A Suggestion for Bus Stops with a Large Number of Routes

NX Express

At bus stops with a large number of routes, I think it would be a good idea to install a "punchbox" to request the route which is desired. When selected, the route on top of the bus sign pole would light up, helping the bus operator identify whether he/she needs to stop at the bus stop. This idea would lessen problems when a bus driver stops at a stop (blocking it meanwhile), then realizes nobody wants to get on, and drives away.

P.S. Before anyone mentions money concerns, this could be implemented/tested whenever the economy gets better.

At bus stops with a large number of routes, I think it would be a good idea to install a "punchbox" to request the route which is desired. When selected, the route on top of the bus sign pole would light up, helping the bus operator identify whether he/she needs to stop at the bus stop. This idea would lessen problems when a bus driver stops at a stop (blocking it meanwhile), then realizes nobody wants to get on, and drives away.

P.S. Before anyone mentions money concerns, this could be implemented/tested whenever the economy gets better.

or person at bus stop just raises there hand when they see bus they want.. cost for this $ 0

Doesn't always work...when someone does not raise their hand, buses usually pull over anyway.

that drivers needs to be retrained.

i slow down and look for signals to people standing there. i dont stop unless i get a signal they want the bus. as a bus operator you develop the sense when someone wants your bus.

its no different then someone ringing the bell on the bus only to stop and they want the next stop...

There are a few problems:

If a bus is already at the stop, the driver in the back may not be able to see the sign light up.

If a person presses the button and the bus shows up, how does it turn off once the person gets on the bus? If the sign only lights up as long as the person presses the button, that is really no different than a person waving their arm to signal the bus to stop.

Silly idea! I've gotten use to it. Being a B/O is very annoying at times, but I love it because I see some very pretty ladies. Giving the driver a signal to stop is the best thing. I stop anyway because you never know when some passenger will report you that you didnt stop.

Not a bad idea. It has its merits.

If the "punchbox" were solar powered, the only costs would be paying the labor who initially install it & the occasional inspection by techs.

Silly idea! I've gotten use to it. Being a B/O is very annoying at times, but I love it because I see some very pretty ladies. Giving the driver a signal to stop is the best thing. I stop anyway because you never know when some passenger will report you that you didnt stop.

Is it a rule for passengers to hail to signal for the bus for NJT?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Good idea but a few problems...

1. How will it turn off when the person gets on the bus?

2. How will it be protected from vandalism? ie. Kids pushing the button just cuz its there

3. What if there's a bus already at the bus stop and a person wants another bus? How will the 2nd bus driver know?

4. Why would it light up in the daytime? Wouldn't the sun render it useless?

that drivers needs to be retrained.

i slow down and look for signals to people standing there. i dont stop unless i get a signal they want the bus. as a bus operator you develop the sense when someone wants your bus.

1. Makes sense, but then there's always the chance that there will be a mistake...

I stop anyway because you never know when some passenger will report you that you didnt stop.

And what turns the light off?

2. The system would be similar to +SBS+ traffic light priority. When the bus stops at a stop, the bus would emit a signal to the stop, telling the light to turn off. This signal would be designed to not travel very far, to prevent it from affecting other bus stops.

There are a few problems:

If a bus is already at the stop, the driver in the back may not be able to see the sign light up.

3. The sign could be moved back, and the bus would stop ahead of it. This way, there would only be a problem when two buses are at the stop, which is probably not too frequent.

If a person presses the button and the bus shows up, how does it turn off once the person gets on the bus? If the sign only lights up as long as the person presses the button, that is really no different than a person waving their arm to signal the bus to stop.

4. See response #2.

(T)his is A Retarded idea ,Lets not make it anymore harder then it already is .Ring the bell ,You get off /Peeps in the Stand get picked up (E)nd of Story

5. Thanks so much for the help! If the "peeps in the stand" want a different bus, the bus often stops anyway, which is a problem.

6. See response #2.

2. How will it be protected from vandalism? ie. Kids pushing the button just cuz its there

7. That's a problem that's nearly impossible to resolve. Fines and punishments seem to be the only solution, but sometimes they don't work either.

3. What if there's a bus already at the bus stop and a person wants another bus? How will the 2nd bus driver know?

See response #3.

During the day, it could have some other lighting effect, such as changing color.

1. Makes sense, but then there's always the chance that there will be a mistake...

2. The system would be similar to +SBS+ traffic light priority. When the bus stops at a stop, the bus would emit a signal to the stop, telling the light to turn off. This signal would be designed to not travel very far, to prevent it from affecting other bus stops.

3. The sign could be moved back, and the bus would stop ahead of it. This way, there would only be a problem when two buses are at the stop, which is probably not too frequent.

4. See response #2.

5. Thanks so much for the help! If the "peeps in the stand" want a different bus, the bus often stops anyway, which is a problem.

6. See response #2.

7. That's a problem that's nearly impossible to resolve. Fines and punishments seem to be the only solution, but sometimes they don't work either.

See response #3.

During the day, it could have some other lighting effect, such as changing color.

the idea sound nice as a idea but it wont work.

passengers waving there hand ,arm or something is a much better solution. and that doesn't cost anything.

i can see these being installed and the light always on because kids walking past it press the button. this idea reminds me in queens on the corners the fire boxes where you press a button to get fire help. i dont know how many times i pressed those when i was a kid. same thing will happen if these are at bus stops.

passengers waving there hand ,arm or something is a much better solution. and that doesn't cost anything.

i can see these being installed and the light always on because kids walking past it press the button. this idea reminds me in queens on the corners the fire boxes where you press a button to get fire help. i dont know how many times i pressed those when i was a kid. same thing will happen if these are at bus stops.

If they are smaller kids with parents, then the parents should be able to keep them away.

If they are older, there should just be a plainclothes cop monitoring a few bus stops, with astronomical fines for those who get caught.The business would even be profitable if the fines are high enough.

It doesn't sound too bad. But it's also starting to sound real labor intensive. Then What if the sign stops working, or a bulb goes out and the buses start passing people up? I think the old fashioned way of waving the driver over is much more effective, and less complicated. In some cities on streets with multiple routes, the driver may not stop at all unless you hail him/her. And on streets like 5th and Madison, Fulton and Flatbush in Brooklyn, several streets in the other boroughs (especially Staten Island and Queens) you may have 3, 4, or 5 buses in a line. Then it would defeat the whole purpose of the sign.

If they are smaller kids with parents, then the parents should be able to keep them away.

If they are older, there should just be a plainclothes cop monitoring a few bus stops, with astronomical fines for those who get caught.The business would even be profitable if the fines are high enough.

it would never get the green light. only because of the cost. plainclothes cops watching bus stops to see if a passer by presses the button.. that will never happen.

That wouldn't work...especially in the case that the bus operator can't see the indicator until it's too late. The bus sign is bright enough so riders can see the bus, signal for it and get the hell on. It's already bad enough that some bells don't work on a bus so a passenger has to call out their stop...at the very last minute (Grrr!) resulting in a disgruntled bus operator.

In addition, I agree with what another poster said...this new system would get abused to the point that it would be pulled in a heartbeat.

You know what.... I have to do a 180 on this. I change my mind. With a little bit of money to play with and a sound plan......future.... This could be the best thing ever invented.

So let's take NX's plan.

*Keep it the way it is, but at the bus stop have mini MVM's on the pole. Say parking meter size. Accepts fare electronically, and only by Metrocard or PayPass.

*Upon payment, the light activates, and it also sends a signal to the approaching bus of your choice. If that bus is full, and the driver has coded in NEXT BUS PLEASE, your light will flash as the bus approaches, then return to normal to let the next bus know.

*This will drastically improve operations, as well as reduce headways and dwell times. It will also eliminate fareboxes, and the need for the driver to manually change the destination sign. All metrocards will be reloadable. If you go to a standard size MVM, or subway booth to reload, and your stripe is wearing out, you will automatically be issued a new one. Metrocards will now be customizable. If your card is lost or stolen, it can be deactivated immediately by computer or phone, and a new one can be issued on the spot. If it is stolen and used, the fare will be denied unless the user goes to a booth or standard MVM and enters the pen code. Thus saving large amounts of plastic!

*In the place of the farebox, will be a small touch screen display. This is used to change the destination sign, runbox display, and make automated announcements. All buses will say aloud what route and destination the are operating as they pull into the bus stop.

Now I think that would be the $hiznit!:cool:

You know what.... I have to do a 180 on this. I change my mind. With a little bit of money to play with and a sound plan......future.... This could be the best thing ever invented.

So let's take NX's plan.

*Keep it the way it is, but at the bus stop have mini MVM's on the pole. Say parking meter size. Accepts fare electronically, and only by Metrocard or PayPass.

*Upon payment, the light activates, and it also sends a signal to the approaching bus of your choice. If that bus is full, and the driver has coded in NEXT BUS PLEASE, your light will flash as the bus approaches, then return to normal to let the next bus know.

*This will drastically improve operations, as well as reduce headways and dwell times. It will also eliminate fareboxes, and the need for the driver to manually change the destination sign. All metrocards will be reloadable. If you go to a standard size MVM, or subway booth to reload, and your stripe is wearing out, you will automatically be issued a new one. Metrocards will now be customizable. If your card is lost or stolen, it can be deactivated immediately by computer or phone, and a new one can be issued on the spot. If it is stolen and used, the fare will be denied unless the user goes to a booth or standard MVM and enters the pen code. Thus saving large amounts of plastic!

*In the place of the farebox, will be a small touch screen display. This is used to change the destination sign, runbox display, and make automated announcements. All buses will say aloud what route and destination the are operating as they pull into the bus stop.

Now I think that would be the $hiznit!:cool:

Now that. is. AWESOME!!! :tup:x100000!

Not a bad idea. It has its merits.

If the "punchbox" were solar powered, the only costs would be paying the labor who initially install it & the occasional inspection by techs.

Perfect. This will further reduce costs, and use natural energy.:cool:

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

EDIT: Problems solved. And if the person gets on the wrong bus, the driver can punch it into the touch screen and the person will be issued a "Courtesy Transfer." They will need to swipe this x-fer at the MVM, and it will automatically update.

The cost would be offset by the gains, and you don't have to worry about anybody pushing it for fun, because there is nothing to push.

I see your reasoning behind the idea but I think it is better the way it is now. At large bus stops where multiple buses stop, it's very likely that there will be someone who wants to get on your bus, even though a ton of other bus routes stop there (think hubs such as Flushing). At bus stops in more residential areas, where 2 or more bus routes overlap, then people at the bus stops usually signal to the B/O whether they want to get on or not. If a B/O sees someone just sitting at a bus stop not getting ready to board the bus, then it is a pretty safe assumption that they do not want that bus. I know whenever I'm in a situation like that and a bus other than the one I want comes, I just shake my head no and the B/O knows not to stop (in cases where I'm the only one at the stop).

• 2 weeks later...

What i hate the most is when there's bunching and a bus of the same route will pull in and stop behind the leader when nobody wants off and the leader is picking up everyone at the stop....Go around and on to the next stop.....this pisses me off to no-end when time is an issue

It happens alot in Manhattan, the boroughs not so much.

Archived