Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Which side of 2nd Ave is the MTA building the subway?

nightrider

Someone I work with lives on 2nd Avenue, and she is wondering if Phase 1 of the SAS is being built either on the center, the west side, or the east side of 2nd Av. I think it's being built on the center but by the looks of the construction I'm not sure. Either way, her dog are gonna be scared as hell for a very long time. She lives on the eastern side of the street.

From 2nd avenue its on the East. I think south of 79 its in the middle for a few blocks then ends

From driving down second avenue, it looks to be on the east side, but you can't see exactly what they're doing under grond. In some spots it could be in the middle because some stations will be single island platforms. It's a real shame they aren't building it right. For the first time they could have built a full line with two express tracks and a super express track, but money went ahead and ruined everything. With it just being one line built, there will still be overbearing crowds when it is fully done three hundred years from now. They really should build a 3 avenue subway as well if they ever finish the 2nd avenue one.

The west side has two 4 track lines (8 total). A 6 track 2Av line is probably not even needed, 4 would be sufficient. However, there are fewer stations on the 2Av line then on the Lex, and it also serves some major crosstown blocks that the Lex doesn't (like 72nd and eventually 106th). There doesn't have to be a 3rd trunk line on the east side, there's only two on the west side and the two serves them well. In the planning stages, it was decided not to have express service on 2Av and instead have more of a 'limited stop' setup where there are greater distances between stations. They hope to utilize new technology signals so that trains run close together and a separate set of tracks for express service won't be needed, saving money in the long run.

As far as the west side I just wish there was a 103rd st station on the 2/3 in that crosstown tube that offers a transfer to the CPW so the only ones arent at 59 (1 train only) and 168 (1 train only). To this date there is still no direct convenient way to get from the 7Av express to either 6Av or 8Av lines (I get that question asked a lot when working on the (2) or (3) ). Other then that quibble service is designed pretty well above Columbus Circle.

The west side has two 4 track lines (8 total). A 6 track 2Av line is probably not even needed, 4 would be sufficient. However, there are fewer stations on the 2Av line then on the Lex, and it also serves some major crosstown blocks that the Lex doesn't (like 72nd and eventually 106th). There doesn't have to be a 3rd trunk line on the east side, there's only two on the west side and the two serves them well. In the planning stages, it was decided not to have express service on 2Av and instead have more of a 'limited stop' setup where there are greater distances between stations. They hope to utilize new technology signals so that trains run close together and a separate set of tracks for express service won't be needed, saving money in the long run.

As far as the west side I just wish there was a 103rd st station on the 2/3 in that crosstown tube that offers a transfer to the CPW so the only ones arent at 59 (1 train only) and 168 (1 train only). To this date there is still no direct convenient way to get from the 7Av express to either 6Av or 8Av lines (I get that question asked a lot when working on the (2) or (3) ). Other then that quibble service is designed pretty well above Columbus Circle.

I grew up on the upper east side. It's pretty crowded, and more so now with all the new buildings built since 2000. remember also you have Wast End Ave to 5 avenue there. 8 avenues in total. the west side just has 6 I think, 7 if you count Broadway. I think a 10 or 11 Avenue line would do well for the west side as well. Have you ever tried walking from 12 aveune to 8th avenue. Mama MIA! Those are some long avenues. An express line would have been great, but yes money desttoys the best of well laid plans, or rather lack of money. It's not just about the manhattan part of second avenue I think deserved express tracks, I was thinking that if it ever becomes a bronx and/or brooklyn line, express tracks would be good, and then they could branch out into multpile lines to better serve BX. Obviously it's just opinion, but I still think a 2 ave 3 ave and lex ave hat trick of subways would do a lot of good, but again lack of money is the problem. Better yet, ridiculous costs is the real problem.

Most of the SAS is being built down the center of 2nd Avenue, or I should say is centered down the center line of 2nd Avenue. The reason why the construction seems on one side or the other of the road is because work needs to be done on both sides (where the stations are) to relocate utilities that are currently in the path of the proposed line, so they work on one side of the road at a time to keep the flow of traffic.

If you check out the MTACC Second Avenue Site ( http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/ ) they have a somewhat up to date schedule of the work being done, as well as various documents about the project.

Most of the SAS is being built down the center of 2nd Avenue, or I should say is centered down the center line of 2nd Avenue. The reason why the construction seems on one side or the other of the road is because work needs to be done on both sides (where the stations are) to relocate utilities that are currently in the path of the proposed line, so they work on one side of the road at a time to keep the flow of traffic.

If you check out the MTACC Second Avenue Site ( http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/ ) they have a somewhat up to date schedule of the work being done, as well as various documents about the project.

That's what I figured, but I had no way to be sure.

Wait a sec.......Doesn't the west side of Manhattan actually have four trunk lines and not two:

*Sixth Avenue (two tracks on lower level 34th Street-Herald Square to West Fourth Street-Washington Square)

*Seventh Avenue

*Eighth Avenue

*Broadway (West 28th Street north) (Four tracks to 96th Street)

And then north of Central Park briefly widens back to three:

*Lenox Avenue (Minister Malcolm X Boulevard) (Two tracks)

*CPW/Eighth Avenue/Saint Nicholas Avenue (Four tracks to 168th Street)

*Broadway (Three tracks intermittenly 96th Street to 168th Street and north of West 215th Street)

Plus PATH on Sixth Avenue?

If built, the East Side would have three:

*Lexington/Fourth Avenues

*Second Avenue

*Broadway (23d Street south)

Though Broadway is very short (23d, 14th, 8th Streets).

Wait a sec.......Doesn't the west side of Manhattan actually have four trunk lines and not two:

*Sixth Avenue

*Seventh Avenue

*Eighth Avenue

*Broadway (West 28th Street north)

And then north of Central Park briefly widens back to three:

*Lenox Avenue (Minister Malcolm X Boulevard)

*CPW/Eighth Avenue/Saint Nicholas Avenue

*Broadway

Plus PATH on Sixth Avenue?

If built, the East Side would have three:

*Lexington/Fourth Avenues

*Second Avenue

*Broadway (23d Street south)

Though Broadway is very short (23d, 14th, 8th Streets).

We were referring to 59 street to 110 street on the east and west side.

Thanks everyone for the useful info! I'm a bit disappointed about the SAS only having 2 tracks, but any new line east of Lexington would be a sigh of relief for (4),(5),(6). I'm wondering is what would happen if they would need to expand it past 2nd Ave. I used to go to high school on the FDR, and man walking from Lexington everyday was not fun.

Is it at least possible to build a lower level?

Well if the 6th ave subway was built while the 6 ave elevated was still on top, then anything could be possible. My guess, just a guess, is if below it is solid bedrock then maybe they can go in deeper later with the boring (spell check) macines and build something there under. Money and bad planning always screw this stuff up. You build for today's need, but have to think about the future as well. Think about all those 3 track lines if they had 4 tracks? Also, once the 2nd ave line is built, people WILL use it. What happens then is the property around second and 1st ave becomes even more valuable than it already is because there is a train station near by. You will see some of those town houses disappear and replaced with 30 floor high rises. What happens then? More crowds. Then there might be a need for a 1st ave subway, or a 3 ave subway, or a 2 ave expansion. They aren't thinking ahead. Then again, it's amazing what's being built is even being built.

Though some of those spurs will never happen. A (T) might not be able to fit the car consist of the Williamsburg Bridge. The Manhattan Bridge is full. Court St and a new tunnel is impossible. Ave C is useless as it is on the map because the (T) is not need on Eighth Av. Though Ave C could be built as the never built IND Worth Street Line with a new service from Second and Eighth Av and with extensions to the never built IND Utica Av Line. The most possible extension is to the Broad St Tunnel to replace the former (Mx) service in Brooklyn. One thing though I find stupid is that they are building Second Av as a 2 track configuration. If they look at the (L) they wouldn't be doing that. So in the future only two services can run on Second Av. With no express trains. This should be a four track layout with one going to LaGuardia. So basically a future Second Avenue layout would be like this because of only two tracks.

(Q)- Coney Island-125th St.

(T)- Bay Parkway-125th St. (If it ever gets to there)

(U)- Floyd Bennett Field-55th St. (If they ever get there and build the Ave C spur using the IND Worth/Utica format).

Archived