont regret it :cool: Although his days on the QM1 were rather fun as well.

anyway, my answers are:

- the full M5

The longest routes I've already ridden are...

- Bx8 (before reroute thru Country Club)

- Q44

- N19

- S62 (Suffolk County)

- Bee Line #12 (back when it ran all the way to Jefferson Valley)

- (NJT) #315 from Cape May to Camden (I didn't ride over the bridge into Philly)

- (NJT) #409 from Camden to Trenton

- Golden Gate Transit #80 (San Francisco to Santa Rosa)

- LACMTA #2 (Downtown LA to Pacific Palisades via Sunset Blvd)

- LACMTA #434 (Malibu to Downtown Los Angeles, before it was shortened to East L.A. and renumber 534)

- OCTA #1 (Long Beach to San Clemente)

this thread is getting more replies than I thought...

The M5 doesnt appear to be as bad as people say it would, its more frequent than it used to be.

you aint kiddin... those damned things appear like wildfire now...

during lunchtime, heading to mcdonalds (the one over there by e 8th & 6th, across from staples), it's not uncommon to see 4-5 of em passing by w/i a 1/2 hour period (usually how long I stay & eat in).... the old M5' were no where close to being that frequent....

I actually don't miss the M6.... lol...

My to-do list:

- M60 is a cool route to ride IMO... as long as you're seated!

having to maneuver around luggages & folded baby carriages (or having one avoiding touching you) is no fun)...

One time I rode it from 125th/Lenox to 125th/Lex.... looping around (never having gotten off in) Queens

(it never really "terminated" inside LGA [i find that some M60's do, some buses don't...]... the bus I was on that day, just stalled whilst in the Marine Air Terminal for like 5 mins., man was that bus packed !)

- QM10 I've rode on a couple occasions... your typical express route... not a bad ride, though.... I always get off over there across the street from lefrak; over there in the 90's (st)....

- S78 end to end, I actually favor over the S74... for a few reasons...

I'll list em if anyone cares enough...

- agree w/ your assessment of the S89... lets just say I wasn't disappointed when I finally got around to taking this route....

- yep yep, about the x22... it's my 2nd favorite exp. route in all of NYC (x19 is first).... I'm usually the only poor soul that gets off @ hylan/page (last stop), over there by the baseball field... maybe I'll ride it sometime this week again....

- Qbx1 is feast or famine with me...

meaning, the ride to me is okay b/w flushing & pelham bay park (PBP)...

But the ride from flushing, to PBP, then in & around co-op, back to PBP... no thanks.. I'll never do that again...

having to maneuver around luggages & folded baby carriages (or having one avoiding touching you) is no fun)...

I just rode the M60 from Lex to Astoria today, standing, it wasn't that bad. The bus seems to be awful slow across the bridge, driving in the right lane, all the cars and MCI's passing it.

I just rode the M60 from Lex to Astoria today, standing, it wasn't that bad. The bus seems to be awful slow across the bridge, driving in the right lane, all the cars and MCI's passing it.

well... you only rode a relatively short portion of the route, though....

I was referring more to the ride from (anywhere in) manhattan to LGA....

anyway, come to think of it, I've never been on a M60 that didn't crawl on the triborough....

Manhattan:

M5

Brooklyn

B13

NJ Transit

Phoenix

Because of our grid system which tends to feature long, straight, major mile roads, Valley Metro has some long bus routes:

#106 Peoria Avenue/Shea Boulevard - The full route of this local bus will take you slightly over 248 blocks from west to east (slighty over 32 miles)

You can board a #106 at the western terminal at 12:07 pm and you won't reach the eastern terminal until 2:54 pm to give you an example.

For a slightly longer local route, we have:

#685 Phoenix/Gila Bend Regional Connector

You can board a #685 in west Phoenix at 9:55 am and riding the full route, you'll arrive in Ajo, Arizona at 1:05 pm. Relax a bit and stretch your legs and you can board the 2:25 pm #685 which will get you back to west Phoenix for 5:35 pm.

The #106 costs $1.75 each way and the #685 $8.00 each way for the full ride

And I've always wanted to get on an express bus and ride one of those MCI coaches...

My favorite express bus route is the X42. It uses the FDR Drive (there's a nice view of some of the East River bridges), Battery Tunnel, Gowanus, Verrazano Bridge (awesome view), and Staten Island expressway. The only caveat is that it ends in a questionable part of Staten Island.

I've taken the BxM4C from Midtown all the way to White Plains. The ride used to be good until they replaced the MCI's with Orion V's.

I've also taken the X17J. Nice ride, assuming the Lincoln Tunnel isn't congested. I've taken the BxM7 twice. During midday it's a nice ride on the Bruckner. During rush hour it crawled on the RFK Bridge.

S74 & S78, you might as well kill yourself. The S89 isnt that long but its one hell of a ride.

Trust me, if I can handle the S79 on its worst day (the longest it ever took me to get from the mall to Brooklyn was 90 minutes due to a car crash on Hylan and Richmond), I can definitely handle the S74/78.

Kiddies i think i been on all of the marathon long local bus routes in the Metro NYC/NJ area and beyond.:cool:

Some highlights include;

(MTA)/(NYCT)

S74 and S78

Q60

B6

B41/B46/B44

Q44

Westchester Bee Line

#12(when it ran Jefferson Valley-White Plains) #14 and #15 Corlandt Town Center-White Plains

(NJT)Buses

#319 New York-Atlantic City

CT Transit

Stamford-New Haven

Greyhound

NY-Tampa Bay

NY-San Diego(1-way) and I flew back.

So I guess I am the winner on the most milage on buses lol.

Good examples:

N72 to Babylon

N54 to Amityville

N24

the N4 will be a 24hr route monday through friday starting sept 12th

Kiddies i think i been on all of the marathon long local bus routes in the Metro NYC/NJ area and beyond.:cool:

Some highlights include;

(MTA)/(NYCT)

S74 and S78

Q60

B6

B41/B46/B44

Q44

Westchester Bee Line

#12(when it ran Jefferson Valley-White Plains) #14 and #15 Corlandt Town Center-White Plains

(NJT)Buses

#319 New York-Atlantic City

CT Transit

Stamford-New Haven

Greyhound

NY-Tampa Bay

NY-San Diego(1-way) and I flew back.

So I guess I am the winner on the most milage on buses lol.

bold #2: I know you're joking w/ that general stance... well, at least I hope so....

The one thing I don't do in this community, is boast about how many buses I been on compared to someone else... showing off is just not how I roll (pun unintended)....

bold #1:

What CTTransit bus goes from Stamford to New Haven ???

^^ I always found the park av stretch of the B61 (well, the current 62 now) to be the least problematic.... it's the stint in greenpoint/williamsburg where it feels like an eternity....

but yeh, from end to end on the old 61 on most days was a long drawn out ride....

The S78, even with an O5, that line is torture. Only 1 hour from the S89 terminal from St.George, thats stupidly long.

x22, I've also wanted to do that as well, gotta get one good sounding MCI that also got the speed to do what it does best and you are in for a show!

QM10.....you wont regret it :cool: Although his days on the QM1 were rather fun as well.

The S89 doesn't start from St George. It starts at Hylan Blvd/Richmond Avenue and goes up Richmond Avenue until it goes onto Route 440 into Bayonne.

this thread is getting more replies than I thought...

you aint kiddin... those damned things appear like wildfire now...

during lunchtime, heading to mcdonalds (the one over there by e 8th & 6th, across from staples), it's not uncommon to see 4-5 of em passing by w/i a 1/2 hour period (usually how long I stay & eat in).... the old M5' were no where close to being that frequent....

I actually don't miss the M6.... lol...

One time I rode it from 125th/Lenox to 125th/Lex.... looping around (never having gotten off in) Queens

(it never really "terminated" inside LGA [i find that some M60's do, some buses don't...]... the bus I was on that day, just stalled whilst in the Marine Air Terminal for like 5 mins., man was that bus packed !)

- QM10 I've rode on a couple occasions... your typical express route... not a bad ride, though.... I always get off over there across the street from lefrak; over there in the 90's (st)....

- S78 end to end, I actually favor over the S74... for a few reasons...

I'll list em if anyone cares enough...

- agree w/ your assessment of the S89... lets just say I wasn't disappointed when I finally got around to taking this route....

- yep yep, about the x22... it's my 2nd favorite exp. route in all of NYC (x19 is first).... I'm usually the only poor soul that gets off @ hylan/page (last stop), over there by the baseball field... maybe I'll ride it sometime this week again....

- Qbx1 is feast or famine with me...

meaning, the ride to me is okay b/w flushing & pelham bay park (PBP)...

But the ride from flushing, to PBP, then in & around co-op, back to PBP... no thanks.. I'll never do that again...

You're right. The M5 is definitely more frequent than the M6. I think it is a little too frequent south of 14th Street.

By the way, what makes the S74 better than the S78? Is it because the route is less congested?

Archived