R62A 2270-66

RTOMan

I was along the (1) today and I managed to see every other set but 2270-66. Saw 2271, 2264. 2370 ect ect... Guess it was in the yard today or something.

lol i feel ur pain... it always happens to me..... still can't wait for that vid of 2270.... might catch it myself next week though....:cool:

That may have been the set sent to C.I. Shops last week. Seen it moving through the West End middle, South Bound, and yes, those new Motors and Journal Bearings do sounds pretty nice.
Wait, did they changed the motors of those cars from the Westinghouse 1447J to something different and did changing the Journal Bearing remove that annoying airplane noise?

Wait, did they changed the motors of those cars from the Westinghouse 1447J to something different and did changing the Journal Bearing remove that annoying airplane noise?

the motors themselves remain the same, it's just the electrical equipment connected to them that has been replaced. i don't know about the bearings...

the motors themselves remain the same, it's just the electrical equipment connected to them that has been replaced. i don't know about the bearings...

I don't know about this specific situation with those R62A's, but the R62 fleet which had GE SCM propulsion control switch groups are having them replaced with WH Ecam groups, and new grids accordingly.

And yes you're correct in speaking about a switch group as equipment connected to motors. It's an oversimplification but the switch group is what takes the low voltage electrical connections made up in the master controller, which are trainlined, and uses it to move high voltage contacts that make up the high voltage connections in the car which provide 600 to the motors. On a DC motor subway car (non tech train) the switch group also connects in the resistor grid banks and gradually drops them out to achieve full acceleration of the car, providing a smooth acceleration until the train reaches top speed. That's why on the R62's the grids need to be changed too, because they're part of the motor control circuit and it's slightly different for SCM vs. the newer E-cam groups.

Same type of motors, but new. That annoying air plane noise your talking about is the Air Conditioning unit, they were installed a couple years ago when they undergone an SMS Program. Along with new flooring too.

Same type of motors, but new. That annoying air plane noise your talking about is the Air Conditioning unit, they were installed a couple years ago when they undergone an SMS Program. Along with new flooring too.

i'm not entirely sure that's what he's talking about...but i believe he's refering to the noise that accompanies the acceleration on a range of cars including the R68s and R44's...

go to 1:10 and start listening from there....

i'm not entirely sure that's what he's talking about...but i believe he's refering to the noise that accompanies the acceleration on a range of cars including the R68s and R44's...

This has been posted here before, metallurgical quirk with the gears on those cars which bounce around the fleet. Completely harmless. If a gear without the quirk was substituted the noise will stop.

I don't know about this specific situation with those R62A's, but the R62 fleet which had GE SCM propulsion control switch groups are having them replaced with WH Ecam groups, and new grids accordingly.

And yes you're correct in speaking about a switch group as equipment connected to motors. It's an oversimplification but the switch group is what takes the low voltage electrical connections made up in the master controller, which are trainlined, and uses it to move high voltage contacts that make up the high voltage connections in the car which provide 600 to the motors. On a DC motor subway car (non tech train) the switch group also connects in the resistor grid banks and gradually drops them out to achieve full acceleration of the car, providing a smooth acceleration until the train reaches top speed. That's why on the R62's the grids need to be changed too, because they're part of the motor control circuit and it's slightly different for SCM vs. the newer E-cam groups.

Wait, they are giving the Kawasaki R62s E-Cams? And BTW, Westinghouse does not exist anymore. It left the electronics and transit business and gave its transit division to Adtranz, which also folded and sold themselves to Bombardier.

Wait, they are giving the Kawasaki R62s E-Cams? And BTW, Westinghouse does not exist anymore. It left the electronics and transit business and gave its transit division to Adtranz, which also folded and sold themselves to Bombardier.

I know that but in many circles it is still referred to as Westinghouse. Adtranz doesn't "exist" either in the same way yet you'll hear lots of people refer to Adtranz propulsion on certain car types also. It's a recognizable brand name.

Sort of like how no one really acknowledges that the New York Giants are technically a New Jersey team.

Archived