MTA? No, MBTA! [45] (56k warning)

There is sufficient clearance for CNG buses in the Harvard busway, but the overhead trolley wires makes it too dangerous for them to enter. I've heard 2 theories as to why that is. One theory is if the trolley wire snaps and falls on a CNG bus, the fuel tanks can catch fire or explode. Another more commonly told theory is exhaust from CNG buses(which is supposedly flammable) tend to build up and pool inside the tunnel, and that introduces the danger of a spark from a trolley bus igniting the emissions.

Anyway, nice pictures. I like how you caught a trespasser on the Grand Junction Branch. Luckily for him the branch isn't used often during the day.

Awesome stuff! :tup:

CNG busses rarely are routed or allowed to go into tunnels, for the sole reason that they are carrying explosive fuel under pressure. Overhead wires are no reason, they could fall on any bus if such a tension failure should occur, however i feel that danger is much, much smaller and likely respective of the "just in case" clause so many public agencies have to maneuver with, sometimes to the detriment of the service given to the riding public. Dunno if this does that or not. I'd hope not!

- A

P.S. What's with naked dude on the ROW?

Nice shots!

But if they were to fall on a CNG bus, it could be a serious problem. If they fell on a diesel bus, it would be no big deal.

ok thanks guys i didnt know that! i guess OC Transpo will never get CNG ( we have tunnel station )

and again awesome photos!

Anyway, nice pictures. I like how you caught a trespasser on the Grand Junction Branch. Luckily for him the branch isn't used often during the day.

Cool pics!

Awesome stuff! :tup:

P.S. What's with naked dude on the ROW?

Nice shots!

NIce shots, I like trolleybuses ;)

and again awesome photos!

Thanks!

Archived