NYTimes: Metro-North Is Considering Double-Decker Trains

ripple

I wonder which model they would get, the c3's from the LIRR or that double decker thing that runs on NJ transit

If MTA purchases C3 for Metro-North Railroad, they have to rebuild Manitou, Breakneck Ridge, and Appalachian Trail stations from low level to high level, as C3 only accomodates high level platforms, so it probably is not going to be C3.

In my opinion, I do not think it is going to be Multi Level (NJ Transit) either. I do not know why, though...

If MTA purchases C3 for Metro-North Railroad, they have to rebuild Manitou, Breakneck Ridge, and Appalachian Trail stations from low level to high level, as C3 only accomodates high level platforms, so it probably is not going to be C3.

In my opinion, I do not think it is going to be Multi Level (NJ Transit) either. I do not know why, though...

not necisarily, they could also just abandon those stations if the ridership is very low which is what the LIRR did to some diesel territory stations

Considering the C3s were built in 1997 or sometime around then, they were custom built for the LIRR, and the fact that they aren't low level compatible, I don't think we'll be seeing them on MN. Not to mention the incessant door problems and cab car failures that we love ever so much. But they do ride very well...

Because they basically already run with NJ Tranist-type equipment. Imagine a Multilevel with a big blue (or red) stripe going through it.

If you are able to choose the name or model number for these double decker trains for Metro-North Railroad, what will you call them?

I would call them C4 after a custom built C3 double decker for Long Island Rail Road built in 1997-1999, and tentative (does not exist) Shoreliner V technically (not necessarily) may be single level.

Well MNRR has been thinking about this for a very long time but haven't made it a priority because If they were put into service they would only be able to run on the two express tracks going into GCT through the Park Ave Tunnels. If they did go through with this they would probably be custom made.

not necisarily, they could also just abandon those stations if the ridership is very low which is what the LIRR did to some diesel territory stations

Hmmmm...

Only two trains stop in Manitou every day, a south bound in the AM and north bound in the PM. As for Breakneck Ridge and Appalachian Trail, possibly two trains stop there in either direction on weekends only as hikers primarily use these stations. How high can the ridership be?

Maybe the master plan by the (MTA) if they brought these trains is one of the two options. 1)Run trains on Upper Hudson Line stations every 2 hours on late Sunday evenings. 2)Merge the separte Yankee Stadium Specials into service with regular service. I am serious.:confused:

If anything and I am a regular Hudson line user, at least some of these double decker trains in addition to the new M8 should be placed on the Harlem and New Haven lines as well.

The Hudson Line on upper Hudson stations just needs slightly better headways such as 30 minute headways on Weekdays and Saturdays at least until 1240pm

GCT-Bound and Poughkeepsie-Bound until 9pm (except Sundays) as well before needing Double Decker trains IMO.

Hmmmm...

Only two trains stop in Manitou every day, a south bound in the AM and north bound in the PM. As for Breakneck Ridge and Appalachian Trail, possibly two trains stop there in either direction on weekends only as hikers primarily use these stations. How high can the ridership be?

its the same thing when Mill Neck, Manorville, Southhampton College and the Lower Montauk stations (richmond hill, haberman, etc) were up for being retired, is it worth keeping them open or are there alternatives that will work better

These stations have LL platforms:

Manitou

Breakneck Ridge

Appalachian Trail

Merrit-7

All of the Waterbury branch except for Waterbury station.

If the cars can run into GCT, there should be no problem getting them under NHL catenary.

Even if Metro-North did go with the bilevel car idea, they have to consider the clearance through the Park Ave tunnels and they have to be within the same height as a P32AC. Rememeber that the bilevels you see on the LIRR and NJT were built specifically for their railroads.

Even if Metro-North did go with the bilevel car idea, they have to consider the clearance through the Park Ave tunnels and they have to be within the same height as a P32AC. Rememeber that the bilevels you see on the LIRR and NJT were built specifically for their railroads.

Bombarider is now offering them on their site as built models

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/commuter-and-regional-trains/double-deck-coaches/multi-level-north-america?docID=0901260d8002952f

These stations have LL platforms:

Manitou

Breakneck Ridge

Appalachian Trail

Merrit-7

All of the Waterbury branch except for Waterbury station.

If the cars can run into GCT, there should be no problem getting them under NHL catenary.

With the exception of Merritt 7, the stations you listed have low ridership and low usage in general. Plus the article makes no mention of them going on the New Haven Line, the line that Merritt 7 and the Waterbury Branch falls under.

With the exception of Merritt 7, the stations you listed have low ridership and low usage in general. Plus the article makes no mention of them going on the New Haven Line, the line that Merritt 7 and the Waterbury Branch falls under.

If MNR uses the Mulilevels then can also be used at low level stations as NJ and AMT's can both be used at low and high level platforms

It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. The most likely scenario I see happening is MTA purchasing them as a replacement for the Shoreliners, although I highly doubt CDOT will be involved in the purchase this time around.

If MNR uses the Mulilevels then can also be used at low level stations as NJ and AMT's can both be used at low and high level platforms

That's another thing. This sounds ub3r preliminary, so as far as we know, Metro North can get anything to accommodate the low level platforms. Or not, who knows.

I'd say the options are limited to the bomby MLV due to them being the only affordable car being manufactured at the moment that works with the loading gauge (AMTRAK) and the power used on that system.

- A

Archived