Those abandoned overpasses on the SIE

Joel Up Front

I know Robert Moses wanted ANOTHER expressway cutting through the middle of SI that would lead down to the Outerbridge Crossing, but extreme opposition from Staten Islanders led to only the southern half of the road (now Richmond Parkway) being built - the northern bit only has those annoying, decaying overpasses.

Does the DOT plan on ever removing them? I know construction vehicles use what would be the onramp from the Richmond Parkway onto the SIE, but those things look like they could fall at anytime. With traffic varying between snail's pace and "Oh look, the HOV lane is empty, so let's floor it down the lane" it doesn't look good...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I believe the abandoned overpasses you're talking about is in between the Clove Road and Slosson Avenue exits. I've read up about these some time ago and from the looks of it there are no plans to remove them at all. In addition, if you're driving or on a bus along Richmond Avenue coming from the mall, you'll see an overpass that was intended for the same plan, but it just sitting there unused. When the bus turns off Richmond to go into the transit center, before it makes the left turn into the center, you'll see the same overpass structure.

Archived