82ft double artic on test run in Munich

keysersoze

For the Easter Weekend, the Munich transit authority MVG is testing an 82feet long double articulated bus, the manufacturer is Hess. The writing on the side of the bus says: "Mehr Bus - mehr Umwelt", which means "More bus - more nature".

It's in passenger service on route 54, one of Munich's longest bus routes (a one-way run is some 1hr 20 minutes).

Here are some shots from today, taken at Munich's Eastern Railway Station:

the "white giant" squeezed in between two regular 60ft artics:

200803220016hf2.jpg

note the strikingly bigger size in comparison to the 60ft artic in the back:

200803220024js5.jpg

200803220021te5.jpg

should've asked the nice lady to take a few steps back... alas, I'll try that shot again on Monday :(

200803220030fs1.jpg

Bonus picture of the day: my favourite type of 40ft buses are the 1993/1994 Mercedes-Benz O405N. Munich MVG bought a total of 72 buses of this type. They are going to be retired this and next year:

200803220035nl4.jpg

edit: I also just uploaded two vids of the buses... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgfeZH33e7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhZRAgjTL0

All I can say is wow! That's a train on wheels. :eek: I would be a little uneasy to ride on the center portion of that bus to be honest.

Thanks for posting Oliver.

You're welcome Harry! It was really an interesting ride... and it actually feels quite comfortable, I've ridden all 3 portions of the bus and it goes quite well, even around sharp turns and bends... the driver surely had a really good time :(

In addition, here's a vid I took from the back of the bus, with the bus going through a double bend. Best viewed in full screen size on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-psxyhSEwo

Wow, great pics of an amazing bus. Wonder if something like that can run a route like the 159 or the 13 here in Joisey. I would imagine something like that can run down the M15.
Thanks Pablo! Yes, the capacity of the bus would surely do good to the M15... I've read that it's the bus route with the highest ridership in the whole US!

The Van-Hool bi-artic looks alot better, hands down. I highly doubt such huge buses will be seen here. They don't allow tandem 48-53ft trailers, south of Yonkers, less than one of those behemoth buses, on these crowded streets.

For the Easter Weekend, the Munich transit authority MVG is testing an 82feet long double articulated bus, the manufacturer is Hess. The writing on the side of the bus says: "Mehr Bus - mehr Umwelt"

Hess made beautiful bus but this is so so Orrible,umglaublisch!

I see a lot of hess megatrolley in Geneva/Genf but this is so similar to

v_7_ill_842370_sardine.jpg

hahahahahahahahaahaha or three box united hahahhahaha

OT:I know München "the most northen italian city" munich people says...the most perfect city of germany I say ;) In the truth I love munich for his nightlife..

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you liked the pictures! :D

Munich has already had a double-artic for test runs in 1983, then built by MAN... but never has a series of them been ordered.

I actually doubt that Munich will ever see double artics in revenue service...

• 2 months later...
That thing is madd huge! Nice shots, but I wouldn't want to see one of those here. MTS needs to make a damn RTS Artic!
I'm guessing it would be very difficult to make an Artic based on the RTS, since the RTS is roundish, notice all Artics are brick shaped. The bendy part will be a challenge to make properly IMO.

Archived