"Riding on the Subway" - Music Video

Diamond D

A few years back, my brother and I made a music video with an NYC singer-songwriter named Jesse Malin, one of our favorite artists. We had known him for a while, and we just did this video for fun, but we were all pleased with how it turned out. Now, as for the train content:

We headed out to Queensboro Plaza and starting there, we spent the whole day filming subway scenes (out to Shea on the (7), up to Astoria on the (N), etc), plus the LIRR, and Jesse performing the song "Riding on the Subway." We were not hassled by the MTA (though we were nervous about filming indoors, thus only 1 scene underground), and it was a lot of fun to make. Also, as a railfan who doesn't spend much time in the city, I got to shoot a completely different type of RR action, which is always a nice change.

Anyway, if you're interested, I hope you like it!

Nick

I'm guessing the singer is Queens native?

I was curious to see what other tracks he had and did some research on Jesse Malin. It turns out he’s actually from Whitestone, Qns and “Riding on the Subway” is from his 2003 release “The Fine Art of Self Destruction”. Although he’s still relatively underground, (no pun intended), this guy has worked with some pretty big names. I enjoyed quite a few of his tracks…

PS – I figured it out; the hook reminds me of “Ms. Robinson”..:D

In response to Broad St. Belle’s post, yes, singer/songwriter Jesse Malin is originally from Queens and many of the songs on his first solo CD, The Fine Art of Self Destruction, reflect his New York City roots. Besides “Riding on the Subway,” the tracks “Brooklyn” and “Almost Grown” (about his childhood in Queens) also capture the flavor of New York with evocative vignettes of the City. Any New Yorker who likes rock music should give this CD a serious listen. Produced by Ryan Adams, it is in my opinion, one of the best CD’s to come out in the last five to ten years. I never tire of listening to it. For the life of me, I can’t understand why it isn’t better known, especially in the NYC area. The CD received good reviews and Malin’s work has been praised by some well-known musicians, including Bruce Springsteen, who, after hearing the CD, invited Malin to join him on stage for a set of holiday shows a few years back. (Incidently, Springsteen appears on Malin’s latest CD, Glitter in the Gutter.)

Archived