Westchester/Rockland County Housing Question?

Shortline Bus

As most of you know I am a licensed Teacher Asst. who lives in the Mid Hudson River Valley near Poughkeepsie and have a question about housing myself.

I am very close to getting another job in Westchester/Rockland Counties as I won't mention the school district until it becomes offical. I had an interview on Friday 8/13/10. There also chance I might be staying here upstate as well as I have more interviews in next couple of weeks.

If I get this job, I am plan on moving to Westchester/Rockland but the prices for 1-bedroom apartments in most of this area are almost NYC rates.

I know some about Westchester as I have busfanned for years on Beeline.

However, other than the Palasides Mall I don't know Rockland that well.

Any advice guys on towns/areas that is 'safe' and under $900 a month? My preference is to be in area near White Plains. The areas i hear that not great are West Side/Downtown Yonkers and Downtown Mt Vernon.

Help please.:confused: Thanks in Advance.

sign up to city-data's forums... go in the Westchester section.. ask your question there, and leave for a few days before you check back on it.... watch the amount of replies saying, you're not gonna find anything near that price range for what you're looking for, in the vast majority of Westchester....

....and they would be absolutely right.

--------------------------------------

Trust me, you don't want to live in white plains... don't let the downtown area fool you... outside of its commercial areas, it's not to be desired....

I can't think of an area immediately around white plains where you'd find a place in that range.... only thing that comes to mind is maybe out in Elmsford (north of Tarrytown Rd)....

you could get something in peekskill for 900, but it's getting worse out there...

far as rockland county....

most of haverstraw, and portions of spring valley aren't to be desired... same goes for parts of west nyack (this is where palisades mall is btw)...

I don't know, you can take a look into nyack (the more "urban" part of the town, b/c the uppity part of nyack you can't afford), congers (which seems to be a hotspot all of a sudden), suffern (preferably south of the RR station), and all the way out there in hillburn....

if there's anything in particular you're looking for in a community other than price range & safety (that you don't want to discuss out in the open), I'll try to help you out more than what I already have via PM or whatever....

^^ other than that, if you have any questions on what I said in this post,

Ask.

I go to West Nyack, Haverstraw almost everyday and its a depressing shithole town. Your not going to find anything decent @ $900 a month.

depressing shithole towns... but you know they're two separate areas... lol...

I have to agree with you on that, though....

depressing shithole towns... but you know they're two separate areas... lol...

I have to agree with you on that, though....

I forgot the S excuse me:o, All that area is good for is the rock quarries wich I visit everyday, keeps the concrete industry pumping. And by the way, the stone I pick up in Nyack or the Haverstraw quarries and gong to a concrete plant wich is pouring to make the new "Freedom Towers"

sign up to city-data's forums... go in the Westchester section.. ask your question there, and leave for a few days before you check back on it.... watch the amount of replies saying, you're not gonna find anything near that price range for what you're looking for, in the vast majority of Westchester....

....and they would be absolutely right.

--------------------------------------

Trust me, you don't want to live in white plains... don't let the downtown area fool you... outside of its commercial areas, it's not to be desired....

I can't think of an area immediately around white plains where you'd find a place in that range.... only thing that comes to mind is maybe out in Elmsford (north of Tarrytown Rd)....

you could get something in peekskill for 900, but it's getting worse out there...

far as rockland county....

most of haverstraw, and portions of spring valley aren't to be desired... same goes for parts of west nyack (this is where palisades mall is btw)...

I don't know, you can take a look into nyack (the more "urban" part of the town, b/c the uppity part of nyack you can't afford), congers (which seems to be a hotspot all of a sudden), suffern (preferably south of the RR station), and all the way out there in hillburn....

if there's anything in particular you're looking for in a community other than price range & safety (that you don't want to discuss out in the open), I'll try to help you out more than what I already have via PM or whatever....

^^ other than that, if you have any questions on what I said in this post,

Ask.

Yikes. For those prices you better off living in NYC's 5 boroughs. Another option is I am looking at the Northern Bronx and either drive or take Metro North up there. Or a wild card and look at Brewster, NY/Danbury as well.

One thing about living in Dutchess County the prices for apts. and homes here are very affordable.

^^ yep, pretty much...

I'd say, although westchester is more dense than rockland, housing prices are very similar in a lot of areas... the major difference is that you pay more/higher taxes in westchester.....

yeh, from what I hear, as you're going north towards putnam, dutchess, columbia, greene, ulster, etc counties, the cost of living is rather low.... of course, you sacrifice any type of fun-filled activities/nightlife/excitement, living in seclusion & peace and quiet..... people move upstate generally due to the high cost of living in NYC; well that, and you get a lot more land for much less money....

as opposed to long islanders hauling ass down south in droves (and later come to find out, maryland/ DC/ north carolina isn't the paradise they thought it was), then come back to NY in some form or fashion.... but that's another topic....

Archived