Brooklyn Bridge construction starts keeping Manhattan-bound lanes closed nights

Shortline Bus

Brooklyn Bridge construction starts Aug. 23, keeping Manhattan-bound lanes closed nights till 2014

BY Samuel Goldsmith

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, August 14th 2010

A massive rehab of the Brooklyn Bridge will begin Aug. 23, keeping Manhattan-bound lanes closed most nights until 2014.

Manhattan-bound lanes will close Monday through Friday from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., Saturdays from 12:01 a.m. to 7 a.m. and Sundays from 12:01 a.m. to 9 a.m., according to the city's Department of Transportation.

Brooklyn-bound lanes and pedestrian paths will stay open during construction. Cars leaving Brooklyn will be directed to the Manhattan Bridge.

The $508 million job will double the capacity of two clogged ramps, replace rotting pavement and repaint steel to prevent corrosion.

The rehab will cost the city $286 million, officials said. The remaining funds will come from the federal government, including $30 million from the stimulus bill.

The project will employ hundreds of New Yorkers, Mayor Bloomberg has said, and marks the first major construction on the bridge in a decade.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/14/2010-08-14_4_yrs_of_bklyn_bridge_traffic_hell_starts_aug_23.html#ixzz0weyuoAIl

Brooklyn Bridge > Manhattan Bridge.

The Manhattan bridge is a lost cause.....

The Manhattan bridge is one of the nicest rides to and from Brooklyn, both levels ever since they did the work to the roadways. Brooklyn bridge is only for cars so I don't take it while I'm working but all the 4 wheelers run to the Brooklyn bridge like its going out of style to get into Manhattan or B.K while jamming the shit out of the b.q.e or f.d.r drive.

I feel like people are forgetting that the TA just retrofitted and repaired the Manhattan Bridge. The Manhattan Bridge already has a flaw. Whenever heavy moves by the bridge sways too much. It has to do with the tracks and the roadways being on left and right sides of the bridge's deck. It's also not ok for the Williamsburg Bridge. The bridge is way too narrow for today's cars. The only way to solve this heavy traffic and damage is to built two new bridges. One south of the Willy B but North of the Manhattan B. The other one is west of the Manhattan B and east of the Brooklyn B. It would help with the heavy traffic and would allow the tracks to be removed from the Manny B.

Brooklyn Bridge > Manhattan Bridge.

The Manhattan bridge is a lost cause.....

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite bridges but it loses cool points for having a 3 ton weight limit (yes, I realize it was built in 1883). The Manhattan Bridge doesn't get enough credit. It carries 4 subway lines. The bridge has a design flaw but that was rectified in the 1980's. Despite its design flaw, the Manhattan Bridge is one of the strongest bridges in the city. The Williamsburg Bridge is the ugliest bridge ever built.

The Williamsburg bridge at one point was in danger of collapse due to neglect.

You want to stop the flexing, there are many ways to do it.

All 3 east river suspension bridges are amazing, the QB is amazing too. I think if you saw them from the seaport or the staten island ferry you'd get a better view of what they do to the city visually. Ride the tramway too.

Eventually they will need to replace the main cables and the road deck, but not for another several generations.

- A

They must've done good work in those days:

*Brooklyn Bridge since 1883;

*Willy B. since 1903

*Manny B. since 1909

*Queensborough (the 59th Street Bridge) since 1909

Even the "newest" bridges are getting up there:

*George Washington Bridge

*Triborough Bridge

*Bronx-Whitestone Bridge

*Cross Bay Bridge

*Throgs Neck Bridge

*Verazzano Narrows Bridge

Makes one stop and realize how dependant New York City is on her bridges and tunnels.

They must've done good work in those days:

*Brooklyn Bridge since 1883;

*Willy B. since 1903

*Manny B. since 1909

*Queensborough (the 59th Street Bridge) since 1909

Even the "newest" bridges are getting up there:

*George Washington Bridge

*Triborough Bridge

*Bronx-Whitestone Bridge

*Cross Bay Bridge

*Throgs Neck Bridge

*Verazzano Narrows Bridge

Makes one stop and realize how dependant New York City is on her bridges and tunnels.

Not to netpick EE but the Triboro is now known as the RFK Triboro Bridge. I think Gov Paterson and previous Gov. Spitzer would scream at you ;)for making that error of their political hero as young men.

Back to serious point. You also make a good point on how NYC really needs the bridges and tunnels to connect within NYC and to the outside world.

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite bridges but it loses cool points for having a 3 ton weight limit (yes, I realize it was built in 1883). The Manhattan Bridge doesn't get enough credit. It carries 4 subway lines. The bridge has a design flaw but that was rectified in the 1980's. Despite its design flaw, the Manhattan Bridge is one of the strongest bridges in the city. The Williamsburg Bridge is the ugliest bridge ever built.

Get enough credit... lol... they've been "fixing" that damn thing before I was born, and will continue "fixing" it to the date of my death.... I mean, will we ever see bi-directional traffic on the lower level ever again ???

The fact that so many subway lines (so many TPH) utilize the bridge, will end up leading to its demise....

I tell you one thing.

I don't want to be around when that happens...

as for the williamsburg, that bridge is an eyesore to look at...

when I'm driving:

- on the lower level of the verrazano, I feel like I'm in a sardine can

- on the williamsburg, I feel like I'm driving through a prison

- on the triboro (bronx bound, from manhattan), I feel like I'm riding a rollercoaster....

- on the manhattan, well shit, I have to play "guess which level I HAVE to take b/c the level I WANT to take, has traffic flowing in the opposite direction of which I'm driving in..."

9 times out of 10, I'm driving over the brooklyn bridge when I'm traveling to/from manhattan... I'll deal w/ brooklyn bridge blvd (adams st) before I deal with flatbush av extension any day of the week.... god how I despise flatbush av ext; crossing it, walking adjacent to it, and driving on it.....

rant...

end

Get enough credit... lol... they've been "fixing" that damn thing before I was born, and will continue "fixing" it to the date of my death.... I mean, will we ever see bi-directional traffic on the lower level ever again ???

The fact that so many subway lines (so many TPH) utilize the bridge, will end up leading to its demise....

I tell you one thing.

I don't want to be around when that happens.

Could the Manny B. collapse with a subway train on it?

Archived