Clever Devices SmartBus system

Joel Up Front

The MTA site touts these things as being handicapped friendly... and they are! They also help if you've never ridden a route before and need to find a stop...

But it seems like a lot of bus operators don't like them and shut them off (including the external route announcements), so it's like riding a bus in the city, only the operators don't call out any stops.*

*Well, actually, early mornings on weekdays, there is this one B/O running the N16 from RF to Hempstead that apparently has been with LIB for a while (judging from the fact that one morning I saw him wearing an MTA uniform with the old school logo on it) that calls out every stop like they did in the old days. Maybe that's [LIB operator here whose name I cannot spell or pronounce]. I don't know.

I'm watching a video on YouTube of a guy that recorded a ride on the M16 in Manhattan on an O7 NG hybrid. I could see the sign (seemed smaller than LI's) displaying the date and time, but I don't know where those automated announcements are coming from...

The MTA site touts these things as being handicapped friendly... and they are! They also help if you've never ridden a route before and need to find a stop...

But it seems like a lot of bus operators don't like them and shut them off (including the external route announcements), so it's like riding a bus in the city, only the operators don't call out any stops.*

*Well, actually, early mornings on weekdays, there is this one B/O running the N16 from RF to Hempstead that apparently has been with LIB for a while (judging from the fact that one morning I saw him wearing an MTA uniform with the old school logo on it) that calls out every stop like they did in the old days. Maybe that's [LIB operator here whose name I cannot spell or pronounce]. I don't know.

I'm watching a video on YouTube of a guy that recorded a ride on the M16 in Manhattan on an O7 NG hybrid. I could see the sign (seemed smaller than LI's) displaying the date and time, but I don't know where those automated announcements are coming from...

at one point the clever devices announced all stops. now if you notice they only announce certain stops. and on alot of buses for LIB it dont work.. if we cant log on to the clever device we cant turn that on to announce stops..

And I read that only certain buses in certain boroughs (Manhattan crosstown trips, I believe) have Clever Devices as well..

I was on the N43 one day, bus #1631 and the CD's LED screen was completely missing, but the operator was able to get the announcements working...

And I read that only certain buses in certain boroughs (Manhattan crosstown trips, I believe) have Clever Devices as well..

I was on the N43 one day, bus #1631 and the CD's LED screen was completely missing, but the operator was able to get the announcements working...

the clever device was there but you didnt seen anything on the screen?

sometimes the screens contrast is unable to adjust and its so dark you cant see it well.

i thinks by tire rotation distance some how....

But then if the bus changes lanes a lot or takes a detour, everything will be messed up.

Unlike the subway, the distance between 2 locations is never exactly the same.

But then if the bus changes lanes a lot or takes a detour, everything will be messed up.

Unlike the subway, the distance between 2 locations is never exactly the same.

yes if we have a detour it messes it all up and we stop it and start it again once we get back on route.

changes lanes to me really doesn't mess it up.. but detours do...

I'm not only only the ©lever Device president but I'm also A Daily user of this Cool Speaker and it makes the MR Softee song real hot to hear:p

And I've seen that video of Shane's now, here's what I thought when I first saw it...

"OMG it's the ice cream man!

Aww, shit, it's that bus driver again."

Now I want some ice cream, yo...

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

How does the Clever Devices know where the bus is? GPS?

On the M16/M34, it announces every single stop and transfer points those routes make. Its part of the plan to make the 34 St corridor a mini-SBS, or something like that. Those NGs that have them are 3800-3829, and are on the M16/M34 99.9% of the time (there have been a few times where they were used on other routes) and use GPS to locate the buses. When they ran on other routes, it just showed the date & time, but that's rare now.

Now the problem with that (M16/M34) is that they are pre-service cuts and still show old transfer points, so the temporary solution they did was that it doesn't announce the transfer points, just the stop its at.

• 1 month later...

Note that this thread is about NEXT STOP announcements, not general announcements.

Why doesn't most of NYC have any sort of automated stop announcements? From what I've read, most of you would love it.... and it's pointless if bus operators leave it off or let it run behind or ahead.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

There's only 2 routes that have it and that's the M16/M34. IINM, eventually, it'll came to the others

Sometimes when I am on N6 Jamaica-bound, sometimes announcement came too late after entering Queens.

I agree announcement to be on at all times, especially for newcomers and tourists.

Some streets in Nassau County has tiny street sign or some intersection does not have stree sign.

Slightly little off-topic, even thought Bee-Line buses does not have STOP Announcement, some bus stops are located near street that has no street sign. I wish they could make Bee-Line bus stop with address that closest to bus stop.

I have been on Suffolk County Transit S41 bus which did not say "Now Approaching..."

Back to topic, M16/M34 have updated transfer announcement.

When the MTA replaces the bus radio system, Clever Devices will likely be installed in all buses.

The MTA and NYCDOT are Going Green

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) are employing the latest Clever Devices SmartBus™ technology to improve service along 34th Street in Manhattan. Clever Devices is demonstrating their SmartBus™ technology on 30 MTA buses running on the M34 and M16 routes. SmartBus™ improves accessibility and enhances rider comfort and convenience by providing next stop announcements on vehicles as well as real-time arrival information at eight bus shelters.

Note that this thread is about NEXT STOP announcements, not general announcements.

Why doesn't most of NYC have any sort of automated stop announcements? From what I've read, most of you would love it.... and it's pointless if bus operators leave it off or let it run behind or ahead.

Our (MTA) absolutely should have this. LBT in LA County has it. If they can do it, our (MTA) here most certainly can.

I merged both of your threads because they pretty much hit on the same topic.

A driver running ahead or behind doesn't really affect the actual system itself, and yes it is GPS based from what I understand.

I wonder how they end up out of sync with the stops, then.

I sure would love some Guide-a-Rides on the stops here on Long Island, and real time bus info...

Easy. GPS units can sometimes lag, or lose signal momentarily. I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

It'd still be moot if bus operators found the announcements annoying and shut them off, like a lot on Long Island do.

I watched a video of a Queens bus route once (I believe it was a Q5 or somewhere near where the bus runs) and I thought I'd heard the bus operator announce a stop over the bus' PA system.

Archived