Daily Commute

checkmatechamp13

This is a thread about what commutes you often take:

Which train lines/bus lines/other modes of transportation are involved?

Was your commute affected by the service reductions?

What could be made better about your commute?

I'll start:

When school is in session, I generally take either the S44 or S89 to Walker Street and transfer to the S46/S96. Going back home, I generally take the S46/S96 directly home.

Now that I'm doing something over the summer, I generally take the S46 or S48 to Bay Street/Victory Blvd or the S40 to St George and either walk or take a bus (S51/S74/S76) down to Stapleton.

None of these lines were affected by the service reductions and the only thing that could really be done to make my trip easier is to make sure the buses connect more conveniently.

When I want to High school in Manhattan, I commuted 2 ways:

(1) S51, S52, S74, S78 buses or SIR to Staten Island Ferry, then M9, or M15 bus to Grand St

(2) Once off the ferry, I took the (J)(M)(Z) from Broad St to Essex St.

OR......

If I didn't take the ferry:

(3) SIR to Grasmere, then S53 to Bay Ridge, then I took the (R) to 4 Av-9 St and then got the (F) To Delancey St.

I used option 3 most of the time because I really didn't like taking the ferry due to the buses that serve the ferry take forever to show and were always crowded.

Before when I had to go to 241 St/White Plains Road, I had to take the Q44 to the (2). Funny thing is that I could never get a seat on that bus, even at 4:30 am. I hated that bus. No, I cannot use the past tense because I still hate that damn $^*)&%$#@ bus route.

Now I drive. Before it was 1 hour 35 minutes to get to work. Now? 20 minutes. You have a better chance of seeing me run around Citi Field wearing a Speedo and twirling tassels on my nipples, in 40 degree weather, than seeing me on the Q44 ever again.

I used to take karate lessons and I took the (B8) bus from New York Av all the way to 86 St. Or I took the (D)/(Mx)/(W) to 18 Av instead. This was all the way back from Shuttle-(W)-Train-On-The-Weekends in 2001 up until after the (D) took over the West End line. Good times.

To visit my family in Midwood, I take the (B8) from New York Av to Coney Island Av. Or I could take the (Q) to Avenue H, it really depends on where I'm coming from.

My middle school was near Grand Army Plaza, and I took the (2)(3) there, or the (B)(Q) to 7th Ave. Although I tended to take the (3) to the (5) and vice-versea.

To go to my high school I have to take the (1) to 137 St - City College, or the (A)(B)(C)(D) to 145 St. I have a truckload of possible combinations. I've been told to just stick with the (2) to the (1) train.

It's quick and probably the best bet of all possible combinations.

I also like to transfer between the (2) and (A) at Fulton St, because the location of entrances/exits is really convienent. I was also thinking of taking the (M100)/(M101) to the (5) train if I have time or whatever.

I have four ways to get to my highschool.

1. Take the (B) or (Q) train from Church Av to Prospect Pk, transfer to the (S), take it to Franklin Av, transfer to the (C), take it to Bdwy Junc, and then finnaly transfer to the (J) and take it to 75th St.

2. Take the B35 to McDonald Av, transfer to the (F) or (G) at Church Av. For the (F), I can take it to Jay St and transfer to the (A) or (C). For the (G), I can take it to Hoyt-Schermerhorn St and transfer to the (A) or (C).

3. Take the (2) or (5) train from Church Av to Franklin Av, transfer to the (S), take it to Franklin and Fulton, then transfer to the (C).

4. Take the long, boring, crowded ass, B12 bus ride to Alabama Av, transfer to the (J) and take it to 75th St.

Now the good things about my commute; I can hear the (A) and (C) t/o's go at it with the blowing of the horn, get a view of lower Manhattan on the (F)/(G), ride an R42 (J)/(Z), and enjoy the great sound of an 160 Siemens. B)

When I used to go to my high school, I would take the (Q) to Avenue M from 7th Avenue (which would be a problem now with the construction. Good thing I graduated) or I would take the B41 to Foster to the B49 bus, depending on what came first at 7th Ave and Flatbush, the beeping for the CI bound train or the B41 in site.

My new trip for college will be the (R) to Atlantic to the (D) to 145.

When I start at Lehman College next Thursday, I have a few options to get there. Although the main entrance is at Bedford Park Blvd, the building where I have classes in is closer to Kingsbridge Road and 196th Street.

1. Take the (Bx15), (Bx17), or (Bx55) to Fordham Plaza, then walk up Kingsbridge Rd and Jerome Avenue.

2. Take the (Bx6), or walk from my house, to Yankee Stadium, then take either the (B), (D), or (4) to Kingsbridge Rd.

3. Take the (2) to Allerton Av, then take the (Bx26) to Lehman College. I'm mostly going to use this option for returning from school as to avoid the crowds on the (4) and the infamous transfer at 149th St-Grand Concourse.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Going to work, I have 2 main options...

1. Take the B60 at Wilson/Halsey to the (L) at Montrose Av, then take the (L) to 1 Av where I catch the M15 LTD 1 stop to 23 St and either wait for the M16 or just walk

2. Take the B26 at Halsey/Wilson to the Last stop (Myrtle-Wyckoff) and catch the (L) from there

Going home its different (I take the long way on purpose)...

-M16 to Park Av

-(6) train to 42 St or 59 St

-(7) (42 St) or (N) (59 St) to Queensboro Plz

-Q67 to Metropolitan Sta

-(M) train to Myrtle-Wyckoff (or Seneca if I wanna go to 7-11 lol)

-B26 home

Monday: I usually do free style.

MET

Weekdays:

Option 1:

Board (Q72) at Junction Blvd/37th Av to LGA, transfer to (M60) to 125th St/7th Av for (M2).

Sometimes (M15) LTD to 88th (M86) or (M79) at 79th St

Option 2:

Take Manhattan-bound (7) to 74th St-Broadway/JH-Roosevelt Av for Manhattan-bound (E)(M) to 5th Av-53rd St or (R) to 5th Av-59th St.

Cloisters:

Board (Q72) at Junction Blvd/37th Av to LGA, transfer to (M60) to 125th St/Frederick Douglass Blvd.

Enter 125th St (A)(:)(C)(D) at 127th St/St. Nick and take uptown (A) to 190th St for M4.

Always different on return trip.

Weekends:

Depends on G.O and to see reaction on any passengers on affected buses.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Going to work, I have 2 main options...

1. Take the B60 at Wilson/Halsey to the (L) at Montrose Av, then take the (L) to 1 Av where I catch the M15 LTD 1 stop to 23 St and either wait for the M16 or just walk

2. Take the B26 at Halsey/Wilson to the Last stop (Myrtle-Wyckoff) and catch the (L) from there

Going home its different (I take the long way on purpose)...

-M16 to Park Av

-(6) train to 42 St or 59 St

-(7) (42 St) or (N) (59 St) to Queensboro Plz

-Q67 to Metropolitan Sta

-(M) train to Myrtle-Wyckoff (or Seneca if I wanna go to 7-11 lol)

-B26 home

I'm assuming you have an unlimited MetroCard to be able to do this every day. That's $4.50 in the morning and $6.75 in the afternoon. You'd break even in about 9 days if you had a monthly MetroCard.

Wirelessly posted via (SAMSUNG-SGH-T469/T469UVIG4 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Just started work recently. My AM commute is Q25 Limited (sometimes local) To Q111 or Q113(LCL or LTD). After work I mostly use the Q111 or Q113 LCL, sometimes the Q3 depending on what I have to do after work

Before when I had to go to 241 St/White Plains Road, I had to take the Q44 to the (2). Funny thing is that I could never get a seat on that bus, even at 4:30 am. I hated that bus. No, I cannot use the past tense because I still hate that damn $^*)&%$#@ bus route.

Now I drive. Before it was 1 hour 35 minutes to get to work. Now? 20 minutes. You have a better chance of seeing me run around Citi Field wearing a Speedo and twirling tassels on my nipples, in 40 degree weather, than seeing me on the Q44 ever again.

LMFAO.

I hate the Q44 too.

For 4 years my commute was the Q85 to the Q44 (and vice versa), it took over an hour each way. Driving there took like 30 minutes (heavy morning traffic) and 15 minutes back. Both were always crowded, I hated it. My commute was almost as long as my school day, only about an hour shorter.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I'm assuming you have an unlimited MetroCard to be able to do this every day. That's $4.50 in the morning and $6.75 in the afternoon. You'd break even in about 9 days if you had a monthly MetroCard.

Of course lol. If it wasn't for my job this would be my commute...

Walk to the (L) train at Halsey St and take that to 1 av for the M15 then walk from 23 St to my job.

Going home, I walk from my job to 23 St on the (6) and take that to Union Sq for the (L) and take the B26 at myrtle-Wyckoff.

Total cost: $4.50 :cool:

When I first started high school, I would take the B25 to the B48 and get off at the stop by McCarren Park. Within two months, I tried something different. I took the B46 to the B48 and that was relatively quicker than the former. Then at the end of my freshman year I decided to ride the subway instead of the bus. I'd either take the (A)/© train to Hoyt Street for the (G) to Metropolitan AVenue or took the (L) at Broadway Junction to Lorimer Street. In sophomore year, I tried something different again. I took the (C) to 14th Street in Manhattan for the (L) to Lorimer Street, but coming home I'd take the (L) to Broadway Junction for the (C) train home. That remained the normal pattern until senior year when I decided to take the "via Manhattan" route home...I'd take the (L) to Eighth Avenue and ride a Slant on the (A) home.

The funny thing is, even when I went to school via the Manhattan route, the commute was only 40 minutes.

In college, the pattern was straight-forward...(C) to Broadway - Nassau Street, SI Ferry, then the S62 to the college entrance (although the S61 also took me to college via a back entrance). Coming home, I almost never took the ferry...I'd take the S79 at the Mall and get on the (R) train at 86th Street...then it was either the (F) or the (G) at Fourth Avenue and then the (A)/©.

Back in middle school, I used to take the Bx41 to E 219th Street, and then walk to school...

Now that I'm going to High School, I have a few options....

Option 1: Bx39 to Gun Hill Road, then either the Bx41, to 204th Street, (or the BX28, 30, or 38 to 206/Bainbridge.) then walk to the (D) train at E 206 Street and Bainbridge Av. Then the (D) to Columbus Circle, for the (C), which I would take one stop to 50th Street, then walk to school.

Option 2: (2) train to 72nd Street, then the (1) to 50th Street.

Option 3: Bx8 to Westchester Square, then the <6> to 51st Street, then either take the M50 to 10th Avenue, or the (E) to 50th Street....

This is going to be a LONG year....

When I go to work, I take the QBx1 from Co-Op City and take it to Pelham Bay Park and take the <6> to work. If there's a problem with the <6> in the Bronx, I can take the Bx30 to Dyre Ave or the Bx38 to Gun Hill Rd and catch the (5). I'll have to walk a few mins from the Bx30 to the (5) if I take it or if the Bx16 is there, I'll go one stop and get on the (5) from there. Once I'm on the train, I'll take it to 125th and catch the (6)<6> there.

Back in middle school, I used to take the Bx41 to E 219th Street, and then walk to school...

Now that I'm going to High School, I have a few options....

Option 1: Bx39 to Gun Hill Road, then either the Bx41, to 204th Street, (or the BX28, 30, or 38 to 206/Bainbridge.) then walk to the (D) train at E 206 Street and Bainbridge Av. Then the (D) to Columbus Circle, for the (C), which I would take one stop to 50th Street, then walk to school.

Option 2: (2) train to 72nd Street, then the (1) to 50th Street.

Option 3: Bx8 to Westchester Square, then the <6> to 51st Street, then either take the M50 to 10th Avenue, or the (E) to 50th Street....

This is going to be a LONG year....

By the way, can you also take the Bx16 to Norwood for the D (So you don't have to use up your MetroCard transfer) or are you too far from 233rd Street?

It's so funny because I'm dead in the center on the Q25/34 that could take it either way to Jamaica or Flushing both are the same distance and time....on good days I will take the bus to Flushing for the <7> on the bad go to Parsons (F) or JC (E)....

On the Insanely hot days when I dont feel like the subway and my Metrocard has enough on it for the 5.50 fare....I'll take the QM1/4/5/6 and transfer to the Q25/34....I mostly only take the Express bus for going home...Very Very Rarely do I take it into the City

Since I will be living in Brooklyn and will most likely be going to C.S.I, I will have another two options:

1. Take the (2) or the (5) from Sterling St to Atlantic Av, the take the (R) to 86 St and then take the (S93) to C.S.I

Or.....

2. Take the (5) from Sterling St to Union Sq and take the X10.

I live in the northwest Bronx and am lucky enough to be able to walk to school. The college I do research at 2-3 days a week is in Downtown Brooklyn, and there are 4 different ways I can get there:

1) Take the (1) to 168 St and then take the (A) to Jay St-Borough Hall

2) Take the (1) to 96 St and then take the (2) or (3) to Borough Hall

3) Take the (D) to West 4 St and then take the (F) to Jay St-Borough Hall

4) Take the (4) directly to Borough Hall.

Of these routes, I've found that the (4) generally gets me to/from the college in about 1 hour, 15 minutes (50-55 minutes on the train and a 20- to 25-minute walk from the station to my house). Both routes that use the (1) take 1 hour, 20 minutes to an hour and a half, and the (D) usually takes about 1 hour, 25 minutes. If I have a little extra money and it's a weekend, I'll take the (4) to GCT and take Metro-North to Riverdale. The walk back is about 40 minutes, but it's beautiful and total trip time is usually only about 2 hours.

By the way, can you also take the Bx16 to Norwood for the D (So you don't have to use up your MetroCard transfer) or are you too far from 233rd Street?

I'm pretty close, but I have to think about my feet, since I have to wear dress shoes as part of my uniform...

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Here's my summer commute (on nice days)

To Work

-Skateboard to Myrtle-Wyckoff (L)

-(L) to 1 Av

-Skateboard from 1 Av-14 St to my job at Waterside Plaza

To Home (Bushwick)

-Skateboard from my job to 1 Av (L)

-(L) to Myrtle-Wyckoff

-Skateboard home from there

To Home (Glendale)

-M15 from 23 St to 42 St

-Skateboard down 42 St (nothing but downhill :cool:) to Grand Central